Rethink, Rework, Reboot. Building a preset - JCM800 - Major Twist for ANY Preset

Yes, it matters. LOL.

The presets have controllers attached to most all the effects blocks. You will have to either remove those controlers or just delete the blocks to just use the amp & cab if that is what you want to check out.

I solved this problem on my Standard,this way... Connected any broken sections,then,still, no sound.I found the return mix was set to zero,floored it,now,they will all play.Beautifully,too.Thanks Scott.

Last edited:
Yes I do soundcheck with the solo boost on so they can peak levels. I play at normal volume for overall levels, then hit the solo boost for a quick level check and that seals it for the show.

Here's a more indepth answer to basically the same 'solo boost' question from TGP that might be helpful to some here too:

PEQ block as boost - much more flexible and configurable than a filter boost. I can block off the low end sludge and the high end garbage from the front of the amp and specifically dial in the sort of EQ curve and gain into the amp. It's far more practical in terms of stacking, IMHO.

Solo Boost: I use Matman's suggestion. (*Note I use 115 as the 'normal' lowered volume though)

Here's a crappy shot from my cell phone of my board; note the "SOLO" switch (it is the white one with the Xotic RC Boost as the background and LED light off), that's the one I use with Matman's suggestion above. Zero CPU overhead, zero chance of ever clipping the output and totally effective and practical for my purposes.

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Scott: how do you activate Reverb with this pedal setup?

Scott: how do you activate Reverb with this pedal setup?

I don't. I do not use reverb live and when recording, I just do it manually from the front of the Axe-FX if needed (though I rarely print with reverb, I record dry and add it in post mixdown).

Scott, i read through this as well as your responses to questions, and wow. I've adjusted these to taste, but wow the base you set was great, and sounds so good I'm contemplating taking my drive blocks off my IA slots and adding in more PEQ's....and I LOVE my drive blocks..haha (always loved OD Pedals) (GCPro just doesn't have enough IA for my setup)

Hey Scott: I'm using your patches with the same guitar (PRS Cu22) with your cab recipe, through a QSC H122i and they seem very dark to me. You used to have a 122i. Was it substantially darker than the Verve you're using now?

Thanks again Scott. I had a very successful studio session today (on very short notice). I used three basic sounds and had to tweak them on the spot. I knew I would have to do that so my rig was simple: headphones (beyerdynamic), a headphone amp (fiio e9), axefx and my suhr gg (remember, simple... not cheap). When I arrived at the studio I sat down, plugged the axefx to the headphone amp and used your preset as a template for the sounds. In no time I was able to dial them in and from experience I knew that they would translate well (usually I wouldn't be using headphones). A few minutes later, plugged into the desk and the tones were ready and rockin'! All I had to worry about was being able to play! ;-) Thanks!

Hey Scott: I'm using your patches with the same guitar (PRS Cu22) with your cab recipe, through a QSC H122i and they seem very dark to me. You used to have a 122i. Was it substantially darker than the Verve you're using now?

Good question. I don't dial for the QSC or the Verve. They are stage monitors, not a critical listening devices. I do not use them as a reference at all; same with any other stage monitor. Dialed in near-field studio monitors in a treated room. That's how I do my sounds and how I use them, except for live.

Interestingly, if you read some of the other responses, they feel the tones are too bright. lol. It's always going to need some serious EQ work in the amp block to make it work for your guitar and your hands versus mine.

Thanks again Scott. I had a very successful studio session today (on very short notice). I used three basic sounds and had to tweak them on the spot. I knew I would have to do that so my rig was simple: headphones (beyerdynamic), a headphone amp (fiio e9), axefx and my suhr gg (remember, simple... not cheap). When I arrived at the studio I sat down, plugged the axefx to the headphone amp and used your preset as a template for the sounds. In no time I was able to dial them in and from experience I knew that they would translate well (usually I wouldn't be using headphones). A few minutes later, plugged into the desk and the tones were ready and rockin'! All I had to worry about was being able to play! ;-) Thanks!

Cool. Really glad that these tones are helping folks out; brightens my day!

Hello Scott,

Iam from germany, and sorry my english is horrible but I have a very very big problem, and I hope you can help me!

So what you wrote here to use the PEQ can maybe help me to find my ultimate strat clean-tone.
Iam a newcommer with my axe-fx ultra. I play it directly in a PA (modell: KS Sat 3.0), Iam a Top40 musican and Iam tweaking lasting for weeks
but I cant find my ultimate strat clean-tone. So what is my strat clean-tone?
I have a Tom Anderson 3 single-coil strat, and bevore I bought the ultra I played my strat into a Fender Cyber Deluxe-Amp.
And, please dont laugh my cyber deluxe is now my reference amp. I played it with line-outs stereo in the PA, the internal speaker of the cyber is off,
so I can switch between the ultra and the fender. The clean sound out of the fender have much more sweetness in the treble, and its much better than the clean from the axe.
I tweaked and tweaked te axe by the use of all clean amp-sims and all stock cabs, I dont use anything else in the patch, no eq or someone else in hope to find my clean tone without eqs.
So now I have read your article and I think I must take the PEQs, but I dont know how to use it to find my strat rhythm clean tone, please can you help me and
sorry for this horrible english!
I want to buy the ownhammer IRs is this eventualy a solution for me or the Redwire IRs,
I have no paypal acount, can I buy the IRs only this way ?

Thank you, regards
Uwe from germany

Cool. Really glad that these tones are helping folks out; brightens my day![/QUOTE]

Hi Scott, This is probably a rediculous question, but I notice you don't have any buttons reserved for patch changes. How if your MCF101 setup? Are the pedal names aligned to the "reveal" function, but your patches are available when the reveal is not engaged. I notived others have the first ros for their patches, and the rest for stopms etc.
Thanks
AndrePS: I don't have my MCF101 yet, so this is the reason for my ignorance.

Hello Scott,

Iam from germany, and sorry my english is horrible but I have a very very big problem, and I hope you can help me!

So what you wrote here to use the PEQ can maybe help me to find my ultimate strat clean-tone.
Iam a newcommer with my axe-fx ultra. I play it directly in a PA (modell: KS Sat 3.0), Iam a Top40 musican and Iam tweaking lasting for weeks
but I cant find my ultimate strat clean-tone. So what is my strat clean-tone?
I have a Tom Anderson 3 single-coil strat, and bevore I bought the ultra I played my strat into a Fender Cyber Deluxe-Amp.
And, please dont laugh my cyber deluxe is now my reference amp. I played it with line-outs stereo in the PA, the internal speaker of the cyber is off,
so I can switch between the ultra and the fender. The clean sound out of the fender have much more sweetness in the treble, and its much better than the clean from the axe.
I tweaked and tweaked te axe by the use of all clean amp-sims and all stock cabs, I dont use anything else in the patch, no eq or someone else in hope to find my clean tone without eqs.
So now I have read your article and I think I must take the PEQs, but I dont know how to use it to find my strat rhythm clean tone, please can you help me and
sorry for this horrible english!
I want to buy the ownhammer IRs is this eventualy a solution for me or the Redwire IRs,
I have no paypal acount, can I buy the IRs only this way ?

Thank you, regards
Uwe from germany

Just drop a PEQ in your signal chain and listen. Don't be afraid to use EQ/PEQ/GEQ. They are very powerful tone shaping tools. The Axe-FX is NOT a 1:1 modeling 'copy of' sort of paradigm. It's a modeling base that you then shape and control how you desire.

Hi Scott, This is probably a rediculous question, but I notice you don't have any buttons reserved for patch changes. How if your MCF101 setup? Are the pedal names aligned to the "reveal" function, but your patches are available when the reveal is not engaged. I notived others have the first ros for their patches, and the rest for stopms etc.
Thanks
AndrePS: I don't have my MCF101 yet, so this is the reason for my ignorance.

The bottom 5 switches are for presets always (banks = 5 presets in my rig) and then once you hit reveal, they are what the labels show.

I am a new Ultra owner and new to this forum. This thread is awesome. I was not blown away by the presets and was thinking, meh. But after using Scott's presets and IR mix in this thread, I am stunned by the tone. The string to string definition on this is incredible, better than I have ever had on any of my tube amps. Which include a Cornford Harlequin, a Splawn Quickrod, and a pre-500 Dual Recto. Awesome post Scott. Thanks.

I am a new Ultra owner and new to this forum. This thread is awesome. I was not blown away by the presets and was thinking, meh. But after using Scott's presets and IR mix in this thread, I am stunned by the tone. The string to string definition on this is incredible, better than I have ever had on any of my tube amps. Which include a Cornford Harlequin, a Splawn Quickrod, and a pre-500 Dual Recto. Awesome post Scott. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to have helped in any way.

Hi Scott, I was checking out your 2204 patch and appreciate you putting it up.
I was curious why you stopped putting the Tape Dist at the end of your chain?
Do you only do that if you're using it in a recording setup? Thanks!

Hi Scott, I was checking out your 2204 patch and appreciate you putting it up.I was curious why you stopped putting the Tape Dist at the end of your chain? Do you only do that if you're using it in a recording setup? Thanks!
can't run in stereo using a tape drive at end of the signal chain.

Last edited:
can't run in stereo using a tape delay at end of the signal chain.
No not the delay, the Drive.
You'd mentioned how it is really useful when used at the end of your chain to add some tape-like characteristics to the sound.
I notice you've now got it in the chain but before the amp.
The reason I'm curious is because I've been playing with tape distortion in my DAW lately and was considering adding it to some of my patches right at the end to warm things up.

No not the delay, the Drive.
You'd mentioned how it is really useful when used at the end of your chain to add some tape-like characteristics to the sound.
I notice you've now got it in the chain but before the amp.
The reason I'm curious is because I've been playing with tape distortion in my DAW lately and was considering adding it to some of my patches right at the end to warm things up.

Sorry I am on a family vacation on my Droid phone - so sometimes the posts are a bit 'off'.

The Tape Drive is mono; so at the end of a chain, it makes the signal mono. I might use it to color, but found that it wasn't necessary to what I was doing with the Ultra at the end of my signal and I preferred running in stereo.

Back
Top Bottom