Pedalboard power amp options for guitar and bass for fly rigs

JoshBittner23

Hello Fractal community,

I'm considering getting an AX8 for a portable rig solution for fly gigs. I've lurked the board awhile and saw several options for a pedalboard sized power amp for guitar, but sometimes I'm playing bass for other gigs. I'm currently using an EBS Reidmar head and that's been fine in terms of power as a normal amp. Is there a power amp option that can make itself at home on a pedalboard that works for both guitar and bass?

Essentially, I want to open up the pedalboard and simply run the last cable in the chain to the appropriate cab in the room and be able to do this whether I'm playing guitar or bass for the gig. I'm currently using an SKB PS-45 board but could switch over to one of the large pedal-train boards or something if that would work better.

To clarify, I'm more interested in the AX8 for the lower cost and since my normal guitar amp (Marshall JVM 410) has MIDI control, I can use the AX8 to do channel/mode switches and work as a multi-effects unit all in a scene if I can take my bulkier setup for the shows; nifty! I also don't need all the features of an Axe-FX II cause I don't really want to go settings crazy. I'm primarily going to use it for live playing and as an option for re-amping something in a studio setup.

If the scenario I outlined earlier isn't really feasible, I suppose I'll have to think on ditching my guitar and bass amps for an Axe-FX II rack setup if I like what I hear in a blind A/B test in person against my guitar amp.

Thanks so much for reading all this and I appreciate any help and advice!

Oh wow, thanks so much for the gear recomnendations so far!

I guess one would have to get a separate guitar power amp and a bass power amp? If it can do both, the Quilter 200 watt toneblock amplifier would be enough for my bass (and definitely guitar) needs as that's how many watts my EBS bass head can do. It's enough to feel it on stage and the amp is DI'd for the mains, anyway.

The other option I could do is keep the EBS amp as it's small enough to be put in a carry on suitcase packed with some clothes and use the AxeFX with a pedalboard power amp for guitar only. I was hoping to trim down a little bit by being able to use the same gear for everything.

Again, thanks so much for all your help!

The Quilter is superior to the Stealth in every way. Was using one for the last few months to power my Kemper. I used the Mini 101 and it was great.

The Stealth has quite possibly the WORST power supply config ever. I went through 2 before giving up on them. I started using the Fryette Peer Station for the last year and then moved to the Quilter.

I use the Quilter Power Block 200 and it's a great little power amp. Nice clean power, plenty LOUD, reliable and weighs about 4 lbs. I've used it for guitar, both with the AX8 and with my pedals, bass (straight in no pedals) and keys w/ a passive FRFR speaker. It kicks a** for all those applications. For me it's been the best fly date solution so far. Most importantly, it really does sound quite good. I'm considering getting the 101 which is lower wattage as a backup. Honestly I've never turned the Power Block past 3 and that was deafening through a Mesa 1x12 with an EV-L.

The Quilter is superior to the Stealth in every way. Was using one for the last few months to power my Kemper. I used the Mini 101 and it was great.

The Stealth has quite possibly the WORST power supply config ever. I went through 2 before giving up on them. I started using the Fryette Peer Station for the last year and then moved to the Quilter.

Good to know on the Stealth! I always feel strange recommending anything I haven't used personally. Will not "name drop" the Stealth amp again. :)

I use the Quilter Power Block 200 and it's a great little power amp. Nice clean power, plenty LOUD, reliable and weighs about 4 lbs. I've used it for guitar, both with the AX8 and with my pedals, bass (straight in no pedals) and keys w/ a passive FRFR speaker. It kicks a** for all those applications. For me it's been the best fly date solution so far. Most importantly, it really does sound quite good. I'm considering getting the 101 which is lower wattage as a backup. Honestly I've never turned the Power Block past 3 and that was deafening through a Mesa 1x12 with an EV-L.

This is fantastic feedback! Just so I understand clearly, an AX8 to a Powerblock 200/201 will get me what I'm looking to do for both guitar and bass?

If so, well I guess I'll have motivation to do my taxes as soon as I get my W-2's, 1099's, and other forms in the mail cause I'll know where I'll be spending my tax return!

This is fantastic feedback! Just so I understand clearly, an AX8 to a Powerblock 200/201 will get me what I'm looking to do for both guitar and bass?

If so, well I guess I'll have motivation to do my taxes as soon as I get my W-2's, 1099's, and other forms in the mail cause I'll know where I'll be spending my tax return!
The Powerblock is 200 watts vs the 101 at 50 watts so I can't vouch personally that the 101 will have enough headroom for bass. Obviously the cabinets you use for each situation are the biggest factor as the Quilter stuff is pretty neutral sounding. In my experience the Powerblock sounded really good as a bass head when I was running it about 50% power with the EQ set with just a slight mid scoop. There is a Powerblock Pro model now that adds an FX loop. For guitar or keys I wouldn't hesitate using the 101 and I'll probably be picking one up very soon.

The Powerblock is 200 watts vs the 101 at 50 watts so I can't vouch personally that the 101 will have enough headroom for bass. Obviously the cabinets you use for each situation are the biggest factor as the Quilter stuff is pretty neutral sounding. In my experience the Powerblock sounded really good as a bass head when I was running it about 50% power with the EQ set with just a slight mid scoop. There is a Powerblock Pro model now that adds an FX loop. For guitar or keys I wouldn't hesitate using the 101 and I'll probably be picking one up very soon.

Yeah, a neutral power amp is what I'd like. The AX8 will do the work. I'll go with the 200 watt one so I don't have to worry about having enough power if I'm playing bass through it and to have more clean headroom.

I'm plugging into 2x12 or 4x12 guitar cabs and either a 2x12 or 4x10 bass cab, it depends on the provided backline. I personally own a 2x12 Avatar guitar and bass cabinets. Made in the USA and nicely made cabs for not-ripoff prices

Yeah, a neutral power amp is what I'd like. The AX8 will do the work. I'll go with the 200 watt one so I don't have to worry about having enough power if I'm playing bass through it and to have more clean headroom.

I'm plugging into 2x12 or 4x12 guitar cabs and either a 2x12 or 4x10 bass cab, it depends on the provided backline. I personally own a 2x12 Avatar guitar and bass cabinets. Made in the USA and nicely made cabs for not-ripoff prices
Yeah, I guess all in all better to have the headroom than not - maybe I'll look for a 2nd Tone Block (not Power Block as I mistakenly called it) instead of the lower wattage 101. One thing the Quilter doesn't get enough credit for is the FUNK tone - Spanky clean James Brown / Meters / Prince for days.

For what they do, the Quilter Tone Blocks deliver in SPADES! Just tons of headroom and clean, clean tone. The 201 gives you an FX loop, so you can bypass the tone shaping and go straight into the power section.

For what they do, the Quilter Tone Blocks deliver in SPADES! Just tons of headroom and clean, clean tone. The 201 gives you an FX loop, so you can bypass the tone shaping and go straight into the power section.
The 101 has an effects loop as well but I actually preferred using the main input and Lead setting. Never had to go above about 9:00 on the Master which was like 5 watts

I'm the one who inadvertently called the Tone Block (Quilter) a Power Block (Crate). I'm pretty sure most of this thread is about the Quilter Tone Block. I owned a Power Block years ago and didn't like the way it sounded.

That's what I figured...
But the post I quoted said Power, and I'm now just double checking.
I would love a quilter, but can't afford one at the moment.

A cheap alternative is the Magnum EHX 44. I have two for sale if someone is interested since I decided to go purely FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom