Pedalboard power amp options for guitar and bass for fly rigs

I'm surprised by the Quilter comments. I bought and quickly returned a Pro Block 200 because it did not sound flat at all. I was running my AX8 with cab sims off into the return of the Quilter then into a traditional cab. It always sounded kind of mid scooped with unpleasant sizzly highs compared to other power amps I've used (Carvin DCM200L, Crate PowerBlock, Magnum 44), almost like the sound you'd get going into the front of a regular amp. It was noticeably coloring the tone and I couldn't figure out how to dial it out, maybe it was user error.

Not sure what the issue for you was, yet I just played a gig tonight using the AX8, into the Quilter Pro Block, and the into a small mic'd 1X12 cab and the sound tech was raving about the tone. I usually use 4X12's, and he made it a point to say how the tone was great out of the "small rig" and 1X12 cab.
Anyway, too bad things didn't work for you. I run out of the AX8's OUT2, no cab used. OUT1 is XLR with cab for a direct signal to FOH if desired. I don't always use the direct signal, sometimes it's just easier for the tech to mic up the cab and not try to explain the AX8.
I also have tried the Quilter Pro Block as power to my pedalboard or a couple pedals and then into a cab. This is also a viable use with the Pro Block 200, as it has plenty of headroom.
If you have a solution that works, no need to use the Quilter, yet I find it to be a nice option. I have a couple Matrix GT power amps as well. There are plenty of options out there, I simply wanted high headroom, low weight.

Not sure what the issue for you was, yet I just played a gig tonight using the AX8, into the Quilter Pro Block, and the into a small mic'd 1X12 cab and the sound tech was raving about the tone. I usually use 4X12's, and he made it a point to say how the tone was great out of the "small rig" and 1X12 cab.
Anyway, too bad things didn't work for you. I run out of the AX8's OUT2, no cab used. OUT1 is XLR with cab for a direct signal to FOH if desired. I don't always use the direct signal, sometimes it's just easier for the tech to mic up the cab and not try to explain the AX8.
I also have tried the Quilter Pro Block as power to my pedalboard or a couple pedals and then into a cab. This is also a viable use with the Pro Block 200, as it has plenty of headroom.
If you have a solution that works, no need to use the Quilter, yet I find it to be a nice option. I have a couple Matrix GT power amps as well. There are plenty of options out there, I simply wanted high headroom, low weight.

I don't have one to try but I've been curious whether a gt800 would fit under a pedaltrain, with a bit of modification. The stealth fits and a novo 24 is wide enough...would just need raising up a bit at the front for a matrix? As you have one I though I'd pose the question.

Or is this a terrible idea?

I haven't tried the Pedaltrain idea...could work, I'll need to have a look at that. Matrix is definitely excellent.
Haven't tried many others that have been mentioned in this thread. Did my research and looking around before I settled on trying out the Pro Block, plus it's expensive to keep trying out every new thing.
I'm happy with what I have, yet obviously other companies are noticing the market for this gear. I'd expect to see more options coming available, yet I needed something last YEAR, LOL!!!
Anyway, try everything you can and use what works best for you.

I haven't tried the Pedaltrain idea...could work, I'll need to have a look at that. Matrix is definitely excellent.
Haven't tried many others that have been mentioned in this thread. Did my research and looking around before I settled on trying out the Pro Block, plus it's expensive to keep trying out every new thing.
I'm happy with what I have, yet obviously other companies are noticing the market for this gear. I'd expect to see more options coming available, yet I needed something last YEAR, LOL!!!
Anyway, try everything you can and use what works best for you.

If you have a moment to have look at your matrix it'd be great if you report back. I know the quilter is a no go due to its size and while the Stealth works it doesn't leave much scope for larger stages. It's near flat out at rehearsal and I'm pretty sure it's already compressing.

The TC G system incorporates a 19inch rack unit inside the foot controller, I think that's where I got the idea about the matrix. It's the depth of it that'll determine how much to raise up the pedal train. I've not found any other 1u rack amp comparable to the matrix's specs power wise. Seems a no brainier.

I am just about to take the plunge and buy an AX-8. I currently have a AXE and MFC but portability is an issue for me. I only ever take it to gigs and I don't get the practice time to get the presets set up at gig volume. I would like to scale down the number of bags I carry.

I will keep my AXE for a while in case the AX-8 doesnt work for me.

I always play thru a Matrix GT1000 and plug into the speakers in combos. Before I had the Matrix I used a 44 Magnum which was great for portability but eventually died. it started cutting out at the end of gigs maybe because it got tired. To be clear I play in small venues her in Hong Kong so I don't need masses of volume. the other guitarist definitely prefers the tone form the Matrix v the Magnum, however Im not sure how much is software (upgrade to Quantum) and hardware.

I will need a small power amp for the AX-8. The contenders seem to be 44 Magnum, Stealth and Quilter 100. The prices of the Stealth and Quilter are getting up there. Unfortunately none are in stock here in HK so I will need to international ship.

Experts out there, what is the best option of these 3 as well as the best price/performance ratio. Please keep in mind by venue size and portability requirements.

Cheers

One great way to do it is to use the power amp section of a backline amp.
Just request on the equipment rider the amp and cabinet of your choice.
(most importantly the amp needs to have a proper fx loop in it)
With a properly designed fx loop the Return Jack is the input or insert to the Power Stage of the amp.
So now the amplifier that will power the speakers is a nice tube amp !
I believe that all the modular options out there are all solid state Class D (ouch) as much as they do the job they are still not as good as what you are probably used to. And if you can add 2 amp/cabinet rigs on the rider you can run stereo !
There are a few amps out there which are commonly available from the average backline rental companies that have this capability. There are even Marshall heads that have decent fx loop return circuitry. Try a few out to get familiar, search for the tone you need, and its best if the amp head has a Master Volume control that is positioned after the return jack (to control the volume at the cabinet) Or in some cases there is a Return Level knob. Good Luck !

Seymour Duncan's jumping into the fray as well...
http://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-170

I have a Power Stage 170, been using it with the AX8 for about 6 months or so at small venues and rehearsals. I really like it a lot, it sounds great with plenty of headroom.

I also have a ISP Stealth and EHX 44 Mag. They both sound great too, but I hate the "brick" power supply that they both use. The Power Stage uses a basic AC cord, simple and much easier to deal with.

I will likely get a Power Stage 700 in the near future for my AX FX II rig. In fact, I may even use that to do stereo with my AX8 too.

One of the drawbacks of the SD170 is the single output.
Yet if you don’t “NEED” the 2nd output, it is an excellent option.
Plus, fairly small footprint...could be able to fit on pedal board, if that’s desirable.

Back
Top Bottom