Post Your Rig!

here's mine... added a rocktron hex (not pictured).

3004044138_4c9299cd04_b.jpg
WOW, THAT'S REALLY NICE!!

Here's my studio setup...(yes, I'm aware it's a mess...I was just putting the new AXE 2 and Redco panel in!!!)

IMG_1514.jpg

Left side of new REDCO patch panel...bringing all the AXE2 connections to the front, just above the main patchbay...

IMG_1509.jpg

Right side...

IMG_1512.jpg

Full view of just the rack...

IMG_1507.jpg

WOW!!, where did you get the Midi in/out connectors from?? it's totally sick!!

RodNewBoard1.jpg Line 6 wireless, into 1 Lehle P-Split with 2 split outputs. One going to the second P-Split and one going to my AX8 input. The second P-Split sends the guitar signal to the Boss SY-300 Synth, and the iRig Stomp which is connected to my iPad mini running JamUp Pro and Bias FX.
The stereo out from the AX8, Boss SY-300, and the iRig/iPad mini goes into 3 stereo inputs of the Lehle 3at1 which switches between the 3 effects units. The Lehle 3at1 Has 2 stereo outputs, 1 goes into a Boss RC-3 Loop Station and out to my dual stereo power amp and 2-12 stereo cab, the other stereo out goes to either the mains, sidefills, or monitors. This setup allows me to switch between all three effect units instantly in real time with no signal delay. All 3 units are running hot into the Lehle 3at1 where they are selected. I am using a Roland EV-5 expression pedal into the AX8.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I found this cool right angle adjustable xlr for the fastlink connection image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg My latest rig, I've only had it for 2 weeks, it's a work in progress.

Guitars
1. 2010 les Paul studio
2. LTD SC-607B
3. 1995 Fender Jag-Stang

Rig
Furman power conditioner
Matrix GT800FX
AXE FX II XL+
Mesa recto cab 4x12

MFC101
Ernie Ball VPjr (controls a volume block)
Mission sp1 ( engages and controls WHA)
Moog expression p (controls different parameters on different FX blocks)

So, this isn't the whole rig, but we just got our main rack module upgraded, and I simply can't wait to share. ;)

This is the new center of our rig, which functions as a:

1) Wireless for two guitars (our bass player has a GLXD16 system, so the receiver is on his pedalboard)
2) Transmitters for IEMs for four band members (our drummer uses a separate system as he plays in multiple bands)
3) Furman power conditioner inside the unit that feeds two Axe FXs and a computer. Has extra power for more.
4) MIDI interface for controlling outboard gear and recording drums with triggers
5) Recording interface capable of recording the whole 5-piece band multitracks
6) Playback interface for backing tracks, if any
7) Mixer with 16 inputs (10 of which have mic preamps) and 10 outputs (actually, there are three more outputs and one more input available inside, there's just no space to put them on patch panels). The output count is what's available in addition to sends used inside for wireless.
8) An effects loop for outboard gear (I use it to process vocals with Axe FX).

The unit serves as a monitor mixer mainly, but can also work as a main mixer, the MOTU card has a very flexible matrix routing setup, so all mixes can be independent, it can have up to 14 Aux sends and 8 groups (half that if stereo).

In addition to analog I/O, it also has AVB networking, so with an additional interface on the FOH side it can send everything in both directions via a single Ethernet cable. Some digital mixers, like Avid S3L and Presonus support AVB natively, so it can be plugged there directly, I think. AVB supports hundreds of channels with virtually zero latency. And it allows expansion, so it's easy to add inputs and outputs with a digital snake or additional cards if needed.

And all of that in a space of a single X32!

Everything can be controlled via Wi-Fi, of course, using any device that has a browser, no iPad-only stupidity. Windows, Mac, Android, Windows Phone, everything works. And everyone has access to their monitor mixes, of course.

In addition to this, we have two Axe FXs for two guitars and bass. But you've seen pictures of Axe FXs already. :)

WP_20160928_20_27_58_Rich.jpg WP_20160928_20_28_19_Rich.jpg

So, this isn't the whole rig, but we just got our main rack module upgraded, and I simply can't wait to share. ;)

1) Wireless for two guitars (our bass player has a GLXD16 system, so the receiver is on his pedalboard)
2) Transmitters for IEMs for four band members (our drummer uses a separate system as he plays in multiple bands)
3) Furman power conditioner inside the unit that feeds two Axe FXs and a computer. Has extra power for more.
4) MIDI interface for controlling outboard gear and recording drums with triggers
7) Mixer with 16 inputs (10 of which have mic preamps) and 10 outputs (actually, there are three more outputs and one more input available inside, there's just no space to put them on patch panels). The output count is what's available in addition to sends used inside for wireless.

The unit serves as a monitor mixer mainly, but can also work as a main mixer, the MOTU card has a very flexible matrix routing setup, so all mixes can be independent, it can have up to 14 Aux sends and 8 groups (half that if stereo).

In addition to analog I/O, it also has AVB networking, so with an additional interface on the FOH side it can send everything in both directions via a single Ethernet cable. Some digital mixers, like Avid S3L and Presonus support AVB natively, so it can be plugged there directly, I think. AVB supports hundreds of channels with virtually zero latency. And it allows expansion, so it's easy to add inputs and outputs with a digital snake or additional cards if needed.

Everything can be controlled via Wi-Fi, of course, using any device that has a browser, no iPad-only stupidity. Windows, Mac, Android, Windows Phone, everything works. And everyone has access to their monitor mixes, of course.

In addition to this, we have two Axe FXs for two guitars and bass. But you've seen pictures of Axe FXs already. :)

View attachment 35280 View attachment 35281
This brings tears to my eyes it's so frickin clean and perfect......

Here is my humble setup. So far I am enjoying the Matrix GT1000 with my Port City 1x12 cabs. I am experimenting with a wet dry setup which sounds nice.

Attachments

• IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 135
Hey, 79: what are the pedals on the board besides the Drop pedal?

Here is a better pic. The reverb is a Specular reverb. Sounds more natural to my ears than my Strymon Big Sky. It has 4 presets which is plenty.

The SPPS-3000 is a clone of the Korg SDD preamp. This thing is fantastic and just pushes the input better. I never could get good results out of the Axe FX SDD drive block compared to this pedal. I also had a Triad SDD clone but swapped it for this due to the smaller footprint.

Attachments

• IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 99

View attachment 35280 View attachment 35281

I love the new Motu stuff sounds awesome. What rack case is that? I am looking for a similar one that isn't as heavy as the shock mount cases etc.. Thanks

I love the new Motu stuff sounds awesome.

Yes, it's good. I was a bit hesitant for a while, but I'm pretty happy about this purchase. Has some rough edges, but great overall. It's also insanely fast in terms of latency - goes under 4ms over USB 2 at 48 kHz, 64 samples, ASIO on Windows. If you computer can handle this, it's close to big console speeds. Should be even faster over Thunderbolt and way faster over AVB.

What rack case is that? I am looking for a similar one that isn't as heavy as the shock mount cases etc.. Thanks

That's a custom case made for me by my specs (with all connections and equipment ordering) in St. Petersburg, Russia, so it won't help you much. Although if you're really interested I can ask them if they are willing to ship to the US :) The case is made from some high tech plastic, which is 4 mm thick, has some layers/cells/inside the sandwich structure, and the whole case weighs under 2 kilograms. The plastic maker claims it is flight worthy, but the guys who made the case say they don't recommend checking it in. :) There's also 6mm version, which they say is very heavy duty and tested in real tours. A bit heavier, of course. I don't fly with it, so I don't care. I'm thinking that for some heavier duty I might make a few modules like this one for Axe FXs and stuff, and ask them to make me a shock mount case where these would just slide in and get fixed in a single bigger rack. But I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:
Yes, it's good. I was a bit hesitant for a while, but I'm pretty happy about this purchase. Has some rough edges, but great overall. It's also insanely fast in terms of latency - goes under 4ms over USB 2 at 48 kHz, 64 samples, ASIO on Windows. If you computer can handle this, it's close to big console speeds. Should be even faster over Thunderbolt and way faster over AVB.

That's a custom case made for me by my specs (with all connections and equipment ordering) in St. Petersburg, Russia, so it won't help you much. Although if you're really interested I can ask them if they are willing to ship to the US :) The case is made from some high tech plastic, which is 4 mm thick, has some layers/cells/inside the sandwich structure, and the whole case weighs under 2 kilograms. The plastic maker claims it is flight worthy, but the guys who made the case say they don't recommend checking it in. :) There's also 6mm version, which they say is very heavy duty and tested in real tours. A bit heavier, of course. I don't fly with it, so I don't care. I'm thinking that for some heavier duty I might make a few modules like this one for Axe FXs and stuff, and ask them to make me a shock mount case where these would just slide in and get fixed in a single bigger rack. But I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for the information. I am a little hesitant about the Motu stuff too, but the speed is certainly a selling point.
Should work great with my, quad core/16mb ram, Dell Laptop. I am broken as hell and psyched there is a possibility
I can get out and jam again. I am trading my old rack gear for an Ultra, which should pacify me for now. Looking forward
to getting a fractal unit, Finally! Say, do you guys think I can get the Ultra close to the Axe- II? I have ran every other unit
there is, aside from an axe-fx. So, the tweak factor is not an issue.

Pedal Board
IMG_20161102_200103.jpg

The heart of my board is the top right patch bay I built. It's main function is to rout all signals going in, through and out of the board, to be the one place where all cable connections are made, including the FASlink. It has a selectable input between regular cable and a Line6 Relay G30 wireless unit. The patch bay also acts as a splitter via an internal AMZ buffered splitter. The original idea was to split the signal into main guitar signal going into the board and another signal going into a volume pedal into a Line6 Verbzilla to create a separate shimmer output. But after experimenting with the shimmer in my Axe I've decided not to use that separate route any more and that output is now vacant. Could be used for a separate amp input in case I ever want to experiment with wet/dry though.

Main guitar signal goes into the board and into the red 2 loop switcher next to the polytune. An old unit I rehoused years ago built by a (then) local guy who frequents a lot of tech boards under the name Bernaduur. He used to troubleshoot a lot of my builds back then as well. Loop 1 of the looper has the Boss DD-7 which I use for looping. At first to troubleshoot my rig, and then to test out sounds with the Axe without having to play guitar all the time. Loop 2 has the Boss DF-2 into the Digitech WH-1. I use my Axe for most Whammy things, but there are some things the Axe can't do (yet) that the WH-1 can. The DF-2 is not used for dirt, just to provide a constant feedback signal. From the looper the signal goes back to the patch bay, into a THcustoms relay bypass switch, which serves as a tuner out with mute. Tuner out goes into the TC Polytune. From the relay bypass switch the signal finally leaves the board and goes to my Axe. Everything is powered by a Voodoolab Pedal Power Pro 2 mounted underneath the Pedal Train frame.

Switching on the MFC is done via a standard method. Switches 1-5 do presets, swtiches 6-9 do scenes 1-4, swiches 11-14 do scenes 5-8, switch 10 does scene down, switch 15 does scene up, switch 16 activates the Axe tuner and mutes everything and switch 17 does tempo. Two Roland EV-5's are used as expressionpedals 2 and 1 from left to right, to follow standard old pedal chain orders.

Keyboard
IMG_20161102_200141_1.jpg

A Yamaha CS-2 keyboard that I got in 2012 when I was still in a Radiohead tribute band, still programmed with the old RH patches. I mostly use piano anyway. Stereo signal goes into a Line6 DL-4 for added delay fun. Stereo delay, reverse delay and sweep echo are my programmed sounds. The keyboard also doubles as storage space for my picks, bottle neck and capo.

The Rack
IMG_20161228_195424.jpg

Top Shelf
IMG_20161228_195450.jpg

Bottom row has a Korg Kaosspad 3 and a Korg Kaossilator. Top row has a Kenton wireless MIDI receiver sending MIDI input into the Kaossilator and Kaosspad. Then a Line6 M5, which sits inside the Axe's FX sent/return loop to give me a few coveted sounds that the Axe can't do (yet). Top right is another Line6 wireless receiver, in this case the Relay G50. Which I will probably patch through to the pedal board as this is a superior unit to the G30.

19" rack
IMG_20161228_195439.jpg

From top to bottom:
- Behringer Ultralink splitter mixer
- Samson Powerbrite power conditioner
- Axe-FX2 XL+, you know what this does
- Self made 1U plate with all my connections up front
- Matrix GT1000 power amp
- Self made 3 channel signal buffered splitter/cab simulator with balanced outputs, from now on called cab simulator.

I use the Behringer to mix the outputs from the Kaosspad3, Kaossilator and my keyboard into 2 balanced outputs. This to reduce the number of channels on our channel list.

The Samson is basically a gloried powerstrip that provides power to everything and I get to switch on or off at the front, instead of having to reach in the back of my rack. I'm really big on not having to grope in the back of my rack, especially on dark stages. Never a good thing in my book.

You all know what the Axe-FX does. I use the balanced outputs of the Axe to go straight into the FOH mixer if there is one, and the unbalanced outputs for speakers with the Matrix poweramp.

The Matrix is my most recent addition. Previously I used a Marshall 8008 valvestate poweramp but the Matrix is both 5 kilos lighter, plus it really does work very well with modeling preamps. With the Marshall cab sims sounded like shit so I had to use separate patches without cab sims. Those however sound crap on the Matrix so I get to use my cab sim patches instead. Did I also mention that its 5 kilos lighter? :)

The Cab Simulator that I build was part of my old setup when I used my old pre-Axe FX pedal board. I was heavy into AMT preamp pedals so I didn't really need a traditional amp, just a power amp. The idea was to have a unit where I could plug my pedal board in, stereo of course, and then split the signal. One path would go into the old Marshall poweramp and then into speakers, the other path would go into an analog cab simulator circuit, I used the one from the Marshall JMP-1, and then get converted into balanced signal so I could also send signal straight into a FOH mixer using XLR outputs. I created three channels, two for the pedal board, one for additional shimmer. I also planned for future use by having 2 inputs on each channel, up the front for the pedal board outputs, and in the back for future Axe use. The inputs could be selected via switch with a bicolored LED showing which input would be in use. Red for front, green in the back. The unbalanced outputs of the Axe go in there, so green is currently showing. Speaker outputs would also be in the back and 2 currently go into the back. If no input is used, as is in the left channel, then the bicolored LED cannot light up. Complicated? Probably, but at least it makes sense for me.

As I said I HATE groping in the back of racks for connections. I see a lot of you guys go this way, but I would go insane having to fumble with flashlights to see which jack goes into which input. So I used a 1U plate to have all my connections up front. From right to left:
- Powercon connector to provide power to the Samson
- XLR connector for the FASlink cable between the Axe and the MFC101
- Two jack inputs for my keyboard that go to the Behringer mixer
- USB connector for the Axe-FX. Why this is in the back of the Axe is a complete mystery, as it would be a nightmare to quickly do some editing on a badly lit stage. Which they almost always are if you really need to do this. Bad design if you ask me. Fractal, if you're ever going to do an Axe FX3, have this connection also up the front.
- Four XLR outputs. 2 for the Axe FX, 2 for the Behringer mixer
- Two jack outputs from the Matrix poweramp.
As it is one of the last additions I could probably use one more jack connector, for the Relay G50 going to the pedal board. But I'll doubt there's any room left.

IMG_20161102_231056.jpg

These were just speakers that I used in the rehearsal room that we rented. I used the two Marshall cabs. The right one, a JCM900 1960, sounds a little better and louder then the left one, a JCM800 1960. So I had to compensate for it by turning that channel up a little more on the poweramp. We rented the room in a local youth center which has now been closed thanks to government cuts. Unfortunately I was too late to bag the two Marshall cabs for future use. Mostly for rehearsal in the new rehearsal room as I don't plan on using cabs for live purposes, the idea is to go straight into the FOH mixer at all times, and if there's a local cab for me to use to only use it for feedback. Live I use In-Ear so no need for me to use anything for stage sound.

Back
Top Bottom