Purchased Patches

I have Austin Buddy’s presets, and they sound great. I have more of the same real amps than I should. But damn if Austin (and for that matter the Fractal and immediately extended gang) nail these amps. Moke has also helped me with particularly difficult signal chains, and they are crazy accurate. That reminds me, I was asked to send along a patch that models my Traynor YBA-1. I have one of the super early ones, with tube rectification. I’m back in the USA, so I’ll get that done.

I'm all about high gain. I honestly thought I'd be all about the Boogie Mark series amps on the Axe before I bought it but quite frankly my favorite for metal is the EVH amps and cabs, Marshall JVM, and the Recto. Not sure how buying anything would get me to a "net better"

Suggestion: Play a riff and record on a looper and then play it as you go through and select your cabs once you have an amp picked out. There's a metric fuck-ton of cab variations and eventually you're gonna hit one or a combination of them that blow you away. I'd spend hours doing this before I bought anyone's IRs (not that I wouldn't be open to suggestions, just this works for me). I'm also into panning different cabs leftt/right but I digress...

The other day I walked into a guitar store and they had a John Petrucci signature amp. Even though I have probably not listened to more than a few minutes of his music, I plugged a Sears Silvertone knockoff into the amp with any old default settings it was on and played John Petrucci better than John Petrucci. It was awesome. No adjustment for guitar, style, ability, nothing. Just the best John Petrucci you ever hear. Sold my Axe, demanded a refund from Austin Buddy and bought 10 of the amps. YMMV.
god i wish guitar stores nera me had mesa boogie amps

Would you pay somebody to tell you where to dial the knobs on an amp or pedal with their guitar and amplification in their room for you to use in yours? NO would be the answer, because it is utterly irrelevant to your rig and situation. This is the problem with the concept of preset patches in general. If you find any that you like it is pure coincidence. The ones that claim to sound like particular people or albums are totally misunderstanding guitar tone on such a fundamental level that you should not buy anything from somebody that would make such a claim. At best vendors should show a video or share a clip of a "good" tone and provide it as a sample that you can download and compare on your rig. If this sounds like the recording and you like it then this would be a reason to buy. Outside of this always make your own.

Would you pay somebody to tell you where to dial the knobs on an amp or pedal with their guitar and amplification in their room for you to use in yours? NO would be the answer, because it is utterly irrelevant to your rig and situation. This is the problem with the concept of preset patches in general. If you find any that you like it is pure coincidence. The ones that claim to sound like particular people or albums are totally misunderstanding guitar tone on such a fundamental level that you should not buy anything from somebody that would make such a claim. At best vendors should show a video or share a clip of a "good" tone and provide it as a sample that you can download and compare on your rig. If this sounds like the recording and you like it then this would be a reason to buy. Outside of this always make your own.
You are wrong all the line but you can have an opinion yes . That’s strange because most of the time, when they buy me one pack then they buy another some days after, and then sometimes all of them, and send me a message saying that’s they are great (got a lot of them) . They are probably assholes right? A well made patch is a well made patch man. If there is no abusing settings it will sound good whatever you do , except if you are not able to play guitar at all .

I’ve never take a single electrical guitar lesson,
so should I say that the ones taking guitar lessons are weaks ?
Guys are happy with their purchase packs, so let them buy what they want, and let the sellers does their business like they want it too. You are not obliged to buy them, but for many people that’s a time saver and gives them knowledge, tips etc …

You are wrong all the line but you can have an opinion yes . That’s strange because most of the time, when they buy me one pack then they buy another some days after, and then sometimes all of them, and send me a message saying that’s they are great (got a lot of them) . They are probably assholes right? A well made patch is a well made patch man. If there is no abusing settings it will sound good whatever you do , except if you are not able to play guitar at all .

I’ve never take a single electrical guitar lesson,
so should I say that the ones taking guitar lessons are weaks ?
Guys are happy with their purchase packs, so let them buy what they want, and let the sellers does their business like they want it too. You are not obliged to buy them, but for many people that’s a time saver and gives them knowledge, tips etc …
No you have missed the point as sellers selling smoke usually do. Patches without controls are a total lottery and like a lottery a waste of money for most people.

No you have missed the point as sellers selling smoke usually do. Patches without controls are a total lottery and like a lottery a waste of money for most people.
That’s your opinion, maybe some aren’t serious, but some are. It’s like saying that buying the « axe fx lessons course » is useless, factory presets are useless and this and that. Some people need it, some don’t … to me there is always something to learn by experimented people. Doing presets is a long work, that’s hours and hours of tests. Specially in the axe where you need to re-check everything at every firmware. So when you pay a preset for 0,5 💵 that’s not expensive compare to the amount of work behind them.

That’s your opinion, maybe some aren’t serious, but some are. It’s like saying that buying the « axe fx lessons course » is useless, factory presets are useless and this and that. Some people need it, some don’t … to me there is always something to learn by experimented people. Doing presets is a long work, that’s hours and hours of tests. Specially in the axe where you need to re-check everything at every firmware. So when you pay a preset for 0,5 💵 that’s not expensive compare to the amount of work behind them.
Some will be better than others but I stand by what I say. Nobody ever learned anything by paying someone else to do it usually badly.
Also if you are a vender shouldn't you say so?

A lot of this thread reads like The Gear Page, good lord.
Do some of you also beat up on scouts for helping people get across a busy street?

Some will be better than others but I stand by what I say. Nobody ever learned anything by paying someone else to do it usually badly.
Also if you are a vender shouldn't you say so?
Plenty of people will learn a lot from patches made by knowledgable people. I’m with you on preferring learning myself.

So I’d say that statement is wrong. HOWEVER you have to have in mind, you CAN learn without spending money. Just as I have and most users do.

Some people are just lazy I guess, but to say you learn nothing from patches? A little dramatic.

Other people’s presets (free or commercial) never worked for me, although some modulation or time-based block settings were absolute keepers, the core-sounds, especially the gainy ones, never sounded right with my set-up.

What did work for me however were the absolute wisdom gems shared by people like Cooper Carter, Leon Todd, Simeon, Moke or Yek. Remember, all the tools are at your disposal, dive in, dial away and pick up some valuable pointers here and there.

Think of other people’s presets like clothes that are tailor made for the vendor, but you might have to do some serious sowing and refitting to make them look good on you. And the people I mentioned above have made vids where they tell you how to thread a needle the right way… (Does this make any sense? If not, last call for this sob…)

Other people’s presets (free or commercial) never worked for me, although some modulation or time-based block settings were absolute keepers, the core-sounds, especially the gainy ones, never sounded right with my set-up.

What did work for me however were the absolute wisdom gems shared by people like Cooper Carter, Leon Todd, Simeon, Moke or Yek. Remember, all the tools are at your disposal, dive in, dial away and pick up some valuable pointers here and there.

Think of other people’s presets like clothes that are tailor made for the vendor, but you might have to do some serious sowing and refitting to make them look good on you. And the people I mentioned above have made vids where they tell you how to thread a needle the right way… (Does this make any sense? If not, last call for this sob…)
Agreed and this is basis of what I said above .

Yep, I can dial in my amps fine, It's the effects that will make me think "how did they do that?"

I have to wonder why this topic generates rhetoric that’s a little….warm.

I find significant value in AB’s LiveGold set because: (1) his ear for tone is better than mine, (2) tweaking a few hundred amps at volume is not my idea of fun…I just want to play, and (3) some amps require deep knowledge and a fine touch to get just right (Mesa Marks for example). I’m fully aware that somebody else’s work just provides a starting point and has to be nudged to match the playing environment. Still worth it.

I have purchased presets and would NEVER consider them garbage or a ripoff.
However I will state, fact is the only downloaded presets I USE are ones that were free. Not because they were free but because they worked for me after a bit of tweaking. Ian comes to mind, 2112 and quite a few others.

I have to wonder why this topic generates rhetoric that’s a little….warm.

I find significant value in AB’s LiveGold set because: (1) his ear for tone is better than mine, (2) tweaking a few hundred amps at volume is not my idea of fun…I just want to play, and (3) some amps require deep knowledge and a fine touch to get just right (Mesa Marks for example). I’m fully aware that somebody else’s work just provides a starting point and has to be nudged to match the playing environment. Still worth it.
I agree.....Some folks seem to have a built in animosity to folks selling presets and also those who buy them.
This is still America so people should do what they want. As I stated above I have purchased presets in the many years I have been here. do I use any of them? Nope! NOT 1.......So what do I know.
But as stated above, the presets people shared freely seem to work for me-3 of my main presets were freebies on this forum! Why, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom