OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

looking for a recommendation for the best Ownhammer V3 cabinets to use with Fender Deluxe Reverb and Deluxe Tweed, my 2 main amps I use in the Axe, often blended. Also for the Double Verb, which I use for cleaner stuff. Thanks! Big tone influences are Jimmy Page, Neil Young and David Gilmour. Using a strat, mostly bridge pickup.

A Quick Take...

... gotta bolt to work. ;)

I have spent a considerable amount of time with the new V.3 libraries and am quite astonished at how these IR's sound and work in application. I have my preferences and mix flavors but rest assured that they all sound fantastic.a single mix IR sounds and works amazing alone or together in a concoction with older and newer libraries alike,(if you are the mad IR scientist sort).

One thing that blows me away is just how good they sound right out of the mix folder's gate. To me the mix IR's have never sounded so good. Not that they didn't sound great before,(regardless of the IR producer) but IMHO Kevin has taken these V.3's yet to another level. Super tweak friendly... if any, (pending on the cab and speaker combination) and you there... "In like flint".

The cab boxes themselves are fantastic. Very distinguishable one from another and you really can't go wrong with whichever you choose. I would be totally content with any cab from this new library with any of my old faithful and new found speaker fave's... so much so that almost all of my go to cabs and speaker combo's will be going by the wayside. No question, but that's me and never thought it would come to this sort of resololve. Basically disappointment with the new OH stuff is non-existent for me. The quality is beyond what I honestly expected .

Phenomenal work Kevin and thanks for being OCD! :) (j/k) The new Marshall TV library.. Stellar!

I'd like to say thank you for the free Marshall, that was extremely nice of you, and very helpful to me personally to hear how much better these are.

You're a machine right now!!

The cab list is a bit overwhelming, but at the same time it's amazing to have such a great collection. Keep up the great work!!

... gotta bolt to work. ;)

I have spent a considerable amount of time with the new V.3 libraries and am quite astonished at how these IR's sound and work in application. I have my preferences and mix flavors but rest assured that they all sound fantastic.a single mix IR sounds and works amazing alone or together in a concoction with older and newer libraries alike,(if you are the mad IR scientist sort).

One thing that blows me away is just how good they sound right out of the mix folder's gate. To me the mix IR's have never sounded so good. Not that they didn't sound great before,(regardless of the IR producer) but IMHO Kevin has taken these V.3's yet to another level. Super tweak friendly... if any, (pending on the cab and speaker combination) and you there... "In like flint".

The cab boxes themselves are fantastic. Very distinguishable one from another and you really can't go wrong with whichever you choose. I would be totally content with any cab from this new library with any of my old faithful and new found speaker fave's... so much so that almost all of my go to cabs and speaker combo's will be going by the wayside. No question, but that's me and never thought it would come to this sort of resololve. Basically disappointment with the new OH stuff is non-existent for me. The quality is beyond what I honestly expected .

Phenomenal work Kevin and thanks for being OCD! :) (j/k) The new Marshall TV library.. Stellar!

I will second this - part of the allure of these cabs is that they all have a very distinct character without being extreme in any particular way, and it's very easy to find applications for many of the different mix positions as well. And they're flexible too! Think that Mesa or Diezel can only do heavy stuff? Nope. Super sweet clean tones (although the Bogner really shines at them too). Hell - they ALL sound great and can be used in so many applications.

Though I'd say if you favor Mesa cabs, go for the Mesa Standard EN 08.
If you want more bite and a different taste on the lows? Do the same speaker in the Diezel.

I actually have a mix of the 03 position with the Mesa at full volume and the Diezel at about -4 to -6, and I'll be damned if the Adam Jones fanboy in me didn't have a joygasm.

The Bogner upper positions with that speaker can sound super full and really nice in the lows too. Sigh. So many options!

I have to commend Ownhammer on all of this content. Hopefully Kevin takes a break at some point but man, this is definitely the widest variety of UR content and tone coming from any one place. There may be cab packs with a greater quantity of unique cabs (and certainly the 1x12, 2x12 set is not represented here) but there isn't any other IR pack or supplier who can come close to touching the number of speaker options per cab. Seriously, if you can't find a cab tone among all of these then you're hopeless! ;) With this array of speakers though, it would be cool to have sound samples. I've bought some that I didn't really care for but couldn't audition. Thankfully the $5/speaker price (less with volume discount) makes that less concerning.

Oh yes...another nice to have...It would be really cool if OH (and other IR makers) would supply the resonance settings for the cabs too. Seems like you measure once, put that in the PDF manual, and done deal. Just saves time for those who don't want to attempt to tweak by ear. Again...small thing but would be cool if it were available to us.

Last edited:
Holy...

Kevin, in spite of the fact that I don't like V30's, I took you at your word. Downloaded the Sunn cab V30 set and picked a vintage precise mix at random. Playing a Wrecker amp through that, and laying out Tush by ZZTop.

Wow! Body, oomph, clarity, and none of that upper mid spike I remember from that speaker. Very nice!

I'm liking a lot of what I hear from Ownhammer, and I've bought quite a few cabs lately. Nicely done!!

Just bought the 412 GTR MAR-TV EDVH pack. These sound amazing.

Will be picking up a few other packs here shortly....

Thanks Kevin. Great work here.

Holy...

Kevin, in spite of the fact that I don't like V30's, I took you at your word. Downloaded the Sunn cab V30 set and picked a vintage precise mix at random. Playing a Wrecker amp through that, and laying out Tush by ZZTop.

Wow! Body, oomph, clarity, and none of that upper mid spike I remember from that speaker. Very nice!

I'm liking a lot of what I hear from Ownhammer, and I've bought quite a few cabs lately. Nicely done!!

I hear ya brother. I ran from V-30's when using amps/cabs. Since I got the AFX II and buying third party IR's, Kevin's "Essential" libraries changed my tune on V-30's. The Chinese are still not my cup of tea really but the UK made ones... altogether different story.

I hear ya brother. I ran from V-30's when using amps/cabs. Since I got the AFX II and buying third party IR's, Kevin's "Essential" libraries changed my tune on V-30's. The Chinese are still not my cup of tea really but the UK made ones... altogether different story.

Not sure if you are talking these IRs or the real speakers but I have both UK and Chinese V30s kicking around in several different cabs and I would bet my house all things equal that anyone can tell the difference. The China V30s sound and feel exactly the same.... as relatively recent UK ones anyway. The Mesa ones do sound a little different though.

Not sure if you are talking these IRs or the real speakers but I have both UK and Chinese V30s kicking around in several different cabs and I would bet my house all things equal that anyone can tell the difference. The China V30s sound and feel exactly the same.... as relatively recent UK ones anyway. The Mesa ones do sound a little different though.

Either. Real speakers or IR's. The differences are very clear with the IR's. I've only owned Chinese, and the Marshall Mode Four versions and that was all I needed to hear,(so I thought at that time). The differences between the two were clear. Much preferred the Marshall Mode Four version of the two. Also on a few occasions tried a buddy's Mesa Traditional cab and the V-30's were clearly darker than the one's I owned.

One thing I noticed early on in my quest for speakers is that I found with the speakers I owned/ borrowed to audition were that the 8 Ohm speakers were much more tame on the high end of the spectrum the their 16 Ohm counterpart. It was really cool to hear that this is clearly audible in Kevin's libraries with the same speaker models with the different impedance's.

Which would the best V3 IRs be for a Fender Deluxe Reverb / Tweed Deluxe? In the analog world I run my Vintage Deluxe Reverb into a 4x12 Hiwatt cabinet loaded with 4 celestion alnico blues and love the way the low powered speakers break up and sound. In the Fractal world I'm open to trying some new speakers. The Bogner 4x12 with Celestion Blues and EV-Ls blended sounds really good, but wondering what other cabs/speakers/combos I should try out with these 2 amps. I like to run them in paralell, on the verge of breakup so they are very responsive to picking dynamics, and then use fuzz and OD pedals to get various tones in front.

Last edited:
People have been asking me a lot what my favorite IR's are from the new V3 files and that's a really tough question so I thought I'd also ask you guys:

If you could only pick 2 or 3 of your favorite cab/speaker combos from the V3 packs, which ones would you choose?
Also what types of tones do you usually play?

If I had to choose (I can't btw lol) I would choose these:

-Marshall TV with EDVH
-Sun with V30
-ENGL with one of the V30's , sorry can't pick one..... Or maybe the Mesa with the V30-EN-08

This would be mainly for high gain stuff.

Why Bogner cab doesn't have any 8-ohm speaker option?

All the V30's (including all the 8-ohm's inferred by your question) and the Lynchback are up now for the 412-GTR BOG-ST.

Kevin can you record a clip of the bogner cab with your 50/50 blend Ev-L and alnico for the chimey sound you were talking about? I'm thinking about picking that combo up to add to my ownhammer collection.

Sorry Jvstrat, this seemed to have gotten buried. Did you still want this clip?

Which would the best V3 IRs be for a Fender Deluxe Reverb / Tweed Deluxe? In the analog world I run my Vintage Deluxe Reverb into a 4x12 Hiwatt cabinet loaded with 4 celestion alnico blues and love the way the low powered speakers break up and sound. In the Fractal world I'm open to trying some new speakers. The Bogner 4x12 with Celestion Blues and EV-Ls blended sounds really good, but wondering what other cabs/speakers/combos I should try out with these 2 amps. I like to run them in paralell, on the verge of breakup so they are very responsive to picking dynamics, and then use fuzz and OD pedals to get various tones in front.

This past week I actually was messing with some single coil neck clean tones. My favorite was, in the 412-GTR MAR-TV cab, blending the M-PR20-75 Raw Modern, H-PR-55 421, and FN-42 414 to taste, with the 421 and 414 further under the Raw Modern in level. I love the character of those old speakers that the new production speakers just don't seem to have as much of in the low gain department. I'll be doing something more traditional Fender in a little bit, just trying to knock some of these 4x12's out of the way first since they are quicker to put together.

Back
Top Bottom