power amp bias - an observation and 15.02

simeon

Axe-Master
i've been struggling with this new firmware a bit. cleans are great....dynamics are great...harmonic leaping (swirl) is fantastic, but amps like the plexi and the triptik have been sounding overly middly and a bit fuzzy to me. i had a look at the new power amp bias param in the amp block and saw that it was set to -0.100 for both of those amps. i changed it to +0.100 and felt a definite improvement. the fuzziness i was experiencing seemed to go away.

the other thing that's bothering me slightly is the lack of "shinyness" of the top end. this firmware is definitely more "raw" sounding and probably more authentic, but it also sounds more lo-fi to me and less broad. the thump seems to have been lost and the very top end sounds flat, which is making everything sound more focused in the midrange. i'm not complaining, mind you, 16 will probably sound different again, but i think this is the first firmware since version 5.something that i haven't immediately liked right off the bat.

I checked and my 59 Bassman was -.100. I've set them both (it and plexi) to +.100, I'll see if I can tell a difference.

*edit* After trying it out I went back to -.100.

Last edited:
It's funny how our ears can lead us all to such varying conclusions. When I upgraded to 15 and started messing around with my usual go-to amps, I found there was an increase in the clarity and realism of the high end. Many of the amps were more fizzy, but it sounded more realistic and organic. I found I actually preferred this increase in crackle and fizz. 'Real' has not yet been a bad thing for me, the amps seem to be growing more and more alive with each update.

I'll ask just in case, but has there also been a change in the impulses you're using? Or perhaps you're using the low-rez ones still? Maybe you're better able to hear the shortcomings of those now that the Axe Fx has improved in clarity and realism. For example, try playing a PlayStation 1 game on your PS3 through an HD TV. "Pixels! Pixels everywhere! Now I can see with 'clarity and definition' how crappy this game's graphics are!" Maybe you're experiencing the same thing.

Seriously though, after all these years I keep coming back to Spyro the Dragon.

no, i don't want to go back. i think this firmware is a big improvement in many ways. there's more clarity and note separation, more dynamics, better feel. i'm not complaining. just making an observation. i had a high pass filter in a lot of my presets, removing everything below about 90hz. i've taken those out now and the bottom end is fuller without being boomy, like it was in earlier firmwares. moving the power amp bias sounds nicer (to me). i'll play with presence a bit more, as higher values sound good now. don't shoot me down for expressing an opinion, please.

no, i don't want to go back. i think this firmware is a big improvement in many ways. there's more clarity and note separation, more dynamics, better feel. i'm not complaining. just making an observation. i had a high pass filter in a lot of my presets, removing everything below about 90hz. i've taken those out now and the bottom end is fuller without being boomy, like it was in earlier firmwares. moving the power amp bias sounds nicer (to me). i'll play with presence a bit more, as higher values sound good now. don't shoot me down for expressing an opinion, please.

+1 Trigger fingers can be a bit quick at times!

1987X Jump = PWR Amp Bias = - 0.100
1987X Jump = PWR Amp Bias = 0.50
1987X Jump = PWR Amp Bias = 0.50

is it normal?

i've been struggling with this new firmware a bit. cleans are great....dynamics are great...harmonic leaping (swirl) is fantastic, but amps like the plexi and the triptik have been sounding overly middly and a bit fuzzy to me. i had a look at the new power amp bias param in the amp block and saw that it was set to -0.100 for both of those amps. i changed it to +0.100 and felt a definite improvement. the fuzziness i was experiencing seemed to go away.

the other thing that's bothering me slightly is the lack of "shinyness" of the top end. this firmware is definitely more "raw" sounding and probably more authentic, but it also sounds more lo-fi to me and less broad. the thump seems to have been lost and the very top end sounds flat, which is making everything sound more focused in the midrange. i'm not complaining, mind you, 16 will probably sound different again, but i think this is the first firmware since version 5.something that i haven't immediately liked right off the bat.

You sure that should be the Pre Amp bias?

The Power Amp bias can't go to your settings.

Back
Top Bottom