question about firmware 11.XX

Army

The new firmware for the Ultra uses technology of the Axe-Fx 2 in amp modelling. Of course I'm considering to update, but what I'm wondering is, will this new technology use a lot more cpu power? I just don't want to update and then see that my Ultra isn't strong enough anymore. I know I could downgrade again, but knowing about this before doing any action is what I'd prefer.

Thanks for your answers!

I'm pretty sure it will not render your Ultra useless. It's "just" power-amp emulation that's affected. New code does not necessarily mean more CPU. It might even be more efficiënt code, reducing CPU load.

Haven't tested it yet, just thinking out loud.

has anyone tried it yet?

I'm wondering if there are any other changes that people would notice.
Anyways, can't wait to be home and load the new firmware up.

I'm just a little bit careful here, because 1. I'm a very new user of the Axe-Fx, never did an update and 2. the amp simulation is said to be the biggest cpu eater. In my live presets I almost always use two amp simulations and with the effects etc my Ultra uses about 70% of the cpu. In case this goes up to 90% or something, it would really be too high for me to still have a good feeling while playing. But hole, you are right, it might be more efficient, although to be honest I doubt it (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!)
georg_f, as you seem to be doing it later today, could you please post a comparison here?

Not really big improvements/ changes for a step from 10.05 to 11.0! More like a 10.10... .

I hope that they don´t discontinue the Axe 1... :?

yeah i'm quite underwhelmed by this firmware upgrade. i was hoping for more effect blocks or parameter controls or something... of course i'm sure the amp improvements would be better but i mainly use the axe fx for effects.

on Fractal website there's a link for the Ultra labeled "firmware 11.0" but the starting download says Firmware 10.5.

@Bakerman

In the Brief for the AxeFX II it states "the Standard and Ultra are fully matured". I wouldn't count on any more FW upgrades for our vintage units :D

Not really big improvements/ changes for a step from 10.05 to 11.0! More like a 10.10... .

I hope that they don´t discontinue the Axe 1... :?

Seriously? I think there is a big difference in both sound and feel in v11. The amp models feel and sound better, less flubby and a more pleasant top end. Each to their own I guess :)

You should maybe test it before going round posting that there is very little difference, after testing if you still think there is no difference then that's cool. I think there is a big difference in feel and tone, soooo looking forward to rehearsal on Thursday.

Spence

Seriously? I think there is a big difference in both sound and feel in v11. The amp models feel and sound better, less flubby and a more pleasant top end. Each to their own I guess :)

How did you do the update ??? I've tried using axe-edit 0.9.191 and firmware 11 is just not recognized...
:-(

You should maybe test it before going round posting that there is very little difference, after testing if you still think there is no difference then that's cool. I think there is a big difference in feel and tone, soooo looking forward to rehearsal on Thursday.

Spence

Like.

+1 i like this upgrade and finally all the flubby and muddy are gone. Now it's time to re-tweak all my preset to reduce all the fizzness due to abuse of filters, peqs and geqs:) thank you Cliff

Totally tightens up the power amp. Now I can slam virtual 6L6 fender amps and they stay a lot tighter. Love it!

Spence

Sounds awesome, Im fiddling around try to achevie same clear tight rock tone. Would you mind share this preset?

Back
Top Bottom