Bug? Possible bug since fw18.07 (scooped sound with Recto)

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
About a week ago I re-amped a couple of tracks for my band with my main Recto 1 red modern preset that uses an Ownhammer IR.
Since there was a fix in the cab block with fw18.07 I thought I'd re-amp everything again to see if there was a difference.
With some sounds the difference was very small but when I started to re-amp tracks with my main rhythm patch I noticed that there was quite a dramatic difference between the tones even though it was the same patch.
The main difference was that the 'new' tone with FW18.07 had a kind of scooped sound, a big dip somewhere in the 400/500k area mainly, a kind of hollow sound.
This was strange so I did a system reset.... didn't help.
Selecting another amp didn't seem to help so I decided to rebuild the patch from scratch with approximately the same settings (some controls were maybe .01 to .10 off but very minor differences) and voila, the old sound with the old mids was back.

So I saved the new version over the old patch.
Then it became even stranger.
When I loaded the new tweaked patch it had the same issues as the older one before I re-did it, so also the scooped mids.
Once again rebuilding the patch helped.

I use axe edit for all these tones.
Axe Edit did a refresh after I loaded fw18.07.
My patch uses the Recto 1 red modern with no fancy tweakage going on.
The IR that I used is OH 412 ENG V30-MB-08 RMDR 03.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the cab block or amp.

I uploaded the patch here but it may be hard to recreate the issue because of all the different variables because not every preset had the same issues.
Just thought I'd drop a note here anyways.

Attachments

• Raptor Recto ENGL MB-08.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Exactly the same things here, with a Recto 2 Mod Red.
When i start the Axe, the tone is scooped, if i select a preset with Uber (i don't know if there is a relation) and return to the Recto, the sound is good until I turn off/on the Axe.
I share the preset with friends, it stay scooped for them.

I try your preset but i can't say if it is scooped or not, your settings are very different of mine, sorry.

When i start the Axe, the tone is scooped, if i select a preset with Uber (i don't know if there is a relation) and return to the Recto, the sound is good until I turn off/on the Axe.

I try your preset but i can't say if it is scooped or not, your settings are very different of mine, sorry.

Yup, sounds like the same issue to me....

Can you post your preset please?

I cannot replicate this with either of those presets. Sorry. Until you can give me an exact, detailed sequence of events to replicate it I won't be able to "fix" it.

It's strange because now I can't even replicate it.
It has happened multiple times last weekend.
If it happens again I'll be sure to report here.

About a week ago I re-amped a couple of tracks for my band with my main Recto 1 red modern preset that uses an Ownhammer IR.
Since there was a fix in the cab block with fw18.07 I thought I'd re-amp everything again to see if there was a difference.
With some sounds the difference was very small but when I started to re-amp tracks with my main rhythm patch I noticed that there was quite a dramatic difference between the tones even though it was the same patch.

1. Did you make a monumental firmware leap when you installed 18.07? In other words, what firmware were you using, that sounded good, before you upgraded?
2. I'll duck, after I pose this question, but, do you have a midi controller attached, that might be sending a CC message that messes with your EQ, or attached to a modifier that does so?

It's strange because now I can't even replicate it.
It has happened multiple times last weekend.
If it happens again I'll be sure to report here.

Maybe write down every button and mouse click until it happens again, then you'll have a log of the 'sequence of events' when it happens...

1. Did you make a monumental firmware leap when you installed 18.07? In other words, what firmware were you using, that sounded good, before you upgraded?
2. I'll duck, after I pose this question, but, do you have a midi controller attached, that might be sending a CC message that messes with your EQ, or attached to a modifier that does so?

1.FW18.06 (this was the one before 18.07 right?)..... but who knows, the problem could have been there earlier and maybe I just didn't notice. I noticed because I was re amping tracks with the latest firmware and exactly the same settings. So I was loading a patch made with 18.06 in Axe Edit with FW18.07 and that simply sounded weird and scooped.
2.I currently don't have any midi controller connected and didn't have one connected at the time when this happened.

so Guitarjon, what you state in your OP is now NOT happening? Just trying to understand.

When I went back to recreate the problem I probably didn't use the best scientific method because this time I started from scratch with a new patch.
However the problem also seemed to occur in this manor before.
Now there wasn't any scooped sound going on but I'll try again later in the manor I did before to see if it makes a difference.

When the ' bug' happened I basically just loaded one of my presets and right away it sounded strange.... no steps in between.

18.7 changed the ultra res cab(fixed bug that effected something to do with low end) this could make a 18.6 and earlier preset sound scoped!

sorry I had some patches that sounded scoped to my hears after the update. but yes they did not change after building a new preset or adjusting. I apologize I reckon I did not completely comprehend the complete OP.

Do I have to worry to load my old 17 Presets to 18 now? I mean when something would sound mid-scooped different to me after a Upgrade I always started to adjust my amp to the new firmware, I couldn't tell if it's a bug then or so, well perhaps I will compare them when Iam back home, new Preset from scratch vs loaded with identical settings. Actually 18.7 sounds amazing to me. Is it a Recto thing there ?

Do I have to worry to load my old 17 Presets to 18 now? I mean when something would sound mid-scooped different to me after a Upgrade I always started to adjust my amp to the new firmware, I couldn't tell if it's a bug then or so, well perhaps I will compare them when Iam back home, new Preset from scratch vs loaded with identical settings. Actually 18.7 sounds amazing to me. Is it a Recto thing there ?

That's the scary thing about this thing, sometimes it can be hard to know if you are indeed experiencing this problem or not.
I don't know if its a Recto thing and it has been tough to recreate.
I wish I would know more about the circumstances that create these 'artifacts' but I'm afraid I don't have more info at the moment.

That's the scary thing about this thing, sometimes it can be hard to know if you are indeed experiencing this problem or not.
I don't know if its a Recto thing and it has been tough to recreate.
I wish I would know more about the circumstances that create these 'artifacts' but I'm afraid I don't have more info at the moment.
Is it a difference which you would hear straight by comparing you think?

Back
Top Bottom