Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

I have an F12-X200 in a cab built according to the Celestion design. Added a plate amp (MiniDSP PWR-ICE125) but can also use my Powerstage 170. I generally like it quite much, it even sounds great as a regular speaker. Have troubles though cutting through the mix when in rehearsal and with the plate amp added to the back a bit heavy and cumbersome to move around.
I'm wondering if the MF.10 actually would be an upgrade. It's 2 times the price of my Celestion cab (not counting my own working hours), but it's smaller and lighter and from what I read here sits good in a band mix. If I could be sure it's better I wouldn't mind spending the money.
I compared at least 30 different FRFR Speaker but not the F12-X200, sorry.
But yeah the ultra weightlight and compact size of the MF10 is definitely a benefit that I do enjoy.

So much wish I could try both of these locally...
Yeah that would be awesome.
I‘m trying something new and I maybe going with In Ear Monitors mainly.
I do have a few appointments with some local company’s and I will take my Axe III to try them out.

My Elis8 bundle was delivered last week. I've spent a few hours with the speakers and I have to say that I'm impressed. I have them set up as wet/dry vs. a stereo pair where I have reverb, delays and the looper coming out of one speaker and a dry signal out of the other. I use the Comet60 and Wrecker models set at the edge of breakup and clean up the tone by backing off my guitar volume.

I've seen comments about them being dark and I can see where that comes from. I started with the preset that I use with my Accugrooves which also have a ton of low end and the E8s were a little dark; however, it was easy to dial out with the controls in the amp block. That being said, there is still this underlying "presence" thing going on especially at lower volumes. However, once you start turning them up that "presence" adds more body and feel to the tone.

I wasn't able to play them too loud because the family was home most of the time, but I had about 30 min alone and was able to turn them up to lower practice volumes. The true test will be at our next practice when I can really turn them up. The one positive thing is I spent more time playing than tweaking which is always a good sign.

As recommended, I set the speaker volume at 8 and I'm using the Output level on the FM9 to set the overall volume. For those with E8 experience, how much AXEFX signal can they take before the inputs start clipping? I imagine I will need to turn the Output volume up 3/4 to hear them over our drummer.

I've used JBL, RCF, Atomic (CLR & Reactor), Xitone (early model with Matrix GM50) and Accugrooves (Latte & Robusta) and I think these will become my go to speakers for practice and medium/small gigs. I think it's an apples/oranges to compare these to a stereo pair of 12" speakers but they hold their own especially being an 8" speaker. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with the CLR, Matrix, Accugrooves or the Red Sound, they are all outstanding speakers.

The Elis8s performed well at practice the other night. We had 2 percussionists, another guitar, bass and a loud drummer and they held their own; although, the Elis8s were set at 8 and the outputs on the FM9 were 3/4 of the way up. My overall tone was still a little dark, but I think it can be addressed with some EQ. Still impressed...next test is practice on Monday.

That Crowhill is friggin HAWT. We should have a new thread over here and talk about that guitar.

I will try to post some more info/pics when I get back from Mexico...

Hey @Paulg2uk
I'm wondering if you could post your thoughts re. the Redsound compared to the Friedman ASC10. I have the ASC10. I like it but am intrigued by the Redsound.
Cheers.

Hey @Paulg2uk
I'm wondering if you could post your thoughts re. the Redsound compared to the Friedman ASC10. I have the ASC10. I like it but am intrigued by the Redsound.
Cheers.
Sure no worries at all, I find the ASC10's quite dark sounding but I did grow to like them. I did end up selling them though and going with the Red Sounds.

You can dial that out if you wish on the ASC's. The Red Sound Elis 8's because they are stereo pair are definitely more open sounding and have more clarity. I find that I don't need to tweak my presets that much when going from my studio monitors to my headphones and the Red Sounds. It's all pretty consistent.

I have been using a Mission Gemini 2 cab recently which also doesn't need any tweaking at all preset wise. I ended up buying a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 recently and I've been using it with my 1x12 Boogie cab which has a Celestion C90 in. I don't know what it is about that cab I've owned it for years and its been gigged with a lot but it just sounds really good very close to the IR I use with the Red Sounds and Mission etc.

I have been recently thinking of buying either a passive Gemini 2 or just getting a 2x12 made with the Celestion F12-X200's in.

Last edited:
Sure no worries at all, I find the ASC10's quite dark sounding but I did grow to like them. I did end up selling them though and going with the Red Sounds.

You can dial that out if you wish on the ASC's. The Red Sound Elis 8's because they are stereo pair are definitely more open sounding and have more clarity. I find that I don't need to tweak my presets that much when going from my studio monitors to my headphones and the Red Sounds. It's all pretty consistent.

I have been using a Mission Gemini 2 cab recently which also doesn't any tweaking at all preset wise. I ended up buying a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 recently and I've been using it with my 1x12 Boogie cab which has a Celestion C90 in. I don't know what is about that cab I've owned it for years and its been gigged with a lot but it just sounds really good very close to the IR I use with the Red Sounds and Mission etc.

I have been recently thinking of buying either a passive Gemini 2 or just getting a 2x12 made with the Celestion F12-X200's in.
Thanks mate, appreciate the response. I really like my ASC10. I've learned to tweak in such a way that it doesn't sound too dark. I am thinking of getting a second one, but I may just grab a Redsound when they are available here in Aus, then I can compare myself. Thanks again.

Thanks mate, appreciate the response. I really like my ASC10. I've learned to tweak in such a way that it doesn't sound too dark. I am thinking of getting a second one, but I may just grab a Redsound when they are available here in Aus, then I can compare myself. Thanks again.
No worries at all you're welcome. There used to be a forum member on here that had two of the ASC-10's and used them with the FM3 sounded really good! Can't go wrong with the Red Sounds though, You'll definitely be impressed. And they are a lot lighter in weight than the Friedman's. Not that they are that heavy of course.

Just bought a passive MF10 to go with my active MF10, but no sound from the passive.
I don't understand why.
Rig :Axe fx 3 L/R output1 with 2 XLR in MF10 active Input L/R and a Cordial/Neutrik Speakon from active to passive MF10.
All XLR are functionnal and I tested to link the active and passive with a HP jack but no working

Just bought a passive MF10 to go with my active MF10, but no sound from the passive.
I don't understand why.
Rig :Axe fx 3 L/R output1 with 2 XLR in MF10 active Input L/R and a Cordial/Neutrik Speakon from active to passive MF10.
All XLR are functionnal and I tested to link the active and passive with a HP jack but no working
Probably best to check the obvious first. Do you have the level controls on both the active MF10 and the Axe III up? Sounds like everything is connected all correctly.

precision: If I connect directly in my 2 yam HS5 (with xlr), I have the stereo
the axe fx 3 setup looks like ok for stereo

Last edited:
It sounds like the 180W in stereo for the ELIS.8s may be a little shy of what I might need for a loudish bar gig - am I wrong? I love the size and overall presentation, but I'm afraid of dropping $1600 for a pair and finding that they don't hold up to the CP8s for volume and projection. Can someone please confirm my understanding?

I have been using a Mission Gemini 2 cab recently which also doesn't need any tweaking at all preset wise. I ended up buying a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 recently and I've been using it with my 1x12 Boogie cab which has a Celestion C90 in. I don't know what it is about that cab I've owned it for years and its been gigged with a lot but it just sounds really good very close to the IR I use with the Red Sounds and Mission etc.

Agreed about the Red Sound ELIS.8 speakers. They sound very natural.

Back
Top Bottom