Potentially stupid Tuner question ahead...

jmpatrick63

Inspired
Searched to no avail...

I'm tuning my guitar a step flat so I can bring the metal. How do I adjust the Tuner so that the E string displays as the E string and still be a step flat?

Searched to no avail...

I'm tuning my guitar a step flat so I can bring the metal. How do I adjust the Tuner so that the E string displays as the E string and still be a step flat?

I understand the reasoning, but also advise against it. I also advise against a restaurant changing the terminology of drink sizes from small, medium, large, to medium, large, and extra large.

Let the string letters remain the same and tolerate the b-flat symbol next to each.

If you did change the tuner reference, and then wanted to tune to standard pitch, you'd be looking at F, Bb, D#, G#, C, and F, on the display, and that would mess with your mind.

I understand the reasoning, but also advise against it. I also advise against a restaurant changing the terminology of drink sizes from small, medium, large, to medium, large, and extra large.

Let the string letters remain the same and tolerate the b-flat symbol next to each.

If you did change the tuner reference, and then wanted to tune to standard pitch, you'd be looking at F, Bb, D#, G#, C, and F, on the display, and that would mess with your mind.

I was going to say the same thing. And it'll save any sort of nightmare if any other band member ever plugs into it really quick to tune up with out you knowing.

Searched to no avail...

I think you would set your tuning reference to 415Hz (instead of 440HZ) on a tuner that can do that. However, the Axe tuner only goes down to 430Hz.
I would suggest you use the 1/2 step down tunings as referenced by rodzimguitar68 above.

Yeh - E is a note not a string. Tuning a step down and your low string is not longer E its D.

If your tuning a step down your tuning to DGCFAD, so thats what the tuner should display.

It is a minor thing because you can just ignore the 'b'. But I understand what you are asking. Many tuners like the Boss TU-2 or TU-3 have the guitar flat or double flat option especially designed for these purposes. This will display E instead of of Eb when you tune to Eb. Exactly what you are asking. Not possible on the Axe II.

Here's a tip:
Learn Alto Sax

It's an Eb instrument... probably the hardest instrument to transpose...

Learn that- and transposition ---then tuning down a whole step will be much easier

It shouldn't unless there's a nut/fret issue. If you tuned the open strings instead, would you expect 2nd fret notes to be incredibly out of tune?

Yes, if you tune to an A chord, your D will be out of tune. Unless he has buzz feiten, earvana, or even true tempermant, there will probably be tuning issues.

Have a sticky note on the Axe with the tunings. I do that for C tuning. E is a note not a string.

Yes, if you tune to an A chord, your D will be out of tune. Unless he has buzz feiten, earvana, or even true tempermant, there will probably be tuning issues.

I think you might be confusing getting pure intervals for 1 chord by ear (which will make other forms more out of tune) with tuning at another fret via tuner.

I think you might be confusing getting pure intervals for 1 chord by ear (which will make other forms more out of tune) with tuning at another fret via tuner.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just talking about tuning issues due to the natural tempermant of a guitar. If your guitar is setup and intonated properly, and you tune the open strings, then check the first several frets, it will not be perfectly in tune. So if you tune to the fretted notes, then when you go back to open, it will be out, and then affecting the tuning of the rest of the guitar.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just talking about tuning issues due to the natural tempermant of a guitar. If your guitar is setup and intonated properly, and you tune the open strings, then check the first several frets, it will not be perfectly in tune. So if you tune to the fretted notes, then when you go back to open, it will be out, and then affecting the tuning of the rest of the guitar.

Not out by much with a properly slotted nut (not too high) IME. In other words, the issue BF/Earvana/others cite (lowest frets sharp) isn't always as bad as they might make it sound.

Back
Top Bottom