Quality of delays in AxeFX II?

paultanderberg

Inspired
So, I am a HUGE delay nut (have owned 3 DMM's, 2 Memory Lane 2's, a Timeline, etc) and am REALLY hoping that the AxeFX II steps up it's analog/tape delay quality. Not knocking the first AxeFX at all cuz it's flexibility allowed for round-about ways of getting tape-like delay sounds. I have a preset that can get close to tape delay sounds but in order to get dark, rich, analog delays I have to run my ML2 through my effects loop right now. I was just hoping the quality of the delays would be better/on par with the quality of a DMM or an actual tape delay without having to spend 4 hours and 5 blocks dialing it in. I'll even settle for sounding like an El Capistan as those sound amazing.

Have any of you beta testers gotten deep into the delays portion of the AxeFX II and can give us a feel for what delay quality to be expecting?

Delays have extreme flexibility now. I haven't compared the analog delays (may analog delay are being borrowed right now), but new new delay block sound fantastic as is SOOOO shapable. No one will accuse the Axe-fx effect of being too pristine now :)

So it is a huge step up for more vintage sounds w/o all the crazt routing. also self osc. delay is built-in. the is a master feedback setting that goes to 200% :)

Hey, I'm a delay nut and the delays in the II are absolutely great! With new style parameter you have analog delays mono and stereo, 2290 mono, stereo with mod and the dual, ping pong reverse and more, there is delay hold as well. The delays have character built in. ;0)
Yes there is a 2290 setting in the II. ;0)

Larry

Thank you larry I have ask this question many times but got no reply back till now. Now if someone can tell me how well the axe II can do the lexicon thing.

What about the delay modulation? I don't think anyone was able to accurately reproduce the modulation of the DMM (particularly in vibrato mode) on the Ultra or Standard. Has the II found a way to address that?

D

What is the "lexicon thing?"
From my standpoint: the PCM-70 Luke delays probably?
For those in the know, it was still being said the Axe came close, but the PCM-70 is "special."
For me it will be close enough, but anything better is Ultra cool :)

From my standpoint: the PCM-70 Luke delays probably?
For those in the know, it was still being said the Axe came close, but the PCM-70 is "special."
For me it will be close enough, but anything better is Ultra cool :)

Well the algorithm is different so it will sound a bit different but with the tone shaping tools added it out to be able to get closer. Regardlass the delay sounds great and w/ the built-in peq you can really shape the tone. You can now radically and easily shape the delay tone.

Its really got a really cool "Fractal thing" going :)

However, if you are talking about a circular delay that Luke uses. The multi-delay hasn't changed much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom