question about firmware 11.XX

Why bother; the AxeFX Ultra sucks now..... :razz

By the way the clip does sound great, I think that I'll be updating during my lunchbreak today.

yeah, i wouldn't consider this a major jump in firmware especially since i'm using the axe fx in front of my amp for effects only. i'm still hoping we get some more od pedals and other effects. that said, the plexi clip in this thread does sound very good!

I also noticed the annoying string attack/quack sound in the high end that i was never was able to dial out seems to be gone. The bass also seems way more under control. On v10 the low end palm mutes were really hard to control and boomy, now it seems to have none of that issue. so awesome

I think the release of Axe2 has overshadowed the fact that the amp upgrade in version 11 is killer! This a major improvement to that area

Downloaded new Firmware...gotta wait until I get home to load it. Excited to hear the flubbiness and quackiness are tamed. That will make my high gain patches VERY much better...and I can free up some CPU by removing the filters/PEQ's I don't really need.

yea i primarily play high gain modern stuff I think anyone dialing in those type of tones will be pleasantly suprised things just got better and more polished

Downloaded new Firmware...gotta wait until I get home to load it. Excited to hear the flubbiness and quackiness are tamed. That will make my high gain patches VERY much better...and I can free up some CPU by removing the filters/PEQ's I don't really need.

yea i primarily play high gain modern stuff I think anyone dialing in those type of tones will be pleasantly suprised things just got better and more polished

IIRC, I think the firmware update will have a more profound effect on more vintage style amps. It said "produces tighter, more defined bass and also less flubiness when using high MV settings." Generally, high gain amps are set to low MV settings. I could be totally off here, I'm just going off what the update says

Very nice to hear about another, sounds like a really nice update. I just ordered my used ultra today. Thank you Fractal for continuing updates. I have read time and time again about fractals support. It sounds like it is second to none. The sample that was put out a few threads above me sounds awesome. I can't wait till my unit arrives.

IIRC, I think the firmware update will have a more profound effect on more vintage style amps. It said "produces tighter, more defined bass and also less flubiness when using high MV settings." Generally, high gain amps are set to low MV settings. I could be totally off here, I'm just going off what the update says

i typically like fatter more saturated high gain tones i usually have my master around 5-7 so maybe that's why thing are sounding extra tasty

Last edited:

Valid point, but some of us use lower gain amp models with a drive block in front to get high gain :D Either way, I'm excited to hear the update. Just 4 hours and counting until I can get home.

i love the new firmware i mostly use the ultra for high gain stuf an even like the marsha's im going high gain with. I think the firmware is what ive been wanting without actually knowing it. Today i dialed in one of the best lead tones ive ever had with an amp i barely have used. I can but the bass all the way up on the uberschall no problem same with the marsha stuf and i have no problem...still there are very few amps i do this with but the uber and the hbe really shine with a high bass. I think it has also helped me because i choose to run all my high gain patches masters at 5...it just feels better than 10.5

Spent some time with it last night and if this is the last update for a while I think that it's a great one. Yeah there's not 10 new amp models and effects in there, but to me the note definition and string to string seperation has increased dramatically. The high and low end aren't as extreme to me either. I had adjusted my Global EQ to cut 63Hz and 8kHz almost completely out so it wasn't as noticeable until I reset the EQ then I really noticed it.

The Trainwreck sounds even better, but I've been working on a Vox preset that I was having trouble with the low end on and this cleared up most of the stuff I wasn't liking.

Don't overlook this update because it doesn't seem flashy; it's the best overall tone improvement I've noticed and it effects just about every amp model I'd imagine.

I'm curious what the modern metal guys think of firmware 11

Generally very impressed. I ungraded my Ultra last night and spent an hour today using my high gain tones. I primarily use the Recifier Orange model and the VH4 with Redwirez Mesa cab SM57 1 inch away from the cap, and there's quite a bit more fizz in the top end. Response is better and the low end is very much under control now. All in all, it NOW sounds perfectly lie the heads I know and love. It's much more precise than it was.

Back
Top Bottom