Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Pick Attack in 80% of my Patches even to simulate unnatural feels when I'm playing ...
I don't think Axe is only a "simulator of real-Amp" ... It 's much more ... You can easly start from a "trusty" simulation of something known landing in something totally new and often unexpected ..... YOUR TONE

So rethinking over this tools... I think better to let it inside this box ... As some fellow stated ... Maybe in an "hidden" page for "power user" letting "beginners" have a more friendly interface

I used to use Thunk quite a bit, but now with the Null mic in the cab block, I'm getting far better results playing with the mic proximity.

I realize that only helps people with FRFR or direct recording systems.

The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

Maybe character occasionally? Honestly it might be nice to see them go. They just mostly clutter up valuable real estate in the axe fx screen most of the time and are even a pain in the ass with axe edit IMO. With all the new cab packs, the Ultra res stuff and the upgraded performance of 13 I dont feel i'd be losing anything significant.

The big question or me is how much cpu usage will eliminating stuff like this save? I like to run some crazy wirings in my patches to get some really unique sounds from high gain patches that make your guitar sound like someone recorded 20 guitar tracks and with a bunch of amps and mixed them together to bizarre effects that well not as used are alot of fun to be creative with. to me anything that can be eliminated that you can do with other fundamental parameters to the amps etc... I would love to see go away if that means I can create nightmarish routings for sounds I really couldn't come close to using anything else, even days in a pro studio with all the amps and stomps on musicians friend recording track by track into daw.

Seeing how performance is improving so much with firmware 12 and 13 I couldn't be happier.

I only wish that my axe fx-mx II had like a 32 by 32 grid on every preset, and about 20 times more computing power. Even with high res, because of some of the intricate signal flows i've been using recently it only takes me like 5 minutes and a few blocks to start running into cpu usage limitations.

I would sell a kidney for and AXE fx III to comeout with like twice as many I/O's, 20 times as much computing power, and perhaps the ability for advanced users to not only customize a large array of amps on board, or tone match but to also be able for users to be able to create their own amp models someday, upload to the axe fx, and be able to share them like people share IRs.

A program to assist with that like cab lab does for IRs would be icing on the cake although I'm no sure that will ever happen. If anything like more I/Os, Drastically more computing power and bigger layout grid, combined with something like more preset memory featured in the axe fx xl i'd sell a kidney to have the day it's released.

If it helps declutter the interface, get rid of them. Honestly, I'm not sure what most of them do and never change from the defaults. Zap 'em, I say.

Last edited:
Cliff, I would suggest you do what you think is right. I'm all for declutter especially if there are controls already existing duplicated in other places of the Axe that do the same things.

Cliff write a piece of software that slowly removes the advanced amp parameters that dont get used regularly. so each user has their own set of favourite/most used knobs. With an option in the global menu to RESTORE AMP PARAMETERS

Regards,

Cliff, I was wondering if some of the cab parameters are also redundant now. Are proximity and mic placement the same feature?

Cliff, I was wondering if some of the cab parameters are also redundant now. Are proximity and mic placement the same feature?

There is no mic placement parameter in the Cab Block.
You may be confusing the Mic Placement parameter with that.
But Mic Placement has to do with the virtual space between the virtual mics used in the Room Reverb simulation not between the virtual mic and the virtual speaker.

I absolutely do use Pick Attack - it is a very powerful and important parameter to shape your tone and remove some harshness from the actual pick's attack on certain amps. Pick attack is the most important of the bunch. Amp Voicing is also useful and I use it regularly. Those are the 2 most important and I would be pretty unhappy to see them go.

Thunk is useful, and Dynamic Depth is useful.

I do not use Dynamics or Character much and wouldn't miss them. . .

Hey, hey, hey.....I did not sanction such creative ablaspheromy!

I'd cheekily suggest leaving the parameters there, but set them to nil effect change in the modelling, however on the display, change the values of each parameter as thus:

Dynamics: {Wet paperbag, Plank of wood, Steel pipe, Trampoline, Ski-jump, 787 Winglet}

Pick Attack: {Beer bottle top, Old cut up credit card, Nylon, Acrylic, Wooden, Real Tortoise, Real Unicorn Horn}

Thunk: {Sound of your Les Paul hitting the stage floor and cracking the headstock, Sound of your bass players head hitting the door jamb on the way to the toilet, Sound of your guitar cracking against your skull when your "guitar twirl" routine goes pear shaped}

Character: {Drummer, Shady, Suspicious, Dubious, Trustworthy, Stellar, You can play my '59 burst anytime}

Character Freq: {Always around and asking to borrow money, Pops around unexpectedly at dinner time, Hardly ever see 'em, Who?}

Dyn Depth: {Bobbing on the surface, Just see the top of his head, Only see bubbles, I think a Great White took him, 20000 decibels under the sea}

Amp Voicing: {Soprano, Contralto, Tenor, Baritone, Smoked one too many cigars}

I find when I mess with any of those things, I get dull sounding and sometimes feelilng tones. Haven't fired it up with 13.07 to try the new Bright!

Says the guy who owns the digital preamp/multi-effects processor that has 173 (and counting) amplifier simulations, 132 factory cabinet simulations, and dozens of effects. :roll..................;)

Sometimes you need "more" to see the "less".....if you have "less" you always want "more" ;)

I didn't mean to say it's overcomplicated with the parameters. It's just that with all the recent upgrades I feel like certain parameters like pick attack are redundant for me. I can get the sound i'm looking for using other parameters and to me it sounds more natural and better to my ear than using pick attack. Streamlining the GUI by removing some of those parameters would just make things feel less cluttered IMO not to mention saving CPU I Imagine. I see where people who like those parameters are coming from.

It would be interesting if there was a switch or something in global parameters to enable/disable those parameters both from functioning and appearing on the GUI. That way people who still wanted them could go in and turn them back on. Otherwise they wouldn't show up or effect the processing? Kind of like how there is a switch to select firmware version on the unit...

I for one do not use ANY of those parameters.
I assume that you are either:
(1) cleaning house to keep from having a 747 Dashboard, or more likely......
(2) That there is a win/win opportunity here wherein the elimination of these items frees up valuable space in the /GUI and/or FW memory that can be used for newer, more applicable uses after the recent evolution has rendered most these items as no longer needed for the intended deign in the intent of the architect.
Is it safe to say that it is more (2) ?? If so, if you have better use of the memory real estate - I think we just trust you Cliff, and follow your lead here. Lead us to where you want to go with this...... I am sure you have a specific reason for considering to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom