question about firmware 11.XX

yea i think the low end being wrangled in is the best aspect of the new tone. I'm still on the fences about the bite in the high end, but i think it's more of a "i need to tweak" type of thing. It feels more natural and organic to me overall. And that irritating stringy sound is gone which is fantastic!

Generally very impressed. I ungraded my Ultra last night and spent an hour today using my high gain tones. I primarily use the Recifier Orange model and the VH4 with Redwirez Mesa cab SM57 1 inch away from the cap, and there's quite a bit more fizz in the top end. Response is better and the low end is very much under control now. All in all, it NOW sounds perfectly lie the heads I know and love. It's much more precise than it was.

So, considering the taming of the low end (among other changes), do you think we'll be seeing less negative impact of proximity effect with the RedWirez mics?

I made note of the CPU% for a few models in 10.05; all use ~0.2% more in 11.
Some of my patches have gone up by more than that. I've had to take a block out of one patch to fit it into memory. I also notice that the volume had gone up, and the output clip light is now flashing red on a lot of patches.

That said, the sound does seem a little clearer, and I'm still getting that excitement from the audio quality.

So, considering the taming of the low end (among other changes), do you think we'll be seeing less negative impact of proximity effect with the RedWirez mics?

The proximity effect is a dynamic mic artifact, and since the update hasn't touched cab IRs or its implementation (that I know of) the proximity effect will still be there. However, as there's less wooliness in the tone overall, the negative aspect of the tone that could be due to the poweramp is hugely reduced. The proximity effect isn't reduced, it just has less bass frequencies to work with.

Some of my patches have gone up by more than that. I've had to take a block out of one patch to fit it into memory. I also notice that the volume had gone up, and the output clip light is now flashing red on a lot of patches.

That said, the sound does seem a little clearer, and I'm still getting that excitement from the audio quality.
Similar experience here -- I had a patch with 2 amps/cabs + effects, and it just so happened that this was the first patch I tried after upgrading my Ultra. At first I thought something was wrong with the new firmware because it kept clicking and popping, then I realized that I was at 95-96% CPU. None of my patches were above 90% previously.

Nevertheless, I will gladly trade a bit of extra CPU usage for better sound. In this case I ended up breaking my patch into two separate presets.

i cant get the firmware to be recognized by my ultra....can someone please help?

Try it a few times, and if you are using the midi-merger, disconnect it and just hook the ultra direct to your midi interface. I had to do it a few times to get it to take.

I've got a different question for those of you who upgraded to 11. I haven't purchased the hardware needed to connect my ultra to my computer yet. My existing equipment only lets the computer talk to the ultra but doesn't allow a return signal. So the question is: In your opinion, do you think you would spend the money to buy the hardware needed to go from 10.xx to 11.xx? Keep in mind that this could be the last major upgrade we see. If it had a new amp model or two I wouldn't even ask, but I'm already getting the best tones I've ever had without using extra EQ tweaks and filters in the chain.

I guess I should mention that I'm using a PC running WinXP and my computer interface is a Roland SonicCell. I've also tried a V-Synth GT but it won't allow the return signal.

I've got a different question for those of you who upgraded to 11. I haven't purchased the hardware needed to connect my ultra to my computer yet. My existing equipment only lets the computer talk to the ultra but doesn't allow a return signal. So the question is: In your opinion, do you think you would spend the money to buy the hardware needed to go from 10.xx to 11.xx? Keep in mind that this could be the last major upgrade we see. If it had a new amp model or two I wouldn't even ask, but I'm already getting the best tones I've ever had without using extra EQ tweaks and filters in the chain.

I guess I should mention that I'm using a PC running WinXP and my computer interface is a Roland SonicCell. I've also tried a V-Synth GT but it won't allow the return signal.

If you have a USB port, you can buy a USB/MIDI interface for around €20 delivered from China.

I was quite similar, in that I get the tone from the amp rather than use EQ or any other effects, and I can understand that an update that included new amps would be a given for upgrading....

....however, this update improves EVERY amp. It's not like some previous updates where resonator block were improved, or synth blocks that may not be used by most.

So, given the cost of cable, I would absolutely recommend upgrading.

Hope that helps. :)

I think the release of Axe2 has overshadowed the fact that the amp upgrade in version 11 is killer! This a major improvement to that area

I agree with that, last night I upgraded my Ultra and today a Standard for a friend, and also a second Ultra for our sound guy, everyone is very happy, Thanks Cliff!

I bought the Ultra six months ago and saw now the Axe Fx II is coming, well I love this product and am very grateful for the company in that they continue to provide updates for legacy products in order to give users a continued better experience. I loaded V11 firmware and thank you, thank you, thank you. I am very grateful... now it sounds more like a mic + speaker relation with less flubby bass. I use V30's and Randall MTS for the big rig, V11 sounds much closer with tighter bass. I want to have a quick studio tool and the Ultra with the new V11 firmware is a gift. Thanks to all who took the time to continue a great experience with the Ultra with the new firmware. One last comment, I hope the programming and marketing strategy goes something like this... good, better, best... the standard, ultra, and FXII will be current products and have continued updates for some time to come. I don't think the Ultra I have is obsolete so I hope the company keeps perfecting the product on all levels. Thanks Fractal you deserve more gratitude than you receive here on the forum sometimes.

The Ultra definitely sounds better after the upgrade. This is a MAJOR improvement! I could not be happier. Actually, I was so happy I forgot about the Axe II, for the moment :lol

If you have a USB port, you can buy a USB/MIDI interface for around €20 delivered from China.

I was quite similar, in that I get the tone from the amp rather than use EQ or any other effects, and I can understand that an update that included new amps would be a given for upgrading....

....however, this update improves EVERY amp. It's not like some previous updates where resonator block were improved, or synth blocks that may not be used by most.

So, given the cost of cable, I would absolutely recommend upgrading.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the response. A few months ago I was reading post after post about people having trouble finding hardware that would reliably work with their computer and the Axe Fx. I thought that the general consensus (at the time) indicated that the most reliable interfaces all cost more than $70. I guess I need to revisit that thread.

I updated but haven't tested it at home,
I have a gig tonight and will see how it works on my current presets,
love trial by fire. :D

The number of amps written down in the list don't matter. It matters how many of them work for you.
And the better this machine got, the more amps did it for me. When I got mine at Firmware 5.xx only a handful were good enough. At 10.05 the majority did it for me. I guess they get more and more with every upgrade. To me, updates that lead to a better performance are more important than new amps.
BTW: Look at L6, they had an endless number of amps, did it really matter? Now they changed to a small number of HD amps...

+1 i like this upgrade and finally all the flubby and muddy are gone. Now it's time to re-tweak all my preset to reduce all the fizzness due to abuse of filters, peqs and geqs:) thank you Cliff

i found the same thing!
i also flattened out my global eq's
Digging 11,
oh what to do...do i need the II?
yeah, gotta have it

Last edited:
Is it me or does the Master volume response seem much better with 11? I noticed right away the tightening up of the bass, but messing with the JCM 800 and Marsha cranking the Master used to get muddy, that seems to no longer be the case.

Back
Top Bottom