Progress?

Stonetone

Inspired
Just curious, seeing as I dont see any word or a peep on the FM 3 Update for the FM3 ?
I dont own a FM3, so was just curious as to the state of the firmware progress?

Cheers

There is not enough gapples switching, usb latency compensation and brit 2203, 5150 stealth amps. The rest is all great!

Things we know at the moment:
They're working on it.
The amp block updates are ported.
The spring reverb is/was causing headaches.

Things we know at the moment:
They're working on it.
The amp block updates are ported.
The spring reverb is/was causing headaches.
The problem to is you have 2 different models of the FM3 and one has 11% more CPU
So what if gapless and spring is running on that one but it takes it to the limit
You don’t have that 11% to play with on the OG
It’s a dilemma, you can’t or don’t really want to release features only exclusive to turbo BUT the reality is it has the advantage and extra wiggle room of 10% CPU which doesn’t seem like much maybe but when you are fighting to save 3 or 4% I bet it becomes a factor

The problem to is you have 2 different models of the FM3 and one has 11% more CPU
So what if gapless and spring is running on that one but it takes it to the limit
It’s a dilemma, you can’t or don’t really want to release features only exclusive to turbo BUT the reality is it has the advantage and extra wiggle room of 10% CPU which doesn’t seem like much maybe but when you are fighting to save 3 or 4% I bet it becomes a factor
I would be okay with a release for each version lol.
It would put extra work on the engineers unfortunately but why limit the most recent FM3?
Future sales of the current model would benefit from having the best possible design.

It would put extra work on the engineers unfortunately but why limit the most recent FM3?
Future sales of the current model would benefit from having the best possible design.
Do you own the turbo ?
Honest question what if you only had the OG would you feel the same way ?
Also I have no horse in the race I am an FM9 owner, but I am just playing devils advocate

Could it perhaps be made a switchable option in settings so the extra processing could be restored for those not bothered by gaps or needing a little extra?

I think you’re reading too much into this. Your FM3 is doing way more with its CPU than just amp modeling. If gapless switching does take a little extra CPU, that doesn’t mean it’s a deal killer. That just means that maybe you can’t have all seventeen blocks in that preset. :)

And with gapless, you wouldn’t need all those blocks in one preset anyway.

I think you’re reading too much into this. Your FM3 is doing way more with its CPU than just amp modeling. If gapless switching does take a little extra CPU, that doesn’t mean it’s a deal killer. That just means that maybe you can’t have all seventeen blocks in that preset. :)

And with gapless, you wouldn’t need all those blocks in one preset anyway.
I am an FM9 guy , but I agree 100% with spreading your sounds across several presets , if gapless becomes and option

I was thinking more about something like the spring verb but again as you mentioned if you can use your spring verb in a separate less busy preset
And not have to worry about gaps that does open a lot of doors

It would also needlessly segment the units.

Fractal's firmware targets the oldest version of the hardware in that model so it naturally runs on the newer/faster versions.

By the logic, it'd mean they have to maintain three versions for the FX3, three for the FM9 and two for the FM3. That's a LOT harder than only three. Remember, Fractal is a small company with developers who work their butts off, and who have set and maintained a standard of support and upgrades that no other company in the modeling work approaches.

Oh crap I accidentally revealed the top secret Fractal Space Program with the ultimate goal of putting the upcoming Axe-Fx IV on the moon before Neural gets there first.
Parks And Recreation Ive Said Too Much GIF

Back
Top Bottom