RED SOUND FRFR Speakers now offered through the Fractal Audio online store!

I'm a diehard Studio Slips customer. Great product, great company. I usually get the clamshell style too, this time I got covers for my 2 MF10 Pro/M's. Should be here this week!!
I have a second set of the ELIS.8 bags on order, which should be here “soon”. :)

Yeah, I have the clamshell and briefcase versions for amps, my EVs, and all my Fractals. The company is excellent.

Looks interesting! I have the wooden tilt blocks from redsound for angling my MF10s. Those tilt cabs have an angle of 22, which is a little bit on the short side if you're standing close to the speaker (still sounds amazing, but a lot of high treble is passing below me this way, which gives me unpleasant surprises on larger stages, when the high treble is going straight into my ears). The above system has an angle of 30 degrees. I might prefer that (to have more consistency between my sound on rehearsals and my sound on stage, and the sound from Front of House). Just wondering, is the above amp tilt wedge stable and safe or is there a risk the MF10s fall backwards with this increased angle?

Last edited:
is the above amp tilt wedge stable and safe or is there a risk the MF10s fall backwards with this increased angle?
30º should be fine, but if they feel wobbly don't use the full wedge underneath the cabinets, you can control the angle that way.

You might want to look at an auto-parts store for wheel chocks also, they come in a variety of sizes and will do the same job.

I use the Standback amp stands for my combo tube amps. They fold down small enough to fit in a gig bag pocket, and, because they sit behind the cabinet it can't fall backwards. They're a bit more than the AmpWedge stands, $37-ish but I've never broken one and they're very stable.

Last edited:
Thanks!
30º should be fine, but if they feel wobbly don't use the full wedge underneath the cabinets, you can control the angle that way
That's a good idea. I will experiment a bit. Probably I'll order the aer tilt system, which seems similar and easier available in Europe (clear specs are not provided though).

They're a bit more than the AmpWedge stands, $37-ish but I've never broken one and they're very stable.
I had this one too, but I did manage to break it 😅 (by storing it in a flightcase together with lots of loose guitar pedals). Never had the opportunity to try it with the redsound.

Can anyone comment on listening to recorded music through Elis.8's? I don't mean critical listening like for recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I just mean for fun at bedroom / home volume level. Clearly they're fantastic with Fractal modelers (or any modelers). Can they also be "pretty good" speakers for listening to recorded music at home?

I currently use QSC K8.2 speakers both with my FM9 and for playing music while jamming along, doing work, etc.. If the Elis.8 can do a decent job of playing recorded music, I would seriously consider replacing the K8.2's with them.

Can anyone comment on listening to recorded music through Elis.8's? I don't mean critical listening like for recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I just mean for fun at bedroom / home volume level. Clearly they're fantastic with Fractal modelers (or any modelers). Can they also be "pretty good" speakers for listening to recorded music at home?

I currently use QSC K8.2 speakers both with my FM9 and for playing music while jamming along, doing work, etc.. If the Elis.8 can do a decent job of playing recorded music, I would seriously consider replacing the K8.2's with them.

From earlier in this thread...

Have you compared them using recorded program material?

My "perfect" FRFR would be equally excellent as a guitar backline, a whole-band-mix monitor wedge and a PA speaker.

There's a long, long review thread on the Elis.8 and MF10. I think it was mentioned that they're not great for playing music through, but that was for recorded music, and may not be relevant for other instruments being played live.

Thanks. It's what I thought, but having never heard a Redsound product, I didn't know. In this case, recorded music/live music is the same thing. Like my Xitone wedge, I figured it was optimized for electric guitar at the expense of overall accuracy.

They have been designed for electric guitar and bass and even they can be used as a PA or a general music diffusion system this is not what they excel in. I have the Elis.8 in my studio and I use to compare recorded sounds with Red Sound Studio6 and Neumann KH310 studio monitor but their main use is when guitar players want to record with a loud cab and not with the main monitor in control room.

Last edited:
That's interesting - I've read that using them as speakers to play recorded music through (in the long running Elis.8 MF.10 thread) is a less than satisfying experience. I wonder why that is, if they're truly (relatively speaking) FRFR.

That's interesting - I've read that using them as speakers to play recorded music through (in the long running Elis.8 MF.10 thread) is a less than satisfying experience. I wonder why that is, if they're truly (relatively speaking) FRFR.
You can absolutely do this but they are not Studio Monitors, they are designed to play them loud, louder than you would listen to a studio monitor.
So yes, you absolutely can use them to listen to recorded music but when you are using them in a small room/studio you maybe need to eq them.

As I stated in some posts and other threads, these cabs are sounding great and you can use them at home but they just bloom and shine on a level that is higher than „bedroom level“.

I‘m shure that @Marco Fanton can chime in. I would use studio monitors for recording etc.

Reactions: rog
You can absolutely do this but they are not Studio Monitors, they are designed to play them loud, louder than you would listen to a studio monitor.
So yes, you absolutely can use them to listen to recorded music but when you are using them in a small room/studio you maybe need to eq them.

As I stated in some posts and other threads, these cabs are sounding great and you can use them at home but they just bloom and shine on a level that is higher than „bedroom level“.

I‘m shure that @Marco Fanton can chime in. I would use studio monitors for recording etc.
That's fair. Would the 8" RedSound nearfield monitors be designed for listening at a lower volume level?

That's fair. Would the 8" RedSound nearfield monitors be designed for listening at a lower volume level?
I've been using the Red Sound Studio6 for a couple of years and I switched to this studio monitor from Neumann monitors (with no regrets at all). I have a well threated room but I preferred to have 6" speakers to mix and master music and usually I do at 75/83 dB max.

Last edited:
This certainly got more interesting! My updated impression, based on these latest posts, is that the speakers will do fine playing back recorded music. Not for mixing/mastering, which isn't my goal or question, but for listening for fun, which is.

Also I'm hearing from people who use these speakers that they sound their best at louder than bedroom levels. But that they also work fine at lower levels.

Back
Top Bottom