Purchased Patches

I like @austinbuddy and @Moke’s presets. I also make my own. I have learned a lot from both of their works, and that was also worth it to me to reverse engineer some of the presets and settings they have used to learn more about this beast of infinite possibilities!
And a shout out to @Cooper Carter for his excellent master classes. I have the AXE II and AXE III classes. It’s probably time to go back the the AXE III class to continue on, after a couple of years, now!

I have owned and used an Axe-Fx for twelve years, including my recent FM9 purchase, and over the years I realized that I prefer spending time playing rather than experimenting with the units. I have purchased presets and also downloaded presets from Axe Change, but in almost all cases I have to tweak them to some degree to refine them to my liking. However, these purchases and downloads have saved me considerable time in getting me in the tone vicinity that I was seeking, thereby freeing more time to play.

Having presets available for purchase that have been developed by experts who have likely spent considerable time developing them is worth the investment to me if/when I think they suit my needs. Also, many of the noted artists that use the Axe Fx on their tours often rely on such experts like Cooper Carter, M@ or their techs to assist in the creation of their presets.
I fully agree. I'm in year 2 with the Fractal and have found I much prefer playing than creating tones.

Creating tones that sound great is a skill set. Playing guitar is a totally different and almost completely unrelated skill set. Some people here are clearly experts at both.

I read the manual before ordering, and again before it arrived. I envisioned myself spending countless hours a/b comparing different power amp settings, IRs, etc. . . nope. I quickly realized that I just want to play. Reading the manual allowed me to easily make small tweaks to the factory guitar sounds for my own environment, but I was still at a loss trying to create an amazing bass tone.

Then I found the Austin Buddy bass pack, and the included "Geddy" tone really sounded great in a rock band I play with. I used it exclusively for months. Lately I switched to the Darkglass preset for that group. I also joined a 10-piece Steely Dan cover band for which the Chuck Rainey scene in the Studio Giants preset does an amazing job. That preset also includes a Nathan East scene that delivers a phenomenal slap tone. Hours of building my own tone was replaced by low cost add-on that gave me the best sounds I've had in 36 years of playing, and let me focus on playing.

You've just become accustomed to a certain tone at home, but your ears can be 'retrained' or 'recalibrated'.

I was actually the opposite of you, most of my presets were overly bright starting out. Sounded great at home, but live were thin and piercing, it was very frustrating since they sounded so 'good' at home. I took some time and built a basic preset leaving everything at default settings and played for about 30 minutes. At the start, everything of course sounded darker and mids heavy but in the end I wound up really liking the tones I was getting.

I decided to edit some of my other presets to match the same darker, mid-heavy tone and the results were impressive. All of my presets sat in the mix just right and still sounded great at home. I kept that basic preset in the list and will compare it with my other presets from time to time to make sure I don't stray too far from it.
Yes, the old “reprogram the brain” trick.

I fully agree. I'm in year 2 with the Fractal and have found I much prefer playing than creating tones.

Creating tones that sound great is a skill set. Playing guitar is a totally different and almost completely unrelated skill set. Some people here are clearly experts at both.

I read the manual before ordering, and again before it arrived. I envisioned myself spending countless hours a/b comparing different power amp settings, IRs, etc. . . nope. I quickly realized that I just want to play. Reading the manual allowed me to easily make small tweaks to the factory guitar sounds for my own environment, but I was still at a loss trying to create an amazing bass tone.

Then I found the Austin Buddy bass pack, and the included "Geddy" tone really sounded great in a rock band I play with. I used it exclusively for months. Lately I switched to the Darkglass preset for that group. I also joined a 10-piece Steely Dan cover band for which the Chuck Rainey scene in the Studio Giants preset does an amazing job. That preset also includes a Nathan East scene that delivers a phenomenal slap tone. Hours of building my own tone was replaced by low cost add-on that gave me the best sounds I've had in 36 years of playing, and let me focus on playing.
You made my night writing this. I will show your comment to Scott Nelson tomorrow. Scott played bass while I dialed all those tones in. We are getting together tomorrow to see what we need to update in 200+ Bass under all the new firmware. With the updated/new Compressors in particular.

Stay tuned - and thank you so much for the complimentary words!

You made my night writing this. I will show your comment to Scott Nelson tomorrow. Scott played bass while I dialed all those tones in. We are getting together tomorrow to see what we need to update in 200+ Bass under all the new firmware. With the updated/new Compressors in particular.

I’m pretty much sold. Purchase coming

My pleasure - looking forward to the update, and I appreciate the ongoing commitment to keep these tones up to date with Fractals rapid development cycles.

FYI - hear your "Studio Giants" preset in action here - using "Josie" and "Nathan East" scenes:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...supertramp-covers-performed-with-band.194531/

I'm a tweaker, so I prefer to create my own patches but I purchased some packs early on, not to use them but to learn how others with more knowledge approach different sounds. Let's say they are just templates or ideas that I can use as starting points to craft my own sounds.

Back
Top Bottom