Piezo into the Axe

For people with a piezo pickup, more specifically those with EBMM JP models, how do you process the piezo to make it sound more full and deeper?

Has anyone tried running anything of the Fishman Aura series into the axe?

Currently for live situations, I'm FRFR. I have a preset where Scene 1 is my go to acoustic sound. Nothing crazy, just compression, eq, plus the usual time based effects. The thing that gets noticed at gigs when I play an acoustic tune is that I turn off the Cab block for this scene. So now its a direct acoustic guitar. Scenes 2-5 are clean/dirty sounds with Cabs on where I'll switch to the Dimarzio's on the guitar. The contrast is huge, its been working great.

Currently for live situations, I'm FRFR. I have a preset where Scene 1 is my go to acoustic sound. Nothing crazy, just compression, eq, plus the usual time based effects. The thing that gets noticed at gigs when I play an acoustic tune is that I turn off the Cab block for this scene. So now its a direct acoustic guitar. Scenes 2-5 are clean/dirty sounds with Cabs on where I'll switch to the Dimarzio's on the guitar. The contrast is huge, its been working great.

Hey,

Can you share your preset please?

Thanks!

Seems since nobody directly chimed in, in regards to the fishman. I have PRS p22 that I run the piezo into the axe (thanks to info/videos from Chris). I have a fishman spectrum that I occasionally use but ended up just creating IRs (so I would not need to carry around the pedal) from it. It works fine better than direct to me, but there are acoustic IRs floating around Axe-change that are just as good.

I've been running a similar setup for years and thought it was working pretty well... piezo into rear right input, magnetic into rear left input. Scene select between a chain of EQ and time based effects for my piezo and a chain of amp and cab sims and effects for crunchy tone. Worked great (I thought) but at some point a while back I noticed that I couldn't keep up with the band volume wise on the crunchy tones through my FRFR (Matrix 1000 watt into 2 CLR wedges) without getting crazy crazy feedback sounding like a microphonic tube. For a couple months I just dialed back the volume and focused on rehearsing the material.

Finally went to sort out the patch / tone and through some troubleshooting found that the problem only occurs when my two mono cables are connecting the piezo and magnetic pickups to the inputs. When I disconnect the piezo the guitar, I can play the super crunchy scene and it sounds just as intended. Mean as hell, and no unwanted noise. Double checked the blocks in the respective scenes and on the "acoustic" scene, the amp block fed by the magnetic pickup is appropriately muted and vice versa. Thought maybe it was a ground loop, but tried running both cables through an ebtech hum eliminator to no avail. Tried running the piezo through a Radial DI box and ground lifting, no avail.

Any help guys? Other ideas to try? Has anyone run into something similar? (Sorry in advance if I'm unintentionally hijacking the thread, this just seemed like an appropriate place to ask for this help.)

Can't do much at this point but reiterate what others have said:

Magnetic pickups in Right, piezos in Left for independent processing, acoustic tonematch IR (matched using your piezos), multiband compression, eq, and judicious use of reverb.

I recommend tonematching using a good acoustic guitar with a good mic. IMO, tonematches of an acoustic guitar with piezos sound little better than an electric with piezos does in the first place.

I run my mag PU into the front of the axe and I have been using a direct box into pa for piezo. I use out to foh,out to matrix marshall cab.
If I put the piezo in the rear input an it left,pan my mag input Right... WILL IT CHANGE the levels or the sound of patches I already have? Or is it a patch by patch or scene by scene as far as panning and output levels of the mag when the piezo is used per scene?

I don't even know if this makes sense
I use a GODIN LGXSA
THANKS

Back
Top Bottom