refret a mid level guitar with SS?

I'm considering investing in a dremel since I have a number of guitars I could make use of the tool for quicker work. Anyone using a dremel? can you recommend what compound and polishing discs to use. I'm looking at this one on amazon. comes with some polishing accessories though not sure if its suitable for fret wire. https://www.amazon.ca/Dremel-200-1-...12&mcid=3df86eb2216536d1a91b749f2419f343&th=1

@Andy Eagle I seem to remember you mentioned using a dremel once. any tips/recommendations?
I went with THIS ONE , I have a Dremel and for doing things like polishing I don't like the bulk.

Bit of follow up with my current thought process. I have a number of guitars in my little collection and to be honest I'm the type of guy who just keeps picking up the same 1 or 2 which has me thinking less is more , especially if you thin out for a higher tier player. I'm considering selling this Charvel that I"ve modded and bonded with. (i'm actually considering this gorgeous EBMM JP15 that would likely be my go to and covers the super strat ground well)

Here's the question: when you're selling guitars that you've modded. I know you never recover the costs but what say you? should I reverse the mods made on the guitar back to stock and just sell at market value? sell off the upgrade components separate or reuse for future projects?

the mods to my Charvel Pro mod dk24: wilkinson wvs130 bridge (cost roughly $300) ; suhr pickups (ssh/ssv) - roughly $300. ; ratio staggered locking tuners (forget what i paid and honestly i'd just leave them on)

I easily spent $600 on mods which I know i won't recover ...wondering best bang for my buck for sale of this instrument...

If you like SS and that is what you want then do it and go to something maybe a little smaller. I have a DK24 as well and I will refret it with Jescar 57110 SS when it's time because that's what I like. I liked the 55095 for a slightly smaller wire but it looks like they don't stock that in SS anymore. If you want to stay with a similar width then maybe 47104 SS. I use Jescar exclusively in my shop and have done 100's of SS conversions over the years with great results. 90% of my personal guitars have SS and the others will get them when it's time. ;)

You can check out the different wire sizes here: https://jescarmusic.com/pages/fret-wire-specifications

@Chewie5150 I vote for reversing any mods so long as you won't be able to tell that the mod was done. Swap back to the stock pickups and bridge. Keep them for another guitar or sell them for a better return than you'd get selling them with the guitar.

@Chewie5150 I vote for reversing any mods so long as you won't be able to tell that the mod was done. Swap back to the stock pickups and bridge. Keep them for another guitar or sell them for a better return than you'd get selling them with the guitar.
Agreed. i think this is the way to go. I still have the original gotoh bridge and duncan pickups

went to the candy shop today. I wanted to love the PRS CU24 but the finished neck plus this heat/humidity makes my hands extra clammy. Just can't bond with the PRS as much as I really want to. I also wonder if the frets are smaller? i find my fingers grab too much on the board whereas I remember why I loved my last JP15. Neck is near perfect. Excellent frets ..i believe they are SS medium jumbo. The only thing that I don't love on the JP15 is the pickup /piezo selector on upper horn. Gets in my way all the time when i want to do any kind of tapping ( I mostly sit while playing) and the illuminators arent exactly my thing...not bad but i'd likely swap those out. I am a bit tempted to sell off 2 guitars and grab the JP15 though I enquired about the Tiger Eye Quilt which is the finish I prefer. The purple nebula quilt there was also damn gorgeous.
View attachment guitars.jpg

Attachments

• guitars1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I use the Micro Mesh brand sand papers. They sell a kit that goes from 1,500 grit to 12,000 grit and it gives nice results. I follow that up by polishing with a Dremel and a set of polishing compounds (black, green, white). The result of that sequence is a mirrored finish.

Multi-grit fingernail polishing boards and blocks work pretty well for this too. Get the really fine ones for shining and buffing nails, not the coarser ones for shaping. They are foam cored and conform to the fret shape too. You can get them cheap by the dozen online. They're handy for sanding and polishing in woodworking and finishing projects too.

Don't enable me guys. Just got home and its interesting to play my guitars here to compare while its fresh in mind how the ones at the shop were like. I gotta say my Charvel hangs right in there in terms of playability. I also wish i had the AF3 with me at the store. I played the Iconic 5150 combo which was good but I prefer what I hear from my AF3 at home.

Last edited:
Bit of follow up with my current thought process. I have a number of guitars in my little collection and to be honest I'm the type of guy who just keeps picking up the same 1 or 2 which has me thinking less is more , especially if you thin out for a higher tier player. I'm considering selling this Charvel that I"ve modded and bonded with. (i'm actually considering this gorgeous EBMM JP15 that would likely be my go to and covers the super strat ground well)

Here's the question: when you're selling guitars that you've modded. I know you never recover the costs but what say you? should I reverse the mods made on the guitar back to stock and just sell at market value? sell off the upgrade components separate or reuse for future projects?

the mods to my Charvel Pro mod dk24: wilkinson wvs130 bridge (cost roughly $300) ; suhr pickups (ssh/ssv) - roughly $300. ; ratio staggered locking tuners (forget what i paid and honestly i'd just leave them on)

I easily spent $600 on mods which I know i won't recover ...wondering best bang for my buck for sale of this instrument...
If I can, I change the guitar back to stock and sell the upgrade parts or reuse them.

Lots of love for purple I see
jack nicholson joker GIF by Maudit

Don't enable me guys. Just got home and its interesting to play my guitars here to compare while its fresh in mind how the ones at the shop were like. I gotta say my Charvel hangs right in there in terms of playability. I also wish i had the AF3 with me at the store. I played the Iconic 5150 combo which was good but I prefer what I hear from my AF3 at home.

Well you started with putting money into a mid level guitar and now looking at $5K guitars lol. It all depends on what you’re willing to spend. I do know that my wife would make my life hard if I bought a $5K guitar lol. The price of a SS fret job would only be a slightly annoyed kind of thing.

Well you started with putting money into a mid level guitar and now looking at $5K guitars lol. It all depends on what you’re willing to spend. I do know that my wife would make my life hard if I bought a $5K guitar lol. The price of a SS fret job would only be a slightly annoyed kind of thing.
that's a fair observation. I initially considered a refret but have since realized its not necessary on this guitar then got me thinking about consolidating some of my 'cheaper' guitars for one 'premium'. the ongoing chase with gear. My practical side says keep what I got. but I've always wanted a gorgeous finish JP15/suhr/anderson but the latter two prices are just way out of my reach. The jP15 is really pushing it but again, with some sales of 2 guitars I could manage

that's a fair observation. I initially considered a refret but have since realized its not necessary on this guitar then got me thinking about consolidating some of my 'cheaper' guitars for one 'premium'. the ongoing chase with gear. My practical side says keep what I got. but I've always wanted a gorgeous finish JP15/suhr/anderson but the latter two prices are just way out of my reach. The jP15 is really pushing it but again, with some sales of 2 guitars I could manage
1000012017.jpg

Forgiveness is more easily obtained than permission....

Then of course there is a Guthrie Govan Charvel Sig (flame maple HSH) i just noticed at my guitar chain that is discounted $1000....in a neighboring city. Interesting...anyone have a Guthrie Charvel they can comment on? I can only imagine its like my DK24 , that i love, but premium spec'd. I imagine I'd absolutely love the neck

Back
Top Bottom