Pick Harmonics

Randalljax

Axe-Master
Hey All new to the Axe just got it running with headphones right now .

I was working on some Models ,I am a big Lynch ,Scorps fan and I do a lot of pinch harmonics .well ok maybe not as many as Zakk but it is part of my style.

The amps I have been working with are the Bogner Blue, the Plexi bright and the HBE.

All 3 of them have that big roar when you hit a G chord and they sound like the are cranking through the phones.

The one thing I am having some difficulty with is get the pinch harmonics to ring out ..they seem dead in a lot of places. almost like there is a compressor on in the chain somewhere.

Ive have tried several guitars .hi and low output pickups.

Is it because the Bogner Blue, Plexi and HBE with the saturation off are more based on power section crunch over the more saturated preamp driven models.

Any tips

That HBE should have enough gain. That's the only amp of the three you mentioned that I have spent a little bit of time with. Try some different cabs and mics. Experiment with some PEQ before the amp. I had a patch I was trying to replicate from my Ultra. I could not get any artificial harmonics on Euro Uber on my II. I just kept tweaking. Treble, bright cap, presence, gain, pre filtering. Start there and see where it gets you. I should also say that headphones aren't the most flattering way to hear the Axe. But if it's all you got, definitely better than nothing.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

There's your problem. Run through some speakers, and your pinch harmonics will open up.

>>Don't get me wrong the phones sound great they are not cheap .I have the presets set up with the cabs in stereo .so its really full and sounds great..
..but you are probably right through my actual cab and power amp there will probably be a world of difference. if I sounds this good with phones I am sure it will be much better through a proper setup

It's not how good your headphones are; it's the fact that they're headphones. :)

Pinch harmonics are much less energetic than plain old picked notes. They need some regenerative feedback to support them, and that means your guitar has to be able to hear its amplified self, and that means headphones won't cut it. :(

Make sure your input levels are set correctly (tickle the red) and try lowering or turning of the noise gate.

the most important factor in harmonics from my point of view is new fresh strings. But I assume you've got that covered.
Maybe lower the master a bit and dial in some more pre-gain. bridge humbucker. presence. mids. uhm. yeah.
(lol I always write the same thing: mids, presence bla bla bla, works though) Compressor would also foster (that word is so ugly) the harmonics.

the most important factor in harmonics from my point of view is new fresh strings. But I assume you've got that covered.
Maybe lower the master a bit and dial in some more pre-gain. bridge humbucker. presence. mids. uhm. yeah.
(lol I always write the same thing: mids, presence bla bla bla, works though) Compressor would also foster (that word is so ugly) the harmonics.

+1 to what he said…
You want, neck pup, lots of gain, plenty of top..
And a compressor will help rather than hinder

You want harmonics? Check out Brett Garsed ;)
I've adopted this playing style and I find it sooo tasty!
Check out this clip from 5:30. It's so unique! I've never seen or heard anyone playing like this before. Always awesome to hear something new 8)

It's not how good your headphones are; it's the fact that they're headphones. :)

Pinch harmonics are much less energetic than plain old picked notes. They need some regenerative feedback to support them, and that means your guitar has to be able to hear its amplified self, and that means headphones won't cut it. :(

uh,
I can get decent pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar or unplugged electric.

It's all about technique and strings, at least for me.

As a few others have said its 99% technique. The only thing the right distortion will do is making some of the higher level overtones pop out a bit more. You should have no problem getting the lower harmonics of the fundamental, octaves 5ths & 3rds, coming out with zero distortion if your hitting the string in the right spot. If your strings are old & cruddy the strings harmonics node points will be a bit off as well.

uh,
I can get decent pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar or unplugged electric.

It's all about technique and strings, at least for me.
Agreed, without technique, you won't get pinch harminics at all. The OP's issue was getting them to ring out the way he'd like them to. If you can get the same level of harmonics on an acoustic that you get when you're amplified with gain, then you need a new amp. :)

Back
Top Bottom