Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

Very similar situation to me Tommy, I too discussed the possibility of a new unit with G66 at the time of my purchase & was ensured that nothing was in the pipeline & that the Ultra still had a long life ahead of it. I have also been dealing with wrist injury recently too.

I retrospect though, I do kinda regret getting involved in the conversation on here though, these things happen. As i've said from the start, I'm happy for Fractal with their new unit & best of luck to them with it. I was disappointed to hear that Cliff has said that he will no longer offer further updates for the Ultras & i don't think that the release was handled in a proper manner. But c'est la vie...

Personally, I'd be happy to pay for updated content for my existing unit & was expecting to make a purchase of that manner within the next few days. Also (although I think it's mighty cheeky to be put in this position) I wouldn't rule out selling my Ultra & a few other bits in a desperate attempt to get the new machine if that really is the only option I have to get access to the new content. I guess it's the tough shit attitude around here, following having been told about how much better than everyone else Fractal treat's their customer base, plus the rude product announcement by G66 that has pushed me to come on here & say 'hang on a minute' ...I think the Fractal fanboy thing is a little out of hand, they're a business just like any other & the sense of superiority is undignified. A new product is out, let's celebrate that while also showing a little compassion for those who have been unfortunate with the timing.

Well said, I too regret coming here and posting in a slightly harsh way as I want to become a part of this community and didn't really want my first foray to be abuse, so sorry. I am like I said not prone to sour grapes and I am excited at the new Unit, I do feel however that from a personal perspective I believed any future hardware updates would have the same relationship to the Ultra and Standard as the Ultra had to the Standard, which is obviously my mistake but still a little disappointing. Basically a do more complex stuff with 99% of the same quality of building blocks with a few exclusives, but alas no.

I never said that. You guys gotta stop putting words in my mouth.
Cliff, you can't believe what a sigh of relief this post has given me!! I had gotten that point of view from quotes on this forum & I guess forum users have been mis-quoting you in that case. I would imagine we'd all be grateful if at some point you could clear up what the future will be for the Ultra with some sort of official announcement? My hope is that Ultra users now will be in much the same position Standard users were in when the Ultra first came out (that would seem logical to me). I just couldn't get my head around this idea that the Ultra had 'matured' & was being left as is. ...I'm glad to find that that was obviously bogus information.

I never said that. You guys gotta stop putting words in my mouth.

I just want to say that in spite of the reservations I have raised in this thread I do love my new Ultra and I think you do a fantastic job, the II looks great too, I don't want to seem like a spoiled kid and to alienate myself from this community at the get go, the branching of your software streams did take me slightly by surprise however, unless I am mistaken by that too.

I bought my standard about 6 months ago. I'm not really concerned about buying the Axe II as soon as it comes out because I'm happy with the tones I'm getting. But like many others I am a bit worried about support for the std and ultra. I know Cliff just posted he didn't say they were done, but its still an uneasy feeling. :|

Fractal Audio has given free upgrades every since I have been around... almost 3 years now. I'm sorry guys... but I don't remember Line 6 giving any "generous" trade in values when that introduced new products. That goes for every other manufacturer I am aware of. I don't expect a trade in on old product. Most of you have gotten much more than you paid for. I just sold PA equipment that cost me over $25,000 for $6,000. It will always be this way ....

I just want to say that in spite of the reservations I have raised in this thread I do love my new Ultra and I think you do a fantastic job, the II looks great too, I don't want to seem like a spoiled kid and to alienate myself from this community at the get go, the branching of your software streams did take me slightly by surprise however, unless I am mistaken by that too.

I'd like to think that it's easy to understand where the people in our situation have been coming from. The ONLY sense of disappointment that I have seen aired here has been either in response to posts on this forum suggesting that the Ultra's lifespan has ended & that all future updates will only be for the Axe II, or in response to the product announcement featured by G66. I think we have all been unanimous in our support of the new product & of Cliff's work though & I'm sure that's appreciated.

I bought my standard about 6 months ago. I'm not really concerned about buying the Axe II as soon as it comes out because I'm happy with the tones I'm getting. But like many others I am a bit worried about support for the std and ultra. I know Cliff just posted he didn't say they were done, but its still an uneasy feeling. :|

I purchased mine about 9 months ago and realized then that updates would stop at some point. How old is the Standard now? Wasn't it introduced in 04 or something like that? That's a long time to be supporting a piece of technical hardware. A testament to the design of it.

Anyone who bought a unit on the promise of, reputation and MASSIVE marketing streak on upgrades and future improvements who have lost the upgrade route to new software 1 generation in has a right to complain.

anyone who buys a piece of gear in the hope of upgrades and/or future OS develepment, instead for what it is right now, is either naive or an idiot. :evil

;)

Consider that the well-received Nigel Tufnel update to Standard/Ultra firmware (v11) is said to have come about through the development AFX II.

This is a tough one, there are two sides... how does fractal bring out a new product which it has to do, how do you not upset people recently purchased an ultra?

got to be honest i dont really know, but i do think the worries of the new ultra users are valid. what would happen if you could some how pick cabs an amps that you dont use, an free up space on your ultra? would that allow you to use some of the new soft ware? kind of like an axe amp store you could pick from? just thinking allowed here, but if my ultra could run the new stuff i would be happy, i dont use all the amps anyhow, an if the new unit runs more than the ultra thats cool an the gang... its the new thing, but would be nice to think the ultra isn't left behind if something great is released.

Bought a Standard a few weeks ago - technical issues - G66 replaced it last week - Axe II announcement. Damn, timing's a b*tch!

This is a tough one, there are two sides... how does fractal bring out a new product which it has to do, how do you not upset people recently purchased an ultra?

got to be honest i dont really know, but i do think the worries of the new ultra users are valid. what would happen if you could some how pick cabs an amps that you dont use, an free up space on your ultra? would that allow you to use some of the new soft ware? kind of like an axe amp store you could pick from? just thinking allowed here, but if my ultra could run the new stuff i would be happy, i dont use all the amps anyhow, an if the new unit runs more than the ultra thats cool an the gang... its the new thing, but would be nice to think the ultra isn't left behind if something great is released.

Hehe, it's funny you say that, I only really need 2 amps sims, a cab sim, one drive sim & a selection of effects & I'm happy! :) ...I'd just like to be able to improve tweak & amend those specific things without having to spend thousands of pounds on a new piece of hardware that I don't actually need (quality not quantity :). There's only so much work one man can do though & maybe it simply isn't possible for Cliff to work on new firmware architecture for the Ultra when he now has a whole new unit to work on. Maybe it's naive of us to assume that the Ultra should be able to run the modelling in the Axe II the same way that the Standard did with the Ultra up until this point, maybe it's all so different that it'd be far too laborious for Cliff to amend the Ultra firmware in such a way? Who knows though, following Cliffs post above, everything thusfar has obviously just been speculation & that certainly leaves me much more hopeful anyway. :)

? i don't think so.... it is a major selling point of the unit, it is why many people... including just humble guitarists have been willing to invest in it. if many people thought that what you got was just in the box at the time, it would have put a lot of people off.. the support and ongoing updates have been vital. i don't think assessing people as idiots is correct.

this was concerning the post about new buyers beeing idiots?

Last edited:
anyone who buys a piece of gear in the hope of upgrades and/or future OS develepment, instead for what it is right now, is either naive or an idiot. :evil

;)

This is not true and I resent the personal attack, that's not cool. I have legitimate concerns as a new purchaser that the support which has long been a HUGE selling point of these products is at risk. I am not going against progress, could not give two shits about resale value and do not begrudge missing out on any of the hardware advances/items too advanced to run on my unit, no sour grapes here, just disappointment at the potential that my brand new fangled shiny product is not going to be supported in the manner it was yesterday and looking for the concerns to be addressed in some manner and official word from the manufacturer, although at times a little exaggerated anger on my part, I don't think I have been unfair in my statements. If you don't understand that as a legitimate consumer concern then I am sorry but you are burying head in fan-boi sand.

For you i would likely guess it will be a free unit!! :mrgreen

Industry standard practice for all people equally is to offer a grace period discount or upgrade pricing within a reasonable 6 month period.

But I'm not complaining if there is not, I am merely just inquiring with a question.

Back
Top Bottom