Recreating the Line 6 DL4 “Sweep Echo” and the HOF Trinity T2 Reverb (reverb option 2)

danieljbullard

I’m really enjoying the switch from my analog board to the FM9. However I am having trouble recreating the Line 6 DL4 “Sweep Echo” and the HOF Trinity T2 Reverb (reverb option 2). Anyone have tips for how to react these in the fractal realm or have any preset I can try out that is similar? Thanks!

Check out this thread. I've had it bookedmarked for a couple months, but have been playing so much that I haven't made the time to work it out for FM9. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...e-stack-applies-to-repeats-additively.200075/

This was always my go to delay on LIne6 hardware. I had a reasonable facsimile worked out for Strymon's Timeline ages ago - but never for Fractal. If you happen to get it sorted out, please feel free to share your preset :)

I was also hoping to explore whether it's possible to send the repeats out into a separate effect - as in the first note you play is clean, but the repeats pass through a phaser or wah or whatever. I'm sure its possible in Fractal land - but I still at an intermediate skill level (at best).

The band Unified Theory had a song 'Wither'. In the intro, the album sounds like he's just playing a wah-wah into a delay pedal. But I could swear when they played live, he was doing a filtered repeat using the DL4. This album came out in 2000, so I've apparently been chasing that sound for 24 years now, lololol.

I was also hoping to explore whether it's possible to send the repeats out into a separate effect - as in the first note you play is clean, but the repeats pass through a phaser or wah or whatever. I'm sure its possible in Fractal land - but I still at an intermediate skill level (at best).
That one's pretty straightforward. Put the delay (or whatever you are working with) onto a parallel side path, that is, don't run it inline in series. Plenty of illustrations of that around here. Set the mix on the delay to 100% and either use the level controls in the delay block to limit the amount of delay that goes back into the primary signal path, or, and this may be preferable since you want to run other effects after the repeats, put a mixer block at the point where the side path joins the main path.

You can run wet effects in parallel and 100% wet (so no dry gets through the block). This allows you to place other effects (like EQ or modulation) after the wet effect so that only the reverb tail or delay repeats are affected and not the dry.

I didn't spend a ton of time trying to match the original clips exactly but I got the general feel of the sounds to give you some ideas to get you started:

Trinity T2 Reverb setting 2
chorus after a 100% wet plex verb in parallel: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0nm6...verb.m4a?rlkey=ndagrqyxl65lcebhvh2grfg26&dl=0

Line 6 DL4 sweep echo
This one was a little harder bc I had to figure out the delay pattern. I made a parallel path with an 8th note delay, a 1/4 note ping pong delay, and a wah. The wah is also in parallel with the delays and one of the delays is 100% wet so no dry is getting through the path, so the wah is only affecting the delay repeats. I assigned the wah's position to LFO1.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/p7d7...elay.m4a?rlkey=ylp1r6l9d0w4q8xv97kfjjwn5&dl=0

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 5.12.55 PM.png

The sweep delay type in the delay block didn’t sound at all like the clip you posted so I made my own.

Last edited:
You can run wet effects in parallel and 100% wet (so no dry gets through the block). This allows you to place other effects (like EQ or modulation) after the wet effect so that only the reverb tail or delay repeats are affected and not the dry.

I didn't spend a ton of time trying to match the original clips exactly but I got the general feel of the sounds to give you some ideas to get you started:

chorus after a 100% wet plex verb in parallel: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0nm6...verb.m4a?rlkey=ndagrqyxl65lcebhvh2grfg26&dl=0

This one was a little harder bc I had to figure out the delay pattern. I made a parallel path with an 8th note delay, a 1/4 note ping pong delay, and a wah. The wah is also in parallel with the delays and one of the delays is 100% wet so no dry is getting through the path, so the wah is only affecting the delay repeats. I assigned the wah's position to LFO1.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/p7d7...elay.m4a?rlkey=ylp1r6l9d0w4q8xv97kfjjwn5&dl=0

View attachment 136390
That could work also with a phaser instead of the wahI imagine? It should do some sweeping alike the wah.

That could work also with a phaser instead of the wahI imagine? It should do some sweeping alike the wah.
It would work with any modulation effect, the original clip sounded like a wah-ish band pass filter so that’s why I chose the wah block.

The feedback send and return blocks allow for some even crazier effects, like making each successive repeat go up an octave every repeat.

Last edited:
Dude these both sound amazing and very close to the original! Can I ask what settings you are using for each block/channel? @strabes
Thanks! I didn't save the settings but most of them were the default block settings aside from the basic mix/feedback/input gain/time/speed settings to get roughly the idea of the original sounds. The only one that might be tricky is the plex, you have to add the plex block then select the "plex verb" type. That one I had to crank the input gain and level way up to get the reverb sound that huge.

Back
Top Bottom