Rethink, Rework, Reboot. Building a preset - JCM800 - Major Twist for ANY Preset

Thanks sharing the luv, that is, the results of your rethinking/reworking, here for everyone's benefit! There's a working player in my town that has always gone to great lengths to cover up or otherwise hide his gear so no one will find out the "secrets" to his special sound. I just roll my eyes.:roll

I've added the PEQ setup to several of my presets and they all sound better, except for my George Benson type jazz sound which still needs a little tweaking. Which got me wondering how you even thought it was a good idea (and why it works so well)--boosting the very frequency (and it's octaves) that the tone stack was designed to heavily cut...

Do amps wish that guitar PUs were more mid-rangy? The result speaks for itself, but the logic is baffling to me.

Mixing trick. Just used a technique that I normally do in mixing but applying it before the preamp, which I've never tried. I tried it and it worked really well.

For darker jazzy type of applications like you are discussing, just use a lower number on the top part (band 4). Use a multiple of the tone stack, ie. if the "tone freq" is 600hz, band two would be 300hz so add them together instead of doubling the 'tone freq'; in this case it would be good to start at about 900hz. Then adjust by ear. The bigger key was the Q settings, which were JUST as important to making this work in the end. I spent some time critically analyzing that by ear. Depending on where you end up on the higher band, you might have to tighten (raise) the Q of the curve to make it work.

There's as much art in this as science, so always trust your ears and not just your eyes.

A very big thank you from me too!
The cab mix rec. was awesome!
I coppied the same mix for my basketweave 20watts cab and another one for my basketweave 25watts (using r121 room mic).
I also tried using 2 hi res mono cabs, one with your recipe and one with one of the basketweave ones. Then I use the levels on each cab to balance the sound. It just sounds huge, clear, expressive, without ever being harsh...
I also used your peq trick and it works like a charm (I have a standard so I use 2 peqs, one with +4dbs and one with +6dbs).
Amazing stuff...
Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice work Scott. I have been meaning to comment on this for a while but a week of skiing changed my focus for a while. Even using the stock cabs this preset sounds great. Thanks for sharing. You should start calling these threads 'Scott's Road to Tone Success!'.

Great thread indeed...for years I used graphic/para EQ's in my analog pedalboard for tuned, clean boosts for leads, fatten up a sound a bit, make up a 'deficiency' in any guitar/pickup/amp combination, etc., and I've translated that methodology into the AXF.

Cool insight into your current 'state of the art' Scott...isn't it great to be able to 'rewire' and rearrange your rack and pedalboard (and have it all work lol) in a few minutes???

Last edited:
Thanks for this latest thread Scott!

I’m swapping various amps into your preset template and enjoying every one, more than my own creations. I’m learning more and enjoying the Fractal more with each twist in the amp / cab adventure.

I also want to thank you for your consistently great and inspiring posts. I know you have had to deal with the occasional meat head or trawler, but your posts are always civil and metered.

In my case your This Thing is a Monster thread, is why I own a Fractal, started playing again, and enjoy occasionally lurking here. Great to learn from you, again.

Keep ‘em coming.

Looks like im the only one in this thread who had this problem...Im not getting any sound when i load this patch. can someone guide me through this. This is the first user patch ive tried so far. i just got axe editor up and running a few minutes ago. i was so anxious to try scott's jcm 800 patch.

i tried changing the cab. didnt do anything. it looks like scott had a stock cab in there already. it was EL 1x12 or something like that.

When I loaded his preset, it went User 4. I had a RedWirez cab in user 4, but I swaped it for something more suited to a JCM800. Worked great.

Load the patch on axe-edit, check that the signal chain is not broken from start to finish. It was broken for me - prolly coz I have a Standard and the patch was made for an Ultra?

it does l0ok like the chain is broken....but this chain is so complex that i dont know how to attach it or where to attach it.
looks like the main chain with the amp and cab ends before the output. but then the fx loop chain is below the main signal chain and goes all the way to the output.
does anyone know how he attaches the chains together. i have an ultra but the chain still ended up broken. not sure why.

the patch looks the same as the screenshot scott has on the first page of this thread. Is that a complete patch? it looks broken to me. then again i have no idea how to use and attach an effect loop

Scott's patch doesn't use the FX Loop. He is using the Send/Return pair to help with the routing. The input of the Send block is reflected at the output of the Receive block; IOW, the Send is the input and the Receive is the output of a single logical block.

the patch looks the same as the screenshot scott has on the first page of this thread. Is that a complete patch? it looks broken to me. then again i have no idea how to use and attach an effect loop

Here's the simplest way to hear the patch and use it.

Remove everything but the amp and cab. You'll need to use a proper cab - the amp is dialed for the specific cab. Outside of the User Cab (should be User 4 as others have noted), then if you have a Standard, I used 4 PEQ's. You'll have to only use a total of two with the Standard. The "Send" and "Receive" are not a loop, but just extend the grid. Every effect I have in there is tied to an expression pedal and if you do not have any expression pedals, you'll have to right click each of those effects in Axe-Edit (or click on the effect first and then click on 'Controllers') and remove those controllers.

It was not designed for a Standard; and honestly was never meant to share either - these are the the actual 'production' patches I use every day.

ok...i really dont understand all that. so if the patch is all correct, any ideas on why im not getting sound? im sure its probably something simple that im not doing right. does anyone know if there are any expression pedal settings on the patch that may cause me to not be getting sound?
sorry but im not that familiar with the unit yet. only had it a week

thanks scott ill give it a try
do i have to remove everything or can i just bypass the blocks?

You should be able to do that but I don't know what is happening inside your Standard to the signal chain. It's actually not a complicated signal flow; just that most of the effects are in parallel due to my preference.

Back
Top Bottom