Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

It sounds like the 180W in stereo for the ELIS.8s may be a little shy of what I might need for a loudish bar gig - am I wrong? I love the size and overall presentation, but I'm afraid of dropping $1600 for a pair and finding that they don't hold up to the CP8s for volume and projection. Can someone please confirm my understanding?
Anyone?

Hey, Greg. I didn't realize you had a set of these as well as the PXM-12MP's. I'm curious how you would compare them?
I had some, and loved them, but needed cabs that tilted back even further because I found I’d be standing with my legs against the cabs on a small, crowded, stage and couldn’t hear them. The EVs are designed as floor monitors so they sit at a steeper angle which points the speakers at my head better.

Sound-wise they sound very close to each other. Both are very clear and accurate, but not harsh. “Musical sounding” is how I describe them… “natural” would be another word.

Ive just picked up one powered Elis8 secondhand/used in the UK. Can anyone tell me what impedance the passive cab is - I want to know if I can drive a Celestion F12-x200 8Ohm cab from the "power output left" socket. Thanks.

Ive just picked up one powered Elis8 secondhand/used in the UK. Can anyone tell me what impedance the passive cab is - I want to know if I can drive a Celestion F12-x200 8Ohm cab from the "power output left" socket. Thanks.
Might be an idea to contact Redsound

Might be an idea to contact Redsound
I did and they gave some crap excuse that it wouldn’t sound the same and the amplifier might get overloaded. Was more of a marketing answer than from someone who understood amplifiers. Was disappointed in their response.

I did and they gave some crap excuse that it wouldn’t sound the same and the amplifier might get overloaded. Was more of a marketing answer than from someone who understood amplifiers. Was disappointed in their response.
Without seeing the response we can’t say, but from knowing RED SOUND it’s very possible you got a response directly from the guy who designed it, whether it was signed by him. They’re a small company making a very good product similar to someone else who we do business with and are hands-on in their response to technical questions, based on my experience with them.

Heres the correspondance

I dont think a Celestion F12-X200 200W FRFR speaker (https://celestion.com/product/f12-x200/) is going to be overpowered by a 180w amp (Redsound specs) if the impedance of the speaker is the same as the Redsound Elis 8 passive cab (which is what I asked)

My question
View attachment 103973
Their response-

View attachment 103972
What they said makes sense to me. There's more to it than impedance matching.

You can't adjust the left/right balance of the speaker pair on the powered cab, so if the speaker's efficiency is different one speaker will be louder than the other. It'll be up to you to manage that inside the preset.

The speakers they use are a coaxial 8" and 1" pair and are matched to work together with their passive cab, and they do that extremely well. A 12" speaker will definitely have a lot more lows, and again, balancing the EQ and low and high cuts for the sound would need to be done inside the preset.

The OUT, PEQ and GEQ blocks, or the CAB block would be where I'd tweak and then store the block in the library.

If I remember right, the power amp is 180 watts per side. That shouldn't cause problems power-wise for the Celestion, but combined with possible differences in the efficiency with the powered cab, you might find one side doesn't get as loud, so you'll have to adjust the balance and could get some clipping if you really push the system. I guess trying it will reveal any problems, or it might work just like you want.

I think they gave you good advice. You can do with it what you want.

UPDATE ON NOISY PREAMP

I just received my replacement preamp by G66. The swap was really plug and play: removing a couple of screws and replacing the old one with the new unit. No soldering needed.

Results: My Elis.8 are now dead quiet! Mission accomplished! 👍👍👍
Hi Joex
I recently bought the Elis.8 bundle and I hear the same clicking/whirring noise like @ZenRigs Man and @Sashman do (see posts #196/#197). But I can hear it only at the active speaker and my impression is, that this noise is louder at the back of the speaker (near the power plug) then at the front.
Do you really hear nothing at all after replacing the preamp or is there still a tiny bit of that idling noise noticeable?

Thank you

Hi Joex
I recently bought the Elis.8 bundle and I hear the same clicking/whirring noise like @ZenRigs Man and @Sashman do (see posts #196/#197). But I can hear it only at the active speaker and my impression is, that this noise is louder at the back of the speaker (near the power plug) then at the front.
Do you really hear nothing at all after replacing the preamp or is there still a tiny bit of that idling noise noticeable?

Thank you

You will hear a little idling noise if you get close up to them - and that’s normal. I found the CLR was louder on idle - a noticeable hiss. Redsound is as quiet as I’d expect from a powered speaker

I’m no apologist or promoter of RedSound, but for reference purposes, my elis8 is whisper quiet. I only have the one powered and plugged into a power conditioner using xlr cables.

Lyon and Healy told me I would need a $100 10-foot cable to connect an active mf.10 to a passive one. For real?? What kind of cable is it? Someone said Speakon I think

Lyon and Healy told me I would need a $100 10-foot cable to connect an active mf.10 to a passive one. For real?? What kind of cable is it? Someone said Speakon I think
Any normal quality Speakon cable will do. No way 100$ is needed, unless you have nothing ells to spend your $ on.
20-30$ gives you what you need.

Any decent cable with neutrik speakon plugs will be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, they are that good that I deceided that I have to buy another pair after we are moving to our new house.
Daddy gets his own studio room.
Napoleon Dynamite GIF by Ben L

I bought mine (Elis 8) from them a few weeks ago and they included the cable for free. I just used the online form to get more info and then exchanged some emails with their COO. I also nicely told him that I was about to purchase a competitor's speakers but wanted to find out more about Red Sound, so maybe that helped.

I bought mine (Elis 8) from them a few weeks ago and they included the cable for free. I just used the online form to get more info and then exchanged some emails with their COO. I also nicely told him that I was about to purchase a competitor's speakers but wanted to find out more about Red Sound, so maybe that helped.
If you bought the pair together I believe it comes with the cable. I’m buying one active and if I like it a lot which I’m sure I will, I’ll get the passive one in a month or two.

I received the Elis 8 bundle from G66 yesterday. First I thought there was something wrong with the passive speaker until I realized you need to twist the speakon connector (never used one before). With everything connected to the Axe-Fx III I started playing one of my presets and immediately had the revelation that this is the best sound and playing feel I have gotten out of the Axe-Fx, by far.

When I initially got the Axe-Fx II XL in 2014 I intended to use it with headphones but that plan lasted about 30 minutes. Mainly been using Adam A7X studio monitors since then with the II and III, sometimes poweramp + cab, but never been completely happy with either solution. I only play at home on low to medium volume and it could be that the Elis 8 works better for me in that scenario. Still trying to come to terms with how much better they sound to me. Did not consider floor monitors before since I never play live but that was clearly a mistake. I guess you have to try everything to find what works for you.

I was not sure whether to get the bundle or just the active, but went with the bundle. That turned out to be the correct decision, the stero image is massive.

I received the Elis 8 bundle from G66 yesterday. First I thought there was something wrong with the passive speaker until I realized you need to twist the speakon connector (never used one before). With everything connected to the Axe-Fx III I started playing one of my presets and immediately had the revelation that this is the best sound and playing feel I have gotten out of the Axe-Fx, by far.

When I initially got the Axe-Fx II XL in 2014 I intended to use it with headphones but that plan lasted about 30 minutes. Mainly been using Adam A7X studio monitors since then with the II and III, sometimes poweramp + cab, but never been completely happy with either solution. I only play at home on low to medium volume and it could be that the Elis 8 works better for me in that scenario. Still trying to come to terms with how much better they sound to me. Did not consider floor monitors before since I never play live but that was clearly a mistake. I guess you have to try everything to find what works for you.

I was not sure whether to get the bundle or just the active, but went with the bundle. That turned out to be the correct decision, the stero image is massive.
Congratulations! Glad you like the Elis.8, these are great speakers!

May I ask you, if you also hear this clicking/whirring noise at the back of the aktive speaker near the power plug (see post #270)? It's not loud but you can hear it in a quiet room.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom