Question about the mic sims and the possibility of a null cab.

DLM

Power User
I really don't know how the mic sims in the Axe are done, but since you can apply them to the user presets, I'm assuming the mic sims themselves are separate and apart from the cabs?

If that's so, I was wondering if it would be possible to add in a "Null" cab to the Axe. Basically, a cabinet that's not really a cab sim. It's just a flat passthrough that would allow you to apply the mic characteristics to the tone without the coloration of a cab sim.

For example, I don't use cab sims on my bass patches, yet it might be cool to get some mic coloration on them. Or the revolution patch that me and a couple of others have been working on. That doesn't use a cab, but being able to color the tone a bit with mic sims would allow you to create new tones that have those individual characteristics.

So basically, it would amount to adding a "cab" that was simply a passthrough and had no real data, so it likely wouldn't take up any space other than the name. (Though only Cliff would know that for sure.)

Anyway, if I'm way off the mark or whatever, feel free to delete the post. I just had the idea yesterday and thought it would be pretty cool if we could do that, so I wanted to find out if it was even possible.

Interesting idea. What if you had an IR that was totally flat? Load that up in an IR slot, select it and they mic. Not sure where a flat IR is.

Yeah, could do that too. I just don't know where to get a flat IR that acts as a passthrough. If anyone knows where to get one, I'd love to try this out. If people like the idea, maybe it's something that could be added into the firmware at some point, if possible.

Try setting teh Air parameter to 100%. I think that's the equivalent passing straight through.

get Voxengo's Deconvolver (demo is free and totally sufficient)

generate a sweep
add about 1 second to the end of that sweep (the Deconvolver exspects the sweep response to be longer than the sweep)
save the sweep + the one second with a different filename.
load the original sweep in the Deconvolver, load the +1 second sweep as the impulse response
press deconvolve
now you have a file that ends with _dc
if it's not at 48k yet, resample it to this sample rate
load it into AlbertA's AxeIR converter
save it as a sysex
load the sysex with AxeEdit

since the sweep and the sweep response are identical, you now have a 'flat' IR.

trust me, this sounds a lot worse than it is.

Last edited:
Rex' post is something I'd actually like to have Cliff chime in on; I'm definitely not convinced that Air at 100% = 100% LPF'd direct signal.

Thanks for the skinny on how to make a neutral IR, Don. :)

Ok I got it to work. I'll post it here for anyone who's curious. Honestly, I thought the mic sims would give a better result with the direct tone than they do. Still, it was interesting to try this out. I might experiment with it more in the future with some different patches to see how it affects different tones.

There was only one difference in your process Don. I didn't need to generate the 4 second sweep. When I did that I got a really dead, very non-flat response. I used the 3 second one on itself and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again for the tips and help Don. :)

Guess I should have named that IR different. Something like Full Range Flat or something. It's perfectly flat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom