Recently got my first AxeFX-XL, any reason why most presets are "dark" sounding? Is this normal?

I thought it is only my problem. ore matter of taste - too dark stock presets. All my presets much more bright in compare with factory banks, it is not a problem actually. I'm playing in IEM, so it is not a matter of gig volume, my sound in the IE monitors really the same as I hear in the PA at the gig volume, so I trust my monitors.

It's not a global setting -- OP has already checked those things. The reality is, there's not much outside of the per-block settings within the preset that can make presets overall sound dark. The global eq is one thing to look at but it appears OP has done that and it was flat. It's just that there are number of stock presets that are dark, muffled, bassy and I've noticed this using humbucker guitars. Those presets probably sound fine with a Strat or Tele.

I apologize if this is a simple answer/fix, but I'm new to the world of digital modeling preamps. I have an AxeFX-XL and MFC101 MKII, and while I love everything about the options, I find myself having to go into a GEQ for almost any preset and bump up the midrange and high end (1K to 4K area) to get it to sound "clear". I have this problem no matter how I hook it up. I've tried the headphone jack into Shure SE325 ear buds, directly out of the XLR output into a Yamaha TF series mixer with flat EQ, into powered PA speakers (I've used EV EKX, and JBL PRX), and I've also just tried going directly out the back into a powered floor monitor with flat EQ. I've used this live a few times now, and I always find myself either drastically altering the EQ on the channel of the board to get it to cut through a mix, or going in and drastically tweaking the amp settings.

It just seems like all the presents sound extremely dark, and all need significant tweaking to get them to cut through a mix. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, what did you do to rectify? I've got a few presets now that I've worked on, and it just seems like I have to tweak just to get it sound clear, and it may or may not depart from the original sound by just trying to get it to sound "good".

Is there something in the settings that will fix this other than EQ? Any help or advice would be appreciated. It just seems like all of the reviews and demos I see of the AxeFX models, have amazing tonality, and what I have here just sounds rather flat and dark.

I guess I was just under the impression that these were a plug and play, and that the presets would sound like the amps directly from the start, directly into a board/powered speaker. What am I doing wrong?

@SinglecutGuy
Sorry you are having such issues with your XL. I see many have tossed some great suggestions to try. I wonder if you might be close to another owner, that might get together with you for a few minutes, to compare notes. Who knows, maybe the used unit you purchased has an issue?? I have an old Ultra, an AxeFXII and recently an XL+, and I've not ever experienced any muddiness with any of the three units, with any of my guitars/bass. I'd like to see you succeed without too much additional frustrations.

Cheers,

Lee

The amps themselves aren't the problem, it's the cabs. I use a Les Paul with Humbuckers and the stock cabs do tend to sound dark and blanketed with that guitar. I heard roughly an 85% improvement once I started using custom cabs.

i remember back in the day when people complained that it was too bright and didn't sound like their amp in the bedroom. lol.

Dunno. I think I read where it was suggested to unhook when doing FW update as it caused issues for some folks.
When you try to use Bot and you have Axe-Edit running at the same time, Bot has priority and axe-edit doesn't work. I discovered this when I updated FW and forgot to close Bot afterwards and Edit wouldn't work. I never remember to unplug my MFC when updating Axe FW, and the update goes per normal.

After FW update I try to use Axe-Edit and it won't talk to the Axe. Close Fractal-Bot and presto, Axe-Edit communicates with Axe again.

That all said, I'm not trying to actually send any MIDI commands to the Axe with the MFC when I'm updating, not stepping on anything or moving any expression pedals. I'd be willing to bet that if commands were being sent from the MFC it might mess things up, but I think that Fractal-Bot takes MIDI priority over everything and prevents external commands from getting to the Axe.

I don't really know for sure though. My experience is limited to just me and the failure modes I've caused, and my troubleshooting technique. I didn't program these toys. If you put a gun to my head and told me to code I'd say make sure my brother gets all my gear when I'm dead.

That's kind of shocking for a unit that sells for over $2K new, is it not?

I agree, it's not unreasonable to expect some decent presets to come with the Axe-Fx, or any modeling unit regardless of cost. One of the great things about the Axe-Fx is it's always being updated, but the presets don't always keep up with the latest firmware. Although right now Q8 presets are available in a sticky at the top of this forum but the official website still points at the Q6 presets.

The factory reset that musicman0001 posted will probably address this but also check the GLOBAL menu and make sure that Power Amp Modeling is turned on and Cabinet Modeling is Active (not bypassed). That's assuming you're using studio monitors, headphones, or a FRFR setup. If you're running the Axe through a power amp and guitar cab then make sure that Cabinet Modeling is Bypassed, and set Power Amp Modeling to taste, I leave it turned on when running through a power amp personally but technically I'm now running my signal through two power amps (one modeled and one real one). FWIW, I recently started playing my Axe-FX II more and found all the presets to be way too bright.

This is odd.

The new FW is bright and this is confirmed by Cliff...

8.02 sounds less bright to me than previous versions. All of my patches seem slightly dulled since the update. Opening this thread I though someone else was experiencing the same thing but it seems it's only me...

Attitudes like this are exactly why I've also said the Axe shouldn't include any presets, just a blank slate.

People seem to feel that because its $2k its supposed to give them amazing tone without them having to do more than just press a button. They'd probably like a side of talent with it too lol.

Look at most Mesa Boogie amps, you can spend $2k on one of those and does it sound amazing out of the box ? Heck no, most people find it sounds pretty bad. You need to learn the amp and dial in the tones to make it sound great. I'm sure plenty of people have returned them after 20 minutes though because they didn't sound like JP did in a video.....

Also for what its worth, there have been plenty of people who have claimed the newer FW's are "too brite" and "harsh", so for every "dark" perception there is someone out there who feels the opposite. Its just like food or anything, one mans spicey is another mans bland

Given it sounds like you know your stuff with regards to live sound, and making things sound, at least subjectively to you, "good". It should be no problem at all for you to go through and tweak a few presets into something far superior than what the folks at Fractal included.

Your of course also more than welcome to save those edited banks and upload them on the forum, sharing what is a "useable" tone with the community here. I'm sure folks will be very appreciative as a whole, HOWEVER, I highly doubt every user is going to say they sound ideal, no doubt some folks will say they liked the stock preset sound better.

which is fine, because again, the whole reason we have these tone shaping tools is because we are all different. The Axe isn't a preset box, thank god.

Cliff could of designed a unit with no editable settings, just one knob that scrolls through a number of fixed preset tones. Take it or leave it, have the same sound as anyone else. A true one-hit wonder kit.
Well... Even though I find factory presets 100% useless I get there are others that long for some one telling what constitutes "good". If if it is anything but.
Now that said....and I just wrote this some place else...
unless you do the "hair cut n a shave" eq move on the cab it'll sound ratty with gain... Holds true for all things whether miked or modelled.
In my early days sticking a 57 in front of say a Classic 80 or any other speaker that lets call it isn't very British sounding.
That is like OD oedalds combining with amps and guitars...a 57 and v30 make for a great combo.
Some modellers must have odd mic positions cause using any new 57 on any new v30 in any kind of enclosure and less than premium volume translated to less than optimum monitoring equals ratty top end.
Enter hair cut and a shave by either rolling off top in the cab or by using a darker mic model.
Side effect...the "mwah" honky/nasal factor increases. Shouldn't happen.

So in my world...57 on a v30 I'm done. Any modeller...or more specially any amp:s line out, preamp, etc into cab modelling is serious dialing time.

"Too dark" is opinion. The brightness of the presets is all over the map. If you can't get ANY of them to sit in a mix, you are justified in asking for advice. But you didn't stop there....

This thread was fine until the OP expressed "shock" at having to do something as fundamental as adjusting eq to his liking, and then questioned the price when he purchased it second-hand and provided no financial support to Fractal in the first place. Why do you think the Axe has such extensive eq options? So they would never have to be used? This reasoning escapes me. Tone is subjective, and eq is your friend.

Adjust your eq like a man. It won't hurt or give you herpes. Better yet, learn to make your own presets from scratch and learn what an IR is. Choosing an appropriate IR is your only hope for negating the need for eq. Best of luck to you sorting through thousands of IRs trying to find one with the perfect inherent eq. IMO, even the best IRs can benefit from an eq tweak.

Time for me to get back to listening to some Holdsworth and his dark tone...far darker than most Axe presets. Sounds like he may have used the Axe and been stuck with one of those shitty presets. Good thing; it sounds awesome in his mix.

doing a complete reset is a good idea, but i think we also need a reality check....actually a reality "comparison"

i've attached a preset. it's very simple. basically just amp and cab with a touch of delay and reverb. all i did in terms of tweaking was adjust the basic amp controls slightly and add a little motor drive in the amp block

i've also linked to a wav file so you can hear what it sounds like to me. i'm using a warmoth parts guitar with an alder body, ash top, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. the pickup is a dimarzio air zone, which is a fat and warm sounding paf.

have a listen to the clip and try the preset (use axe edit to import it to your axe fx)

compare. if they sound significantly different, then there may be a problem that needs looking at.

http://simeonharris.co.uk/misc/Test_Plexi.wav

i would describe the tone here as "classic". fairly well balanced with a bit of bite to help it cut through and plenty of mids. i've no idea what style of music you play, but hopefully it will be able to give you some indication. i would be happy to use this tone for recording or live. it took me 5 mins to dial in.

Attachments

• Test Plexi.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 35
doing a complete reset is a good idea, but i think we also need a reality check....actually a reality "comparison"

i've attached a preset. it's very simple. basically just amp and cab with a touch of delay and reverb. all i did in terms of tweaking was adjust the basic amp controls slightly and add a little motor drive in the amp block

i've also linked to a wav file so you can hear what it sounds like to me. i'm using a warmoth parts guitar with an alder body, ash top, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. the pickup is a dimarzio air zone, which is a fat and warm sounding paf.

have a listen to the clip and try the preset (use axe edit to import it to your axe fx)

compare. if they sound significantly different, then there may be a problem that needs looking at.

http://simeonharris.co.uk/misc/Test_Plexi.wav

Yes, having a reference is so important.

An investment in some of the newest 3rd party IRs (the Celestion pLus flavors and the very recent core sets from Ownhammer , valhallir, and cabIR.eu come to mind as well as what is available on the FAS software page.) have helped quite a few users here and on other modelers sites. the current state-of-the art seem to rectify that perceived darkness with little or no tweakage

Why do you think the Axe has such extensive eq options? So they would never have to be used?

A lot of real amps don't have extensive EQ options extraneous to the front panel controls and many of them sound just fine without employing the use of an external EQ. When I first acquired the Axe, I gave the stock presets a cursory listen and went straight to building my own presets from scratch. Compared to a vast number of samples I'd heard from others, my presets tended to sound really dark and I'd have to perform some major cutting and boosting to lift the blanket, far more than if I'd just plugged into a real amp and set the front panel controls to taste. Since then, I've come to recognize that in my case the stock cabs and my guitar / PUP's had everything to do with it. Once I switched to the custom cabs I've been using for awhile now, the difference was night and day. In essence, I believe it's that combination (your guitar / PUP's & cabs) that are two of the most prominent factors at play here.

It's also probably worthwhile to post this quote from Cliff over at The Gear Page forum:

"The Axe-Fx/AX-8 are no more or less mellow than a real amp. However my personal choice of cab IRs tends towards the mellow side and the stock cabs reflect that. You'll notice that many of the stock cabs are Royer 121 or Beyer M160 which are ribbon mics and have a mellow character. I don't think there's a single IR using a solo SM57. If you like edgier tones then load some IRs using SM57s or MD421s."

Back
Top Bottom