Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

So you have both?
When do you use each one?
Size and weight aren't different enough to be a deciding factor I wouldn't think.
Absolutely there isn’t a big difference in weight and size.
The MF10 are wider and bigger sounding and the Elis8 do have that slightly mid bump.
The Elis 8 do have enough volume and punch to do anything. I use them at home, rehearsals and live.
But I really enjoy that wider sound from the MF10 when there is need for a bigger backline.
I have use all four speaker at once and holy moly…!

I have been running my MF10s for some time now and played a few gigs. They feel and sound great, they are light enough that I don't mind taken them to rehearsal every week and they work in both smaller venues and larger. Very happy overall but do get tempted every now and then to look at the Elis 8s.....

I'm sure this is the very nature of these speakers as they are designed for guitar, but are there any tweaks that can be made to get backing tracks to sound good through these at home? Guessing the answer is no, but worth a shot asking. I play the tracks on a MacBook Pro connected to the FX3 via USB. Thanks.

I'm sure this is the very nature of these speakers as they are designed for guitar, but are there any tweaks that can be made to get backing tracks to sound good through these at home? Guessing the answer is no, but worth a shot asking. I play the tracks on a MacBook Pro connected to the FX3 via USB. Thanks.
I do use them with backing tracks all the time and I did not tweak them in any way. I use the Axe III as a Interface and all backing tracks etc. coming from my Laptop.

I have a Mac Mini connected to my FM3 via USB. To play my backing tracks I use Anytune that offers a per song or global EQ. With that I pull out some mids and add some lows and highs. The playback through my pair of Elis.8 sounds much better with this adjustments. But keep in mind, the global EQ of the FM3 also affects the music playback via USB.

I am getting a Red sound speaker in two weeks and will check it out and report back.
Would be very curious to hear where you landed with this! I've just received my Red Sound and the "use your ears, idiot" method tells me it runs better with the Axe lower and the speaker around 7-8. That said, your ears truly are golden, so I'm eager to hear...

Would be very curious to hear where you landed with this! I've just received my Red Sound and the "use your ears, idiot" method tells me it runs better with the Axe lower and the speaker around 7-8. That said, your ears truly are golden, so I'm eager to hear...
So, I run my III at +4db. Then I use the Out1 knob for live playing between 1:00 and 3:00 depending on how loud I need to be with the drums and bass playing. Right now I am not even using any cuts lo or high in global EQ.

I am using one Red Sound (L) at about 4 and one Atomic Neo CLR (R) as stereo. And I really LOVE how they compliment each other together.

The CLR still has the best defined top and high mids to my ears. Not sure why. But the Red Sound adds a girth to the lower mids and mids the CLR does not. Combined they are awesome! I have been re-doing LiveGold Fall update with this Combination. Mark Holcomb of Periphery came over to help update his 5150 metal presets in Bank 3 and he was digging it too!

327676ED-CF03-45ED-9654-D05CE3DAE4D3.jpeg

So, I run my III at +4db. Then I use the Out1 knob for live playing between 1:00 and 3:00 depending on how loud I need to be with the drums and bass playing. Right now I am not even using any cuts lo or high in global EQ.

I am using one Red Sound (L) at about 4 and one Atomic Neo CLR (R) as stereo. And I really LOVE how they compliment each other together.

The CLR still has the best defined top and high mids to my ears. Not sure why. But the Red Sound adds a girth to the lower mids and mids the CLR does not. Combined they are awesome! I have been re-doing LiveGold Fall update with this Combination. Mark Holcomb of Periphery came over to help update his 5150 metal presets in Bank 3 and he was digging it too!
I noticed my redsound Elis8 was out of phase with my CLRs (and my main PA) so had to make a phase switching XLR cable for it. Have you noticed similar behaviour with your redsound?

I noticed my redsound Elis8 was out of phase with my CLRs (and my main PA) so had to make a phase switching XLR cable for it. Have you noticed similar behaviour with your redsound?
I didn’t detect that issue, although I was aware of it as a possibility.

And I moved my speakers around until they sounded great. My first speaker placement honestly sounded a bit phasey, but I moved them and it is also a trick to get the volumes to balance just perfect between the two so one does not dominate the other.

But it is worth noting - as you did- that phase can be an issue with this mix and match different CLRs approach. Mine is the MF10 RedSound not the Elis8, that may account for something.

View attachment 108545

I had 2x MF10's on top of my 2x CLR's recently - Sounded amazing
1663441013565.png

I stupidly forgot to get decent setup pictures though.

I'll definitely try one of each next time we're out

I’ve been using my two Elis8s in stereo with modulation effects/delay/reverb out 1, and a clean CLR with just overdrive/fuzz/distortion out 2. Really liking it! Interesting to see others using RedSound and CLRs together.

Is there any reason not to get two active monitors vs one active and one passive?
I don’t think you would see any advantage with two powered MF10 or ELIS.8 cabs. They use a stereo power-amp, where one side powers the active cabinet, and the other powers the passive cabinet. Buying two powered cabs would mean two of the channels were not being used.

Back
Top Bottom