Red Wirez Cab Impulses

I still have trouble with creating or converting IRs for the Axe. Could someone run through the steps required to convert these for the Axe-FX? I'm interested in buying a set or two.

thanks...

-rob

orangenoise said:
I still have trouble with creating or converting IRs for the Axe. Could someone run through the steps required to convert these for the Axe-FX? I'm interested in buying a set or two.

thanks...

-rob

Download and open the IR converter
For batch conversion - click file batch process
navigate to the 48khz, 24bit sample folders under the cab of choice.
select on of the .wavs there.
All the .wav in the directory will be converted

For a single conversion
Select open-navigate to file-save as

Hi there,

It shouldn't be too hard so here goes.

Download/Install Armin's IR Converter (Link can be found on the Wiki)
Open up the folder that contains the Cab (WAV) that you want to convert.
Select the correct WAV file and hit the open button.
You should see the IR wave form etc..
Now all you have to do is hit the Save As button and give it a name.
You should now have a cab file in the correct format.

To upload to the Axe you can either use the Lars Editor or the new fractal editor, I personally prefer the Lars Editor for which links can be found on this forum.
If using Lars Editor you should open up the Cabinet tab and click the select folder button.
Point it at the folder you saved the IR created above.
You should now see one or many IRs in the right hand window of the editor.
To upload the cab you simply drag the cab from the right window to the slot that you want in the left window.

This process will overwrite the existing cab in the slot you upload to so be careful.

The Red Wirez Cabs come in 48k 24bit which is the standard that the axe uses so you should be set to go.

Feel free to drop me a line if this does make sense :)

xpenno said:
Hi there,

To upload to the Axe you can either use the Lars Editor or the new fractal editor, I personally prefer the Lars Editor for which links can be found on this forum.
If using Lars Editor you should open up the Cabinet tab and click the select folder button.
To upload the cab you simply drag the cab from the right window to the slot that you want in the left window.

This process will overwrite the existing cab in the slot you upload to so be careful.

The Red Wirez Cabs come in 48k 24bit which is the standard that the axe uses so you should be set to go.

It is not Armin's, it is AlbertA's converter. :D

I still haven't converted any to .syx yet, but these do sound great. The gear they used to capture them is top notch for miking guitar cabs. Yeah, the blending of the different IR's is awesome. The fact that they are very phase coherent is a bonus. Not having to time align the phase of the back and room to the direct makes it really easy to get a huge sound.

There is ambience, even on the close miked IR's and combined with the room, it's a very nice room sound. There are a ton of impulses for each cab so $10 a cab is really a nice deal for the quality. I'll probably snag the bassman 4x10 when it's done. I can't see needing many more cabs after that though. :p

kev said:
I still haven't converted any to .syx yet, but these do sound great. The gear they used to capture them is top notch for miking guitar cabs. Yeah, the blending of the different IR's is awesome. The fact that they are very phase coherent is a bonus. Not having to time align the phase of the back and room to the direct makes it really easy to get a huge sound.

There is ambience, even on the close miked IR's and combined with the room, it's a very nice room sound. There are a ton of impulses for each cab so $10 a cab is really a nice deal for the quality. I'll probably snag the bassman 4x10 when it's done. I can't see needing many more cabs after that though. :p

you will lose any room ambiance once the are converted to the Axe-fx format.

javajunkie said:
xpenno said:
Hi there,

It is not Armin's, it is AlbertA's converter. :D

Right On! :oops:

javajunkie said:
AndrewSimon said:
javajunkie said:
I've tried the Ac30s, the celestion blues, and the orange cab, and the marshall.

These are the best IR's I've tried. Not too bassy not too thin. The mic positions and types are very consistent across models and sound like what I would expect. The don't seem to have any phase issues with stock cabs.

I like the blues better than the ac30s but they are very similar

Sean

Did you purchase any of them?

:?:

Yes, the bundle of the big speaker and the celestion blues

Java, how does the single Blue IR differ from the AC30 cab with Blues in it? I didn't purchase any of the Speaker Box IR's, just the Big Box IR's. Does it just sound like less cab in the IR?

kev said:
javajunkie said:
AndrewSimon said:
Sean

Did you purchase any of them?

:?:

Yes, the bundle of the big speaker and the celestion blues

Java, how does the single Blue IR differ from the AC30 cab with Blues in it? I didn't purchase any of the Speaker Box IR's, just the Big Box IR's. Does it just sound like less cab in the IR?

A bit clearer is all. The ac30 has a spike at ~250hz, the celestion has a dip.

I bought the greenback folder and loaded them up in Logic (space designer across 4 mono tracks), and recorded 2 parts using Scott P's Marshall patch (spk sims off) and an AC30 patch, then copied the parts across the 4 tracks and started mixing and matching IR's... - they sound just bitchin.

Now I need to figure out how to load these into the Axe.

OK this is a meaningless test.
One amp (Brit 800) and one impulse. (no other processing what so ever)
The impulse is the Weber Blue Dog with U87, Edge of cone at 3"

First pass:
IR loaded into the AXE-FX

Second pass:
IR in the DAW, Full length impulse mixed in with a little room mic and back of the amp mic

Third pass:
Same as First (AXE-FX)

Fourth pass:
Same as Second (full length with 2 room mics)

http://www.andras-shimon.com/TEMP/AmbianceTest.mp3

Hard to hear difference once it's rendered and converted to MP3
but in the studio it was a little more noticeable.

Anyway.... I'm trying to convince myself that the IR's works just as well without the room mics.

;)

The DAW mixes (2 and 4) had just a bit more meat. They were also almost 1 db louder so that tends to make it sound just a hair better, but yeah pretty close on the mp3. I'd like to hear a mix with the room mics up a bit. I blended mine at about 75% and the back of cab at about 40% of the close mic.
I couldn't resist and bought the Single Box Blue so I'm off to run some of those.
Crack dealers, that's what they are..... :p

kev said:
I'd like to hear a mix with the room mics up a bit.

Yeah, if you are after "amp in room" tone bringing up the room mics will kill.
But I wanted a tone that will sit "right" in a mix, a little room mics give it
that 3D thing even if you put reverb after it.

I must say it again, I am really impressed with these IRs.
You can run the same clip through all the cabs and while they will all sound
different (in a correct way) they all preseve the amp tone.
They don't over power the character of the amp.... great!

:D

Q.: they seem to offer 2 kinds of IR's, one that offers the speaker itself, and one that includes the "character" of a the corresponding guitar cabs. Anyone find a clear preference of one type to the other?

Most guitar cabs are not exactly engineered or tuned, but do seem to add some "boxiness", at least that's the impression I'm under.

Any comments?

Brian G said:
Q.: they seem to offer 2 kinds of IR's, one that offers the speaker itself, and one that includes the "character" of a the corresponding guitar cabs. Anyone find a clear preference of one type to the other?

Most guitar cabs are not exactly engineered or tuned, but do seem to add some "boxiness", at least that's the impression I'm under.

Any comments?

I didn't hear any pronounced "boxiness" in the Big Box IR's. Sounds like a well miked cab should sound.
I just purchased the Single Box Blue and I'm about to go try it out so I'll compare that to the AC30 Big Box and report back my findings. I read that they also are offering a money back guarantee if don't like them. No excuse to not try them. They are the best that I have tried and I've tried many.

Brian G said:
Most guitar cabs are not exactly engineered or tuned,

Well..... the good ones are!

In the Big Box Series you have Vintage30 loaded into Orange, Marshall and Mesa cabs.
They all sound very different even thought it's the same speaker.
I would go even further and say that Mesa and Orange signature sound is due to the cab design.
They will have the same sound character even if you load them with different speakers.

All these IR's are a work of art.
Never boxiness, never harsh, never boomy or fake sounding.
Everything is done right and for a reason.
Who ever did these definately knew what he was doing.

The "Box Series" is explained as "cone, mic and nothing more"
Well it's more then that, big room action here especially with the open back.

I love both and it's hard to generalize but I would say:
For "in the room" noodling just you and the guitar, the "Box Series" is very cool.
Make sure to mix in the room mics!
Unfortunately if you load these into the AXE-FX you will loose most of the "room"
due to the AXE-FX size limits.

;)

@format issues:

why not asking the guys from "Red Wirez" to convert the IR's
into axe-fx format themselves!? ;)

i would really like to try and buy the impulses but i
don't have the time and the patience to convert every IR into axe format :mrgreen:

cheers
S.

Back
Top Bottom