Quick question about the new multidelay diffusion

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Since there is a change on the diffusion on the multidelay block, does anybody know how the structure and functionality of this is changed compared to how i previously worked? Is it by any chance more like the Lexicon PCM series?

I tried it out last night for just a little bit and the INPUT DIFFUSION appears to smear the delays into a reverb like, indistinct repeats. Play with it is all I can say. Perhaps someone can diagram the signal path like on the wikis.

Last edited:
That's what it also did before (if you put it into words). I'm more interested in the design structure/flow compared to before.

I haven't yet loaded the firmware to try it yet, but just based on that control ban name I have to assume if diffuses the signal coming into the block before applying the delay effects. Hence: Input Diffusion.

It hasn't taken away the previous Diffusion parameter, which still diffuses/crossfeeds the multiple taps together. It simply adds a new parameter, and based on the name, my guess is it is placed just before the 4 Delay lines split off.

I tried it very briefly and loved what I heard on all the types (enumerated in the release notes) except Plex Shift. Either it wasn't working there, or I wasn't doing something right because I was rushed for time. But full Diffusion and Input Diffusion on the Plex Shift still left plenty of noticeable repeats (where it practically turned Plex and Plex Detune into reverbs).

It hasn't taken away the previous Diffusion parameter, which still diffuses/crossfeeds the multiple taps together. It simply adds a new parameter, and based on the name, my guess is it is placed just before the 4 Delay lines split off.

I tried it very briefly and loved what I heard on all the types (enumerated in the release notes) except Plex Shift. Either it wasn't working there, or I wasn't doing something right because I was rushed for time. But full Diffusion and Input Diffusion on the Plex Shift still left plenty of noticeable repeats (where it practically turned Plex and Plex Detune into reverbs).
Actually, it has replaced the earlier diffusion. There used to be diffusion and diffusion time now we have input diffusion and diffusion time.

Actually, it has replaced the earlier diffusion. There used to be diffusion and diffusion time now we have input diffusion and diffusion time.

Hmm I missed that - and that's again because I was rushed and was adjusting one parameter from the front panel and the other from Axe-Edit (this was in the time after the release but before Axe-Edit got updated).

yes, the old one is still there. it sounds very different to the older diffusion. repeats start normal and then get progressively blurred. it can sound a little "ringy" on higher settings i find, but the hi cut parameter sorts that out. i prefer the old diffusion, especially in the plex detune for reverby type washes.

watch out if you use input diffusion, because it's much more sensitive to modulation or detune than (output?) diffusion

Back
Top Bottom