Recently purchased an Ultra or Standard?

I'm very pleased with my Ultra. I'm just very dissapointed that upon emailing Fractal sales on Feb 25 2011 and asking if I should wait due to any hardware updates/upgrades I was just told they don't give out that information about product development but at the time nothing was planned. Therefore, a few weeks later I made the purchase. If I didn't ask before I bought I wouldn't have an issue. But I did and now I feel there was some dishonesty.

So they told you they don't give out that info but then proceeded to basically give out that info?

Dude, we get it, you're rich and don't view $2k as any big deal. You're surely not alone here in that regard, many other folks have multiple $3k amps and two Ultras and etc etc.

Sorry you got that impression Scott... but that is definitely not the case. The Axe was an upgrade from a Digitech GNX4 with MFX Super Models... which I still have. The process took me some time, like alot of people who are not well off had to save for this unit and had to chose carefully. I went through all the modellers on the market, you name them, I have tried them, they all lacked the most important feature (to me)... feel, the ability to roll of the volume and clean up the tone, just like a real amp.

Well, I finally managed to scrape the dollars together and purchase the Ultra... am I upset about the new release... no, not really, I haven't even scratched the surface of what this thing can do. I am however disappointed on two counts... 1) That I didn't get on-board the Axe-Fx gig earlier, like two years ago when I first started looking at it (financial limitations... I was putting my daughter through University, and we all know how much that costs) and 2) if I waited another two months, I would have been able to get Axe-FX II. (But then I would not have been able to enjoy the fantastic tones and have as much fun as I have been lately).

I feel bad for anyone who sold their amps off to buy an AxeFx. Amps (especially classic, proven ones) retain their value, computer gear does not. Fact of life.

I feel the same, I sold an original 1980 JCM800 2203 several years ago (before they were considered "vintage"... for nothing more than... " I had no need for it" Doh!).... but, you obviously realise that computer gear does not retain its value... therefore, as I suggested in my post... that's an unfortunate risk any buyer takes when purchasing any high end piece of electronic equipment... Axe-Fx is no exception! Caveat Emptor.

So, I too have lost value, (but I still get to play through a JCM 800 in the Ultra...) but as I was drooling over the images and the literature that accompanied the release of the Axe-Fx II... my wife saw that I lusted after this new beast. She said, hay, you know what, you have put one kid through University, and another is about to start next year (we have three).. She said we could maybe save say $200 for the next few months and maybe all things being equal, you can have it... I guess I may be lucky... rich... NOT.

Should I take the risk and buy say in one year, or wait until Axe-Fx III is announced...?

One thing for sure, I have to get to my practice space and play loud through my Ultra tonight. No question. I need to remind myself how even if this all ends with me buying and selling nothing, I *do* have the awesome piece of gear that I paid for. All this Internet discussion is pushing me to lose sight of that, which I don't want.

And now you have hit the nail on the head... Enjoy what you have... shred your heart out... live for now... tomorrows brings another.............. Axe-Fx product.... oops :eek:ops :evil

Just to add my 2 cents as a newbie with an Ultra that I've had for about a month and a half. Certainly you can't fault Fractal in any way (IMHO) for bringing out new technology. Do I feel a little upset that I just bought an Ultra and if I'd only known I could have had something newer/better for only a couple hundred more had I waited? Sure. Of course. Who wouldn't? But it's no fault of Fractal and I certainly am not upset with Fractal. If I'm upset with anyone it's with me for 1) waiting so long to buy an Ultra and 2) not waiting long enough to get a "II". But that's just the way things work with technology. In the end it's a bummer but it's just bad luck I guess. All that said, I think it would help soften the blow to recent purchasers if Fractal offered some sort of rebate/discount for the Axe FX II when it comes out.

Welcome to the fold Dave :)

Thanks Tim. I'm enjoying it so far and kicking myself for not buying one of these things sooner! See you at Connolly's on Saturday?

We're at Connolly's on Friday - O'Dwyer's on Saturday. My other band is at Napper Tandy's on Thursday (I'm playing bass).

I wonder if Eventide gets this much slack for introducing new products. Because they discontinued the H3000 does it make it less of a unit. They are not updating it any longer but as far as I know still support it.
They also discontinued the DSP4500, DSP7000, Orville etc... Products evolve. Just the way it is. Many of those units are still in many pro rack systems. As will be the Standard and Ultra.

Has a single person said they think Fractal should not have made the AxeFx II? I can't remember reading anyone saying they shouldn't make new products.

Back
Top Bottom