Red Wirez Cab Impulses

rickboot said:
If new IRs are having such a massive improvement in tone then another rework of the internal IRs would help make the Axe-FX even better and to ensure it maintains its edge over the competition.
I don't think that's necessary. Don't think Cliff's default factory IRs are bad whatsoever and I've had very good results with most of them.

I think by giving us the option to load user IRs, Cliff has done the one thing that can really please any user...use their own or 3rd party IRs.

I'm the last person to say how Cliff should spend his time, but I'm sure there are far more important things on his schedule thsan reworking all Axe IRs again ( and rememnber how users can react if suddenly their fav cabs are gone).

Bought the big box set yesterday and spent this morning with a Soldano and Vox Preset. Using the different mic techniques available, I was able to get some really huge sounds... Really loving this... Hoping we'll have more than 10 user spots soon! I really like being able to have one cab type with different mic positions, really adds to the 3d effect of the patch.

Nicely done redwirez, and thanks to cliff for converting all the IRs to sysex...

Mike

The overwhelmingly highly positive reviews of the Red Wirez IRs from Axe users has me wondering what it is about these IRs that sets them so far apart from all of the other 3rd party IRs that are floating about.

IR collections of classic cabinets with various classic mics, mic distances and mic positions are common. But most of these IRs don't sound very good with the Axe.

The only things, that I can see, that Red Wirez is doing differently is using a high-end power amp, the Bryston 4B, as well as high quality mic pres and digital convertors.
Most other folks offering cabinet IRs tend to play their sweeps through guitar-oriented tube power amps. Some are even going through guitar amp preamps as well. These types of IRs don't work well with the Axe, presumably because the Axe is already modelling a tube power amp.

If I really had a big need to be playing FRFR right now I'd be buying the Big box package myself. No need really for me to take the plunge yet though. But I'd really like to hear what all the fuss is about.

joegold said:
The overwhelmingly highly positive reviews of the Red Wirez IRs from Axe users has me wondering what it is about these IRs that sets them so far apart from all of the other 3rd party IRs that are floating about.

IR collections of classic cabinets with various classic mics, mic distances and mic positions are common. But most of these IRs don't sound very good with the Axe.

The only things, that I can see, that Red Wirez is doing differently is using a high-end power amp, the Bryston 4B, as well as high quality mic pres and digital convertors.
Most other folks offering cabinet IRs tend to play their sweeps through guitar-oriented tube power amps. Some are even going through guitar amp preamps as well. These types of IRs don't work well with the Axe, presumably because the Axe is already modelling a tube power amp.

If I really had a big need to be playing FRFR right now I'd be buying the Big box package myself. No need really for me to take the plunge yet though. But I'd really like to hear what all the fuss is about.

There is the equipment, then there is the knowledge and experience. It is this combination that makes these impulses stand out. It is clear that they know what they are doing.

javajunkie said:
There is the equipment, then there is the knowledge and experience. It is this combination that makes these impulses stand out. It is clear that they know what they are doing.

That, and the fact that we have a bottle of Jimmy Page's sweat that we sprinkle over each cabinet before we sample it. ;)

redwire said:
That, and the fact that we have a bottle of Jimmy Page's sweat that we sprinkle over each cabinet before we sample it. ;)

I KNEW there had to be a trick to this :!: :lol: I've been using Rosie O'Donnell's sweat (it's abundant you know) which explains why my tones stink :shock:

Ive been working with bigbox and speakerbox from Redwirez for the last 2 days.
It has totally changed the way I build patches. Before, I had my go to factory cabs and would heavily eq them to suit me.
I did try other 3rd party IR's but they were like too overbearing so i would have to heavily eq them even more.
These are so pleasing once you find the magic spot, mic and speaker that my eqs are almost not needed.
I am totally happy with my ultra now. (except for the editor glitches, waiting patiently)
Quite a few times locks up the AX loading cabs in user slots, but not in audition mode.
So far I have mainly stuck with moving around the R121 with many differnt cabs and would be happy with that.
But Geeze look at all the other mic possibilities. Never thought I would need more than 10 user slots LOL
I'll shut up now and go play my guitar.

P.S.
Thanks to Scott for the Ambient stereo mic tip, they do add some fairy dust to the mix.

http://www.duaneramelot.com

Did Mike from Red Wirez say anything like that when the new IRs that are going to be recorded with reference mics are available that current Big Box owners would be able to get them as a free download?

Or will the new IRs be a paid upgrade?

joegold said:
Did Mike from Red Wirez say anything like that when the new IRs that are going to be recorded with reference mics are available that current Big Box owners would be able to get them as a free download?

Current owners will get them free of charge.

redwire said:
joegold said:

SWEET!! :mrgreen:

redwire said:
joegold said:

Very cool.

joegold said:
redwire said:
joegold said:

Very cool.

So Mike - are you saying that since I bought the big box collection, any further IRs you record for that collection will be a free download for me?

Does that include new cabinets like the HiWatt?

TimmyM

TimmyM said:
So Mike - are you saying that since I bought the big box collection, any further IRs you record for that collection will be a free download for me?

TimmyM

Not exactly. I'm saying that you get free updates on the stuff you already own. I consider the reference IRs a free update. So, if you bought the BIGBox bundle you can download the new IRs for everything that's currently in the BIGBox bundle. If you just own the Mesa, you will get the new Mesa IRs for free.

When new cabinets are added to the BIGBox bundle, then it will become a new version, BIGBox version 2.0, if you will. 1.0 owners will get a ~20% discount on all new BIGBox cabinets, though, so functionally it will be the same thing as owning 2.0, but you get to pick and choose which cabinets you want. Given the egregiousness of the Paypal fees for small transactions, it's probably a stupid business decision on my part, but I look at it as payback to you guys for being early adopters.

There will also be an upgrade package with all the new cabinets, for convenience.

Hope this makes sense.

redwire said:
Not exactly. I'm saying that you get free updates on the stuff you already own. I consider the reference IRs a free update. So, if you bought the BIGBox bundle you can download the new IRs for everything that's currently in the BIGBox bundle. If you just own the Mesa, you will get the new Mesa IRs for free.

When new cabinets are added to the BIGBox bundle, then it will become a new version, BIGBox version 2.0, if you will. 1.0 owners will get a ~20% discount on all new BIGBox cabinets, though, so functionally it will be the same thing as owning 2.0, but you get to pick and choose which cabinets you want. Given the egregiousness of the Paypal fees for small transactions, it's probably a stupid business decision on my part, but I look at it as payback to you guys for being early adopters.

There will also be an upgrade package with all the new cabinets, for convenience.

Hope this makes sense.

Marvellous! Thanks for the clarification.

TimmyM

redwire said:

Hope this makes sense.

So when is 2.0 coming out?
:D

redwire said:
TimmyM said:

TimmyM

Hope this makes sense.

That's a classy move man. Much like the Fractal business model with free firmware.

I like the way you do business Mike. That's no sarcasm and no BS. Good on you.

Scott Peterson said:
That's a classy move man. Much like the Fractal business model with free firmware.

I like the way you do business Mike. That's no sarcasm and no BS. Good on you.

That's the vibe I got from the very beginning....once the air was cleared with Recabinet.
A good product and good customer support will speak for itself every time.

redwire said:

Hope this makes sense.

Appreciate that very much, Mike. Great product, Awesome customer service! Look forward to 2.0! :D

I'm very impressed with these IR's.
Just got a chance to dl and pick thru a few- wow, really good stuff in there. Looking forward to diggin in.

Back
Top Bottom