Prayers Requested

I'd see a proper doctor - preferably an orthopedic surgeon specializing in upper limb - and get it diagnosed properly, most likely with an MRI - instead of asking an unqualified group on the Internet.

First, it could be a rotator cuff tear. It could be all sorts of other conditions that can affect a shoulder joint - an inherently unstable joint.

Second - whoever told you that a Covid booster caused a frozen shoulder has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It may have given you a sore arm - the injection goes into the deltoid muscle which can get sore after the shot, but it doesn't go anywhere near the shoulder joint itself.

If you don't get a proper diagnosis and imaging, and it turns out to be something more than just an inflammatory "frozen shoulder", then you'll have way more trouble playing guitar for much longer than if you get it properly seen to now.

And yes, I am a medico - but I'm a Thoracic and Vascular Surgeon, NOT an orthopedic surgeon.
DR,
Thx; my post wasn't so much about asking for medical advice as it was commiserating. It's likely that the Voltaren (diclofenac) can help with the inflammatory pain. This was the same shoulder that experienced an anterior bicep tendon rupture back in 2007. The arm (near ball joint) humerus received a minor fracture and it took 7 weeks for the bone to heal. The orthopedist strongly suggested having rotator cuff surgery once the tendon ruptured 9 weeks after the original bone break...apparently some floating bone severed the tendon and voila...PopEye muscle! A year after the rupture, my workplace allowed me time away to undergo rotator cuff surgery, but that held for only 9 months following, then let go again.

My primary is currently using the "least invasive" approach currently which insurance will allow. My PT eval will be June 12th. Although it hurts when the arm is moved in extended directions (ceramic bowls to upper kitchen cabinets, putting socks on feet, etc.), the alternative could be far worse if the muscles weren't receiving some exercise/stretch.

My largest concern is that when undergoing PT for the left shoulder range of motion/strengthening home PT, it was very difficult keeping up with the exercise requirements. I guess I'll be occupied with PT for a while until the shoulder heals up, which could be 3/6/9 months...

Was sleeping on your shoulder the cause? Because I do that all the time.
Yup. Normally, my pref is sleeping on my back for proper spine alignment; this time my left shoulder was curled towards my chest with 2 pillows supporting.
Prayers sent.
My only advice is that you need to be exercising, stretching and moving some weights with that shoulder after the PT gets you moving again.
I'd ask about a cortisone shot. I had one a few years ago and it helped. The cinnamon seems easy enough to try. Couldn't hurt.
Once PT has conducted their eval, I'll ask about the cortisone. My supplements already include cinnamon bark capsules, so not sure if there would be an improvement either way.

Thankfully, I've got local family and friends for the larger projects (posting garden stakes and tomato cages with supportive stakes.). The downside was asking my boss for time away from work until PT begins or until my range of motion improves so my usual workplace responsibilities can be fulfilled. Will need to have a sit down chat with the boss to let him know when I'll be cleared to return to work.

Last edited:
Prayers and best wishes! PT can take time and effort to get through, but don't let up and you'll get through! Hopefully, your work will understand and be supportive, even with otherwise being short-handed. My wife's been going through PT for the last 6 months due to a knee replacement. Know it's not the same thing, but I know any kind of PT can be a long road. @Doc Rock had some great advice and don't forget you have friends here that will listen to and commiserate with you all along the way. 🙏

I use an inversion table daily for back pain. It also helps my neck, no more pinched nerves, and shoulder mobility just by letting my arms drop while upside down... something to think about when you're back in the saddle.

Well, with other's suggestions, I tried the Voltaren (diclofenac) gel on the outer shoulder and arm. And woke up this morning with considerably less pain than the previous two days. This may be the immediate route until PT, as Aleve doesn't offer as much overall and raises my BP. Will maintain this routine until my PT eval and then ask if any specific procedures might be required.

My boss, bless him, is a patient man. And I'll be thankful when he reinstates me to my previous part-time work schedule once recovery completes successfully.

No. Not safe at all. You probably just summoned Nurse Ratched from the seventh circle of Hell. 😱
Just my luck. NR likely has the weekend off from tormenting unmarried, intentionally single guys in hopes she can hook up with a guy with more experience. Tell you what, I'll politely decline the doorbell offer, give her carfare to the local bar, and tell her the bartender owes me a drink for the prank he nearly pulled last time. NR deserves better, and didn't earn the name without due cause. The arm feels 60% better than Friday. Will apply some Voltaren before bed and see what fresh heck awaits Sunday.

Hi, suffered an encapsulation of the right shoulder in 2017 (I was 50 by then) . I had sessions with a very good PT for about 12 sessions. After 4 weeks I regained an acceptable function of my shoulders, took 6 months before all traces disappeared. With a bit of luck you will suffer only one more month continuing working. BTW get a shoulder encapsulation over one night seems a bit weird though, sounds more like a kind of dislocation otr tendinitis somehow.

Hi, suffered an encapsulation of the right shoulder in 2017 (I was 50 by then) . I had sessions with a very good PT for about 12 sessions. After 4 weeks I regained an acceptable function of my shoulders, took 6 months before all traces disappeared. With a bit of luck you will suffer only one more month continuing working. BTW get a shoulder encapsulation over one night seems a bit weird though, sounds more like a kind of dislocation otr tendinitis somehow.
Although the doctor didn't know the cause of the encapsulation, she did suggest that a week's time of ensuring mobility and stretching would go a long way towards healing sooner. Regards work, my boss said to let him know once my primary has cleared me for work. It may be two weeks from today. TBH, I seriously need to be up on my feet and moving at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours, or my weight gets out of hand.

If the PT can restore my range of motion in my shoulders, it will be possible to head back to the fitness center and utilize some of the shoulder/back machines. The gym trainer sent me to PT some years ago to restore my shoulders so she could work with me...and after 10 weeks of failed progress, insurance wouldn't cover the treatments, and my hopes for a stronger toned physique didn't happen.

All this tells me is that the PT exercises need to be more targeted with less time spent. TBH, I felt like I was being strung along until they cut me loose...neither results of restored shoulders nor toned physique occurred. Also because I needed to find time to do the home PT; I was neither too tired from work or spent from sitting in front of a computer screen.

Shoulder feels like it's loosened up some, but holding the arm in front of me for touch-screen use may complicate the pain issues. Will try some wall-climbing stretches this evening and see if the pain fades somewhat...

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that PT is better when it's more targeted. My wife's on her third PT in the last 6 months, mostly because they weren't doing her any good. She finally found someone who did more targeted exercises that are more focused on her individual situation and how she's coming along in her recovery and is finally making some progress. Keep after them to do the things that you think will help and that you know are helping and you'll hopefully have better results this time.

Any way you could rig something up to rest your arm on while using that touch screen? Not sure if a sling or brace might help there, but I know what you mean.

Still sending prayers!!

Although the doctor didn't know the cause of the encapsulation, she did suggest that a week's time of ensuring mobility and stretching would go a long way towards healing sooner. Regards work, my boss said to let him know once my PCP has cleared me for work. It may be two weeks from today. TBH, I seriously need to be up on my feet and moving at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours, or my weight gets out of hand.

If the PT can restore my range of motion in my shoulders, it will be possible to head back to the fitness center and utilize some of the shoulder/back machines. The gym trainer sent me to PT some years ago to restore my shoulders so she could work with me...and after 10 weeks of failed progress, insurance wouldn't cover the treatments, and my hopes for a stronger toned physique didn't happen.

All this tells me is that the PT exercises need to be more targeted with less time spent. TBH, I felt like I was being strung along until they cut me loose...neither results of restored shoulders nor toned physique occurred. Also because I needed to find time to do the home PT; I was neither too tired from work or spent from sitting in front of a computer screen.

Shoulder feels like it's loosened up some, but holding the arm in front of me for touch-screen use may complicate the pain issues. Will try some wall-climbing stretches this evening and see if the pain fades somewhat...
If the touchscreen is a problem, can you use a mouse or trackball instead?

The Massage Therapist I was working with at the time did a far better job than the meatheaded gym rat PT guy did with mine. I got the shot and was sent to PT. All the PT guy did was aggravate it more. One-size-fits-all exercises with patient-blaming somehow didn't help my shoulder.

My MT's stretching assistance and poking/prodding at the joint in certain strategic places while he was stretching my arm in various directions improved it with each session, after the shot I'd got from the doctor....

Hopefully you get quick relief....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom