Red Sound Elis8 FRFR Review and MF 10 Comparision

Cost. The passive is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the active, so it’s a better value to pair one of each.

I don’t think you would see any advantage with two powered MF10 or ELIS.8 cabs. They use a stereo power-amp, where one side powers the active cabinet, and the other powers the passive cabinet. Buying two powered cabs would mean two of the channels were not being used.

Having two active cabs would double the chance of you plugging into the LH channel input and wondering why there’s no sound coming out - don’t ask me how I know this is an issue 🤨

That’s about what I figured. Thanks, y’all.

I didn’t detect that issue, although I was aware of it as a possibility.

And I moved my speakers around until they sounded great. My first speaker placement honestly sounded a bit phasey, but I moved them and it is also a trick to get the volumes to balance just perfect between the two so one does not dominate the other.

But it is worth noting - as you did- that phase can be an issue with this mix and match different CLRs approach. Mine is the MF10 RedSound not the Elis8, that may account for something.
Hi Austinbuddy. Can you use just one MF10 in mono? Is it loud enough for a small club gig? If so, what tweaks/adjustments are necessary? I plan on buying one to use with my FM9 for small venues. Thanks.

Hi Austinbuddy. Can you use just one MF10 in mono? Is it loud enough for a small club gig? If so, what tweaks/adjustments are necessary? I plan on buying one to use with my FM9 for small venues. Thanks.
Yes and yes! It is LAF (lite as f**). Just use a PEQ Global out to fine tune it to your wars (cut lows/highs) if you think you need it. I have been playing Van Halen presets with it lately and it sounds great without me messing with the Global EQ at all.

Last edited:
Yes and yes! It is LAF. Just use a PEQ Global out to fine tune it to your wars (cut lows/highs) if you think you need it. I have been playing Van Halen presets with it lately and it sounds great without me messing with the Global EQ at all.
You sir are the man! Thanks.

Yes and yes! It is LAF. Just use a PEQ Global out to fine tune it to your wars (cut lows/highs) if you think you need it. I have been playing Van Halen presets with it lately and it sounds great without me messing with the Global EQ at all.
One more question. I have plugged both left and right output 1 into left and right inputs of mf10 and set output 1 on fm9 to sum L+R. Does that work or should I just go mono with one cable from left output 1 of fm9 to left input of mf10?

One more question. I have plugged both left and right output 1 into left and right inputs of mf10 and set output 1 on fm9 to sum L+R. Does that work or should I just go mono with one cable from left output 1 of fm9 to left input of mf10?
You should be able to set Copy L>R and just use one XLR cable. Some stereo effects will not work properly however. Also I use I/O Audio at + 4db and my FM3 out knob is maxxed.

It gets LOUD.

L and R inputs drive the internal amp L and R channels., but only the R amp channel is connected to the internal speaker - the L amp channel output gets sent to the Power Out L Speakon connector so you wont hear it if you only have one unit.

L and R inputs drive the internal amp L and R channels., but only the R amp channel is connected to the internal speaker - the L amp channel output gets sent to the Power Out L Speakon connector so you wont hear it if you only have one unit.
Thanks!

I have the Eli’s.8 and use 1 xlr. For some reason it’s the right input which wasn’t obvious in the manual. Yours probably the same. If I’m wrong, just switch to left.

So are you saying I need to plug into the L output on the fm9 to the R input on the mf10 to make it work if I’m using only one cable?
If youve set the output to mono (either Copy L-> R or Sum L+R) you can use either L or R output from Fm9 into the R input on the Redsound.

1665174550130.png

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mono_and_stereo

Mono output​

For a mono output signal:

• sum the signal on the grid to mono, or
  • set Output Mode in the I/O menu to one of the mono settings: "Sum L+R" or "Copy L > R", or
  • connect only the left or right output to the amplification system or mixer, or
  • set the audio system to mono.

Happy to report that first gig with FM9 AND MF10 went really well. I can’t believe how loud that little sucker is. Had no trouble cutting through. I boosted the mids a bit in the global eq for output 1 and that worked well. I have some tweaking and leveling to do but got through the gig and had a blast. Band mates were blown away by the sound coming out of the MF10. My only concern was that I realized that I need a global boost and or volume pedal in each preset. I used the live layout recommended by Cooper and it works well but I need to figure out how to have a boost handy without having to do too much tap dancing. This may be the subject of another thread but how do you guys handle that?

I use PEQ +2db level with a 2db mid boost and assign bypass to Control switch 1 ( so I can add Amp boost switch to same switch if needed) add after cab block. Sometimes I put it parallel to reverb to boost main signal but not reverb.

I'll probably get a single Elis.8 in the next weeks. I hope it will be loud enough to compete with my drummer (very hard metal hitter).

Of course there's still the option to get the second one, but I rather prefer to have a light single cab setup.

Back
Top Bottom