FM9 Reaper latency MacBook Pro max direct usb connection

DGD

I’m new here and just started to learn basics of recording with my FM9
I have watched multiple videos in YouTube couldn’t Figure out how to reduce latency setting
Adam steel was adjusting latency on his reaper basics video from ASIO configuration. But I couldn’t figure out how to reduce my latency on reaper. I have a good MacBook Pro and fm-9T is directly connected to MacBook by usb cable
I’m only recording guitar with FM9 no mic or other instruments involved , daw monitoring is off I’m using FM9 headphone for monitoring
Current latency is 13/13
Could you please help me to reduce the latency?
If I get Apollo or Presonus with spdif in and out do I get better latency or worse because more devices in the loop cause more isssue?
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 3A95D147-538E-4158-920D-C69CE0CC51C7.jpeg
    3A95D147-538E-4158-920D-C69CE0CC51C7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • EFA82EBA-0209-4752-81FB-FCB2C9CC47A1.jpeg
    EFA82EBA-0209-4752-81FB-FCB2C9CC47A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Reduce the buffer size in the Audio device settings in Reaper (they call it block size with some audio engines). You currently have it set to 512 samples, which is pretty conservative. Depending on the performance of your computer, you can likely lower it quite a bit. I typically run mine in Windows at 32 samples. Smaller buffer means less latency, but comes at the cost of CPU load. If you start getting dropouts or artifacts, turn it back up a bit until those go away.

Like GlennO said, when you monitor direct (software monitoring is turned off in Reaper) you have no additional latency. Latency only really matters when you are trying to monitor the DAW output in real time like when using software instruments or monitoring plugins on the input in real time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DGD
I’m new here and just started to learn basics of recording with my FM9
I have watched multiple videos in YouTube couldn’t Figure out how to reduce latency setting
Adam steel was adjusting latency on his reaper basics video from ASIO configuration. But I couldn’t figure out how to reduce my latency on reaper. I have a good MacBook Pro and fm-9T is directly connected to MacBook by usb cable
I’m only recording guitar with FM9 no mic or other instruments involved , daw monitoring is off I’m using FM9 headphone for monitoring
Current latency is 13/13
Could you please help me to reduce the latency?
If I get Apollo or Presonus with spdif in and out do I get better latency or worse because more devices in the loop cause more isssue?
Thank you in advance
If “13/13” means 13 milliseconds, that seems like a low latency already.

How are you determining you need to reduce latency? What is the issue you’re facing that needs latency to be reduced?

I’m using my headphone plugged to FM9
Is this considered monitoring direct? Sorry I am beginner I may ask stupid questions while.
If you’re hearing a noticeable latency, then it sounds like you’re not monitoring direct. 13 msec would be quite high. Be sure to turn off input monitoring in Reaper. If you’re new to recording your FM9, I would recommend reading the recording guide linked above. That has all the instructions you’ll need to get started.

Pretty much any digital audio connection will have latency, so if your goal is only to reduce it so the number says 0, that’s not usually possible or needed.

If you are not hearing a significant delay from the time you strike the string to when you hear it - which you shouldn’t if your headphones are connected to the FM9 - then there’s really no need to reduce latency here.

Did you see someone say “be sure to reduce your latency” and that’s why you’re doing it? Or is there an issue when recording?

Reactions: DGD
Reduce the buffer size in the Audio device settings in Reaper (they call it block size with some audio engines). You currently have it set to 512 samples, which is pretty conservative. Depending on the performance of your computer, you can likely lower it quite a bit. I typically run mine in Windows at 32 samples. Smaller buffer means less latency, but comes at the cost of CPU load. If you start getting dropouts or artifacts, turn it back up a bit until those go away.

Like GlennO said, when you monitor direct (software monitoring is turned off in Reaper) you have no additional latency. Latency only really matters when you are trying to monitor the DAW output in real time like when using software instruments or monitoring plugins on the input in real time.
THIS WAS WERY HELPFUL!!
I have changed the block size to 32 now I see my latency down to 3.9/3.6ms
I do have MacBook Pro M1 max 32 so pretty capable of handling cpu load.
Thank you

Pretty much any digital audio connection will have latency, so if your goal is only to reduce it so the number says 0, that’s not usually possible or needed.

If you are not hearing a significant delay from the time you strike the string to when you hear it - which you shouldn’t if your headphones are connected to the FM9 - then there’s really no need to reduce latency here.

Did you see someone say “be sure to reduce your latency” and that’s why you’re doing it? Or is there an issue when recording?
Thank you I was watching g66 latency video also adam Steele said on his reaper video 20 is very high for him he reduced his at the beginning of the his video so I thought I need to figure out this first.
But now I changed the block size to 32. My latency is showing 3.9./3.6 it should be good
Thank you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom