Piezo EQ treatment

DonPetersen

Fractal Fanatic
I recently recorded a acoustic guitar tone I really like. It's my old (30+ years) Cortez acoustic treated with a little bit of UAD Pultec EQ.
I re-recorded the same chords with my piezo(Graphtech Ghost)-equipped Framus and used the Ultras EQ (and only EQ) to make the Framus sound like the recording of the acoustic.

This is just pure EQ, no delays, reverb or compression, so add your own.
I still can't get the Axe's (excellent) compressor to sound like a LA2A, which is what I love on acoustic guitars, for it evens out the signal without any obvious compression, but maybe someday...

Attachments

• Framus2Cortez+Pultec.syx
    2 KB · Views: 117
interesting. i have graphtech saddles, to, so i jumped on this, but it actually makes my guitar sound more piezo-ey! it's quite a nice eq, though...

i'd be very interested in the compressor setting, if you ever manage to nail it.

Will check it out, though I find EQ on piezo's all really depend on the guitar.

I think the compressors on the axe are really solid - especially the multiband - and eq's very transparent. But for me, there has been tremendous added benefit for the UAD plugs.

don, what are the settings you use on the pultec? compressor settings are always a bit hit and miss with me...i'm mostly guessing, as i've never really been taught how to use them properly...

don, what are the settings you use on the pultec?

PultecProAcoustic.jpg

low shelf 31,8Hz 1,19Q -2,2dB
peaking 73,8Hz 2,55Q +1,2dB
peaking 183Hz 0,10Q -4,85dB
peaking 731Hz 4,53Q +2,06dB
peaking 9883Hz 1,74Q 1,46dB

compressor settings are always a bit hit and miss with me...i'm mostly guessing, as i've never really been taught how to use them properly...

then you'd love the LA2A! Just 'Peak Reduction' and 'Gain' controls :)

IMG_ua_la2a.jpg

Welcome to Antress Modern Plugins has a freeware vst version (The Lost Angel)

MLA2.jpg

Last edited:
That pultec is a magic plug.

I've got the neve1073 and the manley massive passive but the pultec is so easy...

I'll be syre to try this when I get a chance. I'm an avid piezo user and have spent much time trying to get a great acoustic sound from my GraphTech and L.R. Baggs systems on my guitars. I prefer the GT over the Baggs'. I have found that running a volume pedal in parallel with the cabinet lets a different kind of high end through. I just try to adjust the volume block to tailor the 'P.A.ish' type high end that the amp block doesn't allow. I also cut 4kHz after the volume block to eliminate some harshness. THen boost 10k on another EQ after the amp and volume block. I have a patch I'll try to upload later.

Last edited:
Interesting... I have never used a piezo sound on my Axe without an Amp block. On a side note. Don, can you take a look (listen) to my preset and tell me if your piezos bleed through to the magnetic path. i.e. your toggle is set for piezo, and you strum and hear the delay repeats from the magnetic chain...

This has been plaguing me. Sorry if this is derailing the thread... I have been using a gate after the amp block using the sidechain feature in effort to overcome this issue. The trouble with that is the presets are 'over gated' then.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Attachments

• Framus2Cortez+Pultec (shotgunn).syx
    2 KB · Views: 45
Here is one with two amps and a volume block in parallel with the cab block. I like my stuff kinda bright, so it may be a bit much for most. Let me know what you think. Ignore the delay if you can. I had the level controlled by an exp pedal to fade in at the last strum of a song for a Jimmy Page type tape delay effect. Also that is why the piezo signal is panned to the left.

shotgunn

Attachments

• JTM 45 - Piezo(2).syx
    2 KB · Views: 39
I recently recorded a acoustic guitar tone I really like. It's my old (30+ years) Cortez acoustic treated with a little bit of UAD Pultec EQ.
I re-recorded the same chords with my piezo(Graphtech Ghost)-equipped Framus and used the Ultras EQ (and only EQ) to make the Framus sound like the recording of the acoustic.

This is just pure EQ, no delays, reverb or compression, so add your own.
I still can't get the Axe's (excellent) compressor to sound like a LA2A, which is what I love on acoustic guitars, for it evens out the signal without any obvious compression, but maybe someday...

How are you connecting the piezo bridge to the axe-fx? I generally connect it to the rear right input with my input source set to analog front and input 1 is stereo. I use a mixer block up front to isolate the piezo signal. I'm asking because using your patch first connecting the piezo to rear right and then front left sounds different. the front input has more bass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom