Poweramps for Axe Fx (Rocktron, Marshall, ART, Behringer)

Hi,

For the Axe Fx im still looking for a power amp … could you please tell me your opinions of the ones below – also in regards to possible fan noises

Please also let me know other solution in the same price range

1. Rocktron Velocity 100 (or 300)
2. Marshall 8008
3. ART SLA-1 (or 2)
4. Behringer A500

thanks

The Rocktron is a decent little power amp, fan is a bit noisy for home use but a decent sound. Just not loud enough by a long chalk for rehearsing/gigs. I also have the Behringer. designed to be a reference amp, no fans, again would get you by for home use but on stage it's roadworthyness would come into question. I've used mine maybe 3 times which tells you how impressed I was! The Marshall I've heard colours the sound too much and the pick(s) of the bunch seem to be th ART's which many people use with no complaints.
Hope that helps!

Lightningboy,

You should change your autograph. :lol

Your Stuart went up in smoke and you have a Matrix XT-800.

Greetings

Someone's selling an SLA-II in the for sale section for $200 shipped. You should ask them about it and why they're selling it. It'd be a good way to get info from someone who owned one and is selling it for whatever reason.

thanks for your answers so far ....

ive also heard that the rocktrons have some noise issues ... for the 8008 someone told me that u dont should use this valve sound switch on the back which could cause that the sound will be changed

a 4x12 Marshall

Sweet, I have a velocity 300 and it is more then enough power for a 4x12, before I went FRFR I used it to power my marshall 4x12 and it was insanely loud if I needed it, and I never had a problem with it being noisy. I really liked it for that use for sure

I have an ART SLA2 and a two Marshall 8008's (I should probably sell one), so I can give you a quick opinion on these.

The ART is significantly louder than the Marshall.
As stated by others, the Marshall does color the tone a bit...but I actually like it. It's a bit 'spongier' than the ART, and adds a little bit of Marshall grit to the tone.
I like Marshall tone, so that's not a bad thing in my eyes....but the ART is a cleaner, more neutral amp.

I've used the 8008 to power a 4x12 in the past and I was always wishing it had a little more head room. (wished it could be bridged Mono as well)
ART has plenty of head room.

Any more questions on those amps...just ask.

I have an ART SLA2 and a two Marshall 8008's (I should probably sell one), so I can give you a quick opinion on these.

The ART is significantly louder than the Marshall.
As stated by others, the Marshall does color the tone a bit...but I actually like it. It's a bit 'spongier' than the ART, and adds a little bit of Marshall grit to the tone.
I like Marshall tone, so that's not a bad thing in my eyes....but the ART is a cleaner, more neutral amp.

I've used the 8008 to power a 4x12 in the past and I was always wishing it had a little more head room. (wished it could be bridged Mono as well)
ART has plenty of head room.

Any more questions on those amps...just ask.

thanks for the information .... regarding the "marshall tone" of the 8008, whats the difference when switching from LINEAR to VALVESTATE ?

Stewart World 1.2

has no fan and it has no unwanted bass distortion

sounds good, but out of my price range ...

as i could get a used ART SLA1 .. what about this one in use with the axe ?

I have yet to pull it out of the closet, but I was actually considering using my Perfect Connection SP-1000 as the power amp. Not sure how it will sound, but figured I would experiment with it. That is always another cheap option if you can grab one. 100W per side.

On the 8008, the difference between Linear and Valvestate is not huge in my opinion.
Valvestate is a little more spongy, and Linear is just a little less tube-ish.
When playing it with the Axe, adding the tube-simulation in Valvestate mode was just a bit more pleasing, so I left it in that mode.

I say this in all my posts when giving opinions of gear I own.....if you live near Boston, you're welcome to try out my SLA and 8008.

The problem with the Stewart 600 and 1.2 is that after reading lots of reviews on them;
It's very light, takes up only one rack space, and can produce lot power bridged BUT... It overheats and shuts down.
They say 1 Rack space but it is a bit misleading, in the manual they clearly say that it should have a rack space open above
so maybe this would solve the problem but... why make it 1U then!?

Back
Top Bottom