refret a mid level guitar with SS?

That one has the non-fine tuner Floyd in it. The brown pickup bobbins are a interesting look too. Looks like a pretty sweet guitar, but I've not had the chance to try one yet.

That one has the non-fine tuner Floyd in it. The brown pickup bobbins are a interesting look too. Looks like a pretty sweet guitar, but I've not had the chance to try one yet.
I believe thats a 2017 model and think that price has been jacked up quite a bit. Def not the price of what it was brought in for and given the amount of time I'm sure its been in stock, not moving. Still interesting. It's a strange time for buying guitars. Was chatting with sales guy at the shop other day and was a bit surprised by some of the things he told me. For one, the used market, at least locally, is dead slow...selling prices generally suck. higher end guitars that you'd think would be very popular at the stores aren't moving much.

Used and new prices around here (US) seem high to me. Some interesting but expensive guitars aren't selling, but probably will eventually.

Bit of follow up with my current thought process. I have a number of guitars in my little collection and to be honest I'm the type of guy who just keeps picking up the same 1 or 2 which has me thinking less is more , especially if you thin out for a higher tier player. I'm considering selling this Charvel that I"ve modded and bonded with. (i'm actually considering this gorgeous EBMM JP15 that would likely be my go to and covers the super strat ground well)

Here's the question: when you're selling guitars that you've modded. I know you never recover the costs but what say you? should I reverse the mods made on the guitar back to stock and just sell at market value? sell off the upgrade components separate or reuse for future projects?

the mods to my Charvel Pro mod dk24: wilkinson wvs130 bridge (cost roughly $300) ; suhr pickups (ssh/ssv) - roughly $300. ; ratio staggered locking tuners (forget what i paid and honestly i'd just leave them on)

I easily spent $600 on mods which I know i won't recover ...wondering best bang for my buck for sale of this instrument...
You know the USA DK-24 has SS frets, right? And a very nice top to boot!

Of course, the purple guitar is very nice looking, too.

7276000B-9C93-4ECD-8FBD-F096AC6AEB36.jpeg

@unix-guy those are stunning. I have never seen Charvel's locally with nice finishes like that. Usually just solid or like the ash grain type finishes. If I saw one like yours there I'd probs be all over it....
edit: spoke to soon I just checked my local guitar chain store website and they have the one you have there on the left. hot damn. It'd be about $800 more than the JP15. oof. Would you say the neck shape etc is just like the mexican pro mod dk24's? obviously with SS frets and better fret work etc?

@unix-guy those are stunning. I have never seen Charvel's locally with nice finishes like that. Usually just solid or like the ash grain type finishes. If I saw one like yours there I'd probs be all over it....
edit: spoke to soon I just checked my local guitar chain store website and they have the one you have there on the left. hot damn. It'd be about $800 more than the JP15. oof. Would you say the neck shape etc is just like the mexican pro mod dk24's? obviously with SS frets and better fret work etc?
The necks feel virtually identical to my hands.

They usually have more flame I think, although my MIM is an early model and has some flame... And I have no issues with the MIM neck - no sharp fret ends, etc.

The one thing I noticed is that the headstock on the MIM seems a little thinner...

The HH models I don't think they made after the first year or two.

Then of course there is a Guthrie Govan Charvel Sig (flame maple HSH) i just noticed at my guitar chain that is discounted $1000....in a neighboring city. Interesting...anyone have a Guthrie Charvel they can comment on? I can only imagine its like my DK24 , that i love, but premium spec'd. I imagine I'd absolutely love the neck
The neck is similar but the heel and body make the rest feel different. I can’t imagine you wouldn’t like it though if you already like the Charvel neck profile.

What are the big differences between the GG MJ and USA models?
I was curious as well and just found this vid comparing the two. Some basic hardware differences. Bone nut on the USA vs Graphtec on the other. Looks like Tremel-no is on the USA models (possibly not the current USA models) but not MIJ; around 2:30 he takes a digital caliper to measure points along the neck on 3 different Charvel models. around 7:00 he opens up the back cavity to look at the electronics and does some DC resistance measurements. USA top is flame maple whereas (spoiler alert) the MIJ is veneer. He took off the neck (MIJ) to confirm. That I didn't know! Pretty thorough video comparison.

Last edited:
I was curious as well and just found this vid comparing the two. Some basic hardware differences. Bone nut on the USA vs Graphtec on the other. Looks like Tremel-no is on the USA models (possibly not the current USA models) but not MIJ; around 2:30 he takes a digital caliper to measure points along the neck on 3 different Charvel models. around 7:00 he opens up the back cavity to look at the electronics and does some DC resistance measurements. USA top is flame maple whereas (spoiler alert) the MIJ is veneer. He took off the neck (MIJ) to confirm. That I didn't know! Pretty thorough video comparison.

Guthrie actually uses both, which I think says a lot about the MJ series.

While I flirt with blowing my cash on a purdy guitar I have to say....this MIM Charvel DK24 , after my mods and setup, is just insanely good and sounds and plays just as well as the 'higher end' guitars I've been looking at. The neck is near perfect for my hands. When i pick up this guitar it just feels like home. The JP15 neck is impeccable. Glassy frets but i wish the neck was just a tad beefier and wider. I love the girth /profile on my S2 594. I have big mitts and thumb over a lot...and the neck on my TA Hollow T classic is also damn perfect. If i could combine features of all 3 necks it would be the perfect beast.

Attachments

• charvel dk24.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
While I flirt with blowing my cash on a purdy guitar I have to say....this MIM Charvel DK24 , after my mods and setup, is just insanely good and sounds and plays just as well as the 'higher end' guitars I've been looking at. The neck is near perfect for my hands. When i pick up this guitar it just feels like home. The JP15 neck is impeccable. Glassy frets but i wish the neck was just a tad beefier and wider. I love the girth /profile on my S2 594. I have big mitts and thumb over a lot...and the neck on my TA Hollow T classic is also damn perfect. If i could combine features of all 3 necks it would be the perfect beast.

“Feels like home”. I’d just play it and enjoy it and not give a crap about where it was made. When it starts getting some divots in the frets, go for SS. Besides, MIM is ok imo but I do draw the line on MIC. My favorite guitar right now is a MIK SE245. I have better quality guitars US and Japan but the 245 feels like home to me.

“Feels like home”. I’d just play it and enjoy it and not give a crap about where it was made. When it starts getting some divots in the frets, go for SS. Besides, MIM is ok imo but I do draw the line on MIC. My favorite guitar right now is a MIK SE245. I have better quality guitars US and Japan but the 245 feels like home to me.
totally agree. I honestly don't give a rats ass where its made. MIM to me just means that the QC could be inconsistent but that means sometimes you find one that is incredible. This Charvel I bought for a great price. Last owner clearly didn't know how /care to do proper setup so gave up. I had the fret ends dressed. Staggered ratio tuners to bypass the string tees. It also had some funky tremel-no type stopper that i took out and put a new claw in along with the wilkinson bridge...now it feels no different than the USA select I've played in the store.

totally agree. I honestly don't give a rats ass where its made. MIM to me just means that the QC could be inconsistent but that means sometimes you find one that is incredible. This Charvel I bought for a great price. Last owner clearly didn't know how /care to do proper setup so gave up. I had the fret ends dressed. Staggered ratio tuners to bypass the string tees. It also had some funky tremel-no type stopper that i took out and put a new claw in along with the wilkinson bridge...now it feels no different than the USA select I've played in the store.

I think you’re right in that the quality could be inconsistent with MIM but there will be gems in there. I think the ‘gem’ percentage goes up with US and Japan and other non cheap labor guitars. Bottom line is the guitar the one you reach for most often? If so, that’s a good guitar no matter the origin.

Popped back in to the guitar store today as i was picking up a keyboard that just came in. Thought I'd give the Majesty a try and another go at the JP15. The Majesty was horribly setup. I don't know if the humidity/heat has done a number on it but it was near unplayable. I've read many users have noticed Majesty's often needed adjustments with weather changes. I'm sure with a proper setup it'd be amazing though. I actually prefer the neck size on it over the JP15 (except not a fan of finished necks). It does really feel like a zero interference instrument. I'd be more interested in a Majesty with a roasted maple neck. The JP15 still played great but I'm a little less convinced that I 'need' it. I've cooled my jets and the practical side is regaining control ha. I also tried a PRS studio 22 for the very first time and was quite surprised by it! Such a nice guitar and the neck felt so much better to me than all the other PRS' i've tried except for....well my S2 594. The Studio neck felt extremely similar to me. I have no idea what carve it is but I like it.

Attachments

• EBMMB.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • EBMMA.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Popped back in to the guitar store today as i was picking up a keyboard that just came in. Thought I'd give the Majesty a try and another go at the JP15. The Majesty was horribly setup. I don't know if the humidity/heat has done a number on it but it was near unplayable. I've read many users have noticed Majesty's often needed adjustments with weather changes. I'm sure with a proper setup it'd be amazing though. I actually prefer the neck size on it over the JP15 (except not a fan of finished necks). It does really feel like a zero interference instrument. I'd be more interested in a Majesty with a roasted maple neck. The JP15 still played great but I'm a little less convinced that I 'need' it. I've cooled my jets and the practical side is regaining control ha. I also tried a PRS studio 22 for the very first time and was quite surprised by it! Such a nice guitar and the neck felt so much better to me than all the other PRS' i've tried except for....well my S2 594. The Studio neck felt extremely similar to me. I have no idea what carve it is but I like it.
Something's weird with those pics, extra number on those price tags.

Neighboring city has the USA GG Charvel which i've been doing some research on. One thing I'm realizing clearly is I really prefer Charvel necks. My understanding too is that the USA GG has an even beefier neck than the DK24's which would be awesome for me. The guitar also is used and would cost a$1000 less than going for a JP15. Piezo was fun on the JP's though. Im going to see if they'd be willing to do interstore transfer for me to audition.

Back
Top Bottom