R.I.P Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Horrific tragedy. An incredible actor, and a very nice human being (I used to run into him often when he lived in the East Village - at cafes etc., and he was always a sweet, down to earth guy). I cannot imagine the rewiring that opiates do to the brain. I cannot imagine his torment. And yet, I am still angry at him - as a father. he left 3 little kids and that just makes it so much, much more tragic. I know not to be angry, I know this is not a matter of control, or even sanity. But dammit, I wish he'd found a way to overcome, for them, and for all of the amazing performances he could have done and now never will.

As many times as it takes for our youth to realize that "drugs are bad". As many times as it takes for our youth to realize that if you get hooked on "drugs" you are destroying yourself and the ones who love you.

THIS is the crux of the issue I have. Celebrities are glorified. Even in death. Why? Because they were talented. They killed themselves with a horrible habit. It WAS suicide. Heroin addiction = early death. Self inflicted. The media doesn't say "Drug addict who was a brilliant actor". They say "Brilliant actor who left us too soon. He allegedly died of an accidental drug overdose". As someone who worked with addiction and the addicted, this is sending the wrong message. Every time.

How about, instead of viewing him as a celebrity or a junky, you view him as a human being? Or does that require more humanity than you possess, because it sure seems that way?

I didn't share my inner most secrets to gain respect (although it is appreciated :) ) or to attract attention. It was to demonstrate and show people a different perspective on things. Everybody judges, plain and simple. If you don't, then you've never read the news or been outside and spent your whole life as a Buddist. And that's OK too.

There was no need for people to provoke and insult each other over a difference of opinion. Just because my views differ from yours, it doesn't mean that either of us are right or wrong. It's called respect and it's sadly lacking in the world as a whole, not just on this forum. It saddens me deeply to think that PSH has left behind a family that right now are mourning his loss and the focus on this thread has shifted from a mark of respect to a moral superiority crusade.

If you only take away one thing from everything that I've said, let it be this:

We are ALL human and no human is perfect. Let us not judge unless we wish to be judged.

And that my friends was my final word.

Found the Reddit post about heroin: noonenone comments on Heroin users of r/drugs, are you addicts?

This is basically why PSH is no longer with us, and why those who say that this is something one can just shake off are mistaken. Just because he was a rich guy and an actor does not mean he wasn't in pain. I say this as someone who had suffered from depression in the past. Mine just went away on its own, but some people need help, and some don't have anyone who could help them deal with it.

Found the Reddit post about heroin: noonenone comments on Heroin users of r/drugs, are you addicts?

This is basically why PSH is no longer with us, and why those who say that this is something one can just shake off are mistaken. Just because he was a rich guy and an actor does not mean he wasn't in pain. I say this as someone who had suffered from depression in the past. Mine just went away on its own, but some people need help, and some don't have anyone who could help them deal with it.

Interesting read, thanks.

Interesting read, thanks.

After reading the contents included in the link below:

Hoffman Among Thousands of Addiction Victims - ABC News

I find it very difficult to judge addicts. It doesn't seem as if it's as easy as saying "Just use your will power and work hard at it to cure your addiction". Sounds like the brain doesn't allow itself to be cured from certain weaknesses and hence these ever lasting permanent cravings that seem to haunt many addicts.

I'm spending a fair amount of time on this topic, not because I want to stir the pot further, but because I think it's important to understand as much as possible what addiction means as an illness and what can and can't be done to cure it. Doesn't seem like there are currently text book answers for these cures.

There should never be a tiered value on human life, but in the case of someone we are exposed to via an art form, it hits harder, since it is greatly publicized. Doesn't mean we should care more about celebrities, just means your awareness of these sad cases is very heightened and you end up spending more time thinking about the loss of household names as opposed to anonymous souls who lose their battle everyday; that should not have any bearing on the amount of compassion awarded to individuals with an addiction illness.

Last edited:
Speaking as a constantly on-again/off-again addict, in my experience there is no "cure" for addiction. Sometimes the addict may want to be rid of it more than others. Those who are in a relationship with an addict need to know that it's not their responsibility to "fix" them, or a failing if the addict doesn't change his or her behavior permanently; only the addict can choose not to act on the addiction, and it's a choice that will need to be made every day for the rest of his or her life.

If they choose to return to addiction, that's their prerogative. Nobody but the addict knows what inner demons are being wrestled with. An outsider may judge the condition of addiction as being less desirable, but that's based on *their* perception of life, NOT the addict's.

I support the decision to end one's life for the same reason. NOBODY else knows, or has the right to judge, someone else's opinion on whether their own life is worth living.

I don't know if PSH overdosed deliberately or accidentally, but neither his drug use nor its eventual outcome have any effect on my opinion of him. I didn't know he even used drugs until Sunday, and the fact that he did didn't alter the value of his contributions in my view.

I really liked PSH he was an excellent actor, but most of the time (not always) excellence is achieved by obsession. Which is a great tool as long as it is unleashed on the right thing, and a nightmare used on the wrong things.
Drugs/addiction is one of, if not the most selfish lifestyle anyone can have. Love people for what they are and not what they do. Just be be careful if you have a relationship with them and not to take it personally if you get let down.
I also don't agree that addiction is an illness. It is simply an appetite (just like food or sex) although many times artificially created by and not kept in check by the addict.
I've seen a few people overcome addictions and it usually don't happen if A. you blame someone else or B. you romanticize or court your addiction. Usually a 2 minute conversation will let you know. But you can still love or care about people just don't take things personally, because they usually think it's only about them.

RIP PSH you were an excellent entertainer.

I really liked PSH he was an excellent actor, but most of the time (not always) excellence is achieved by obsession. Which is a great tool as long as it is unleashed on the right thing, and a nightmare used on the wrong things.
Drugs/addiction is one of, if not the most selfish lifestyle anyone can have. Love people for what they are and not what they do. Just be be careful if you have a relationship with them and not to take it personally if you get let down.
I also don't agree that addiction is an illness. It is simply an appetite (just like food or sex) although many times artificially created by and not kept in check by the addict.
I've seen a few people overcome addictions and it usually don't happen if A. you blame someone else or B. you romanticize or court your addiction. Usually a 2 minute conversation will let you know. But you can still love or care about people just don't take things personally, because they usually think it's only about them.

RIP PSH you were an excellent entertainer.

I would respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with you there. If we regard depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as illnesses, then addiction fits also.

The difference is whether it is a disease or illness, which are two different things.

Choices.........U can have all the money & fame in the world, obviously it doesent equate to Joy & Happiness. He was a captivating actor

I would respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with you there. If we regard depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as illnesses, then addiction fits also.

The difference is whether it is a disease or illness, which are two different things.

I personally know (have known) people with depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and people with addictions, but addictions doesn't fit with these even though they can share some of the same symptoms or actions. Its easier to stereo type things but these are not the same.

I personally know (have known) people with depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and people with addictions, but addictions doesn't fit with these even though they can share some of the same symptoms or actions. Its easier to stereo type things but these are not the same.

How so?

The title says it all. One of my all time favourite actors. Heroin overdose at 46. 46! That's waaaaay to early to die. :(

It's a perfectly reasonable time to die if you're doing something as idiotic as heroin, IMO. I hear he left behind three kids under the age of ten... if anything, people should feel sad for them. Or maybe they're better off without a heroin addict for a father.

Illness? Not really, not exactly in my book. It's convenient to call it that in that it leads to treatment instead of mere incarceration, which is good. Yes, of course, the BEING is sick. And the body craves and certain personalities are more probe to addiction. But I think it's a misnomer to say heroin addiction is a sickness.

I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman acting. It's so sad he died.

Back
Top Bottom