OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

Most of the reason for the $5 price point of the V3 Mix Libraries is not that they are only worth that, I would feel justified selling them for 5 times that much (as is done elsewhere) given the quality and quantity of sounds available in each package, but that I expect people to endure some trial and error in finding what works for them.

I wouldn't want to talk business in public like this but this message seems to suggest that my Cab Packs are comparable to one of your $5 products. :lol Kevin that's not cool. It's misinformation.

To this end, the same amount spent on V3 Mix libraries yields vastly more bang for the buck and diversity of possible tonalities.

Bang for buck huh? Aren't you charging $5 per speaker? Doesn't my Cab Packs include 4 speakers? So they're actually pretty similarly priced. :lol Sorry man you're seriously a dear friend to me but this message came across as you trying to throw me under the bus. Not cool bro.

IMO our packs are not similar enough to be compared like this.

Sunn cab has a much deeper internal distance to the back baffle, and has a lower resonance frequency (when you palm mute, you feel it further down in the bass region), and since it is front loaded, it is also up front and not muffled sounding in the midrange and high end. Djent paradise (think Veil of Maya's "The Common Man's Collapse" tone - Marc used an Emperor cab which is a replica of the vintage original Sunn 412S I have).

Fuck, I will have to buy this one too! haha

Mikko, I made no reference to your Cab Packs, nor did I reference one specific speaker (less one kind of speaker), nor would your packs be the only applicable inference at that price point, nor did I say that price point was not a good value, nor did I indicate my opinions of what cabs I think sound the best. Cab IR's are GROSSLY under priced market wide. :)

Joey Sturgis IR's = $25 per library for one kind of speaker
OwnHammer V2 IR's = $25 per library for one kind of speaker
Clark Kent/FAS Cab Packs = $25 per library for one kind of speaker

I said, specifically, that for the somewhat accepted standard cost of a single IR library, that one could get 5 different kinds of speakers patronizing the OH V3 Mix Libraries, and chose this mark for the time being because I expect that experimentation will be enticing from my expansive collection and subsequent business model.

There's no bus, there's no slander, there's just me saying that my price points are offensively (to me) low, and that if you take the standard price point the V3 Mix Libraries are a stupid value. Not every thread in this sub forum is about just you, or me, or you and me. ;) I love you man, I would never do what you think I may be doing. This damn internet, it's so easy to take what people type the wrong way! :) However, yes, I do think one of my $5 libraries is on par in every aspect with anything out there, at any cost. :)

If DC isn't coming after you for the Superman thing, maybe Marvel won't come after me if I rename my company to The Collector. :lol

[/unnecessary, misinterpreted off topic conversation] :)

Here is my test.. of all the ^different speakers in the mesa Cab

More info on the file here...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...er-v3-[mesa-cab]-31-speakers.html#post1149403

Morten!!! Awesome man!!! Thanks so much!!!

I put this together super, super quick to show the Sunn. Strings are like 4 years old, playing is crap, it's not in a mix so it doesn't have the full impact of the nuances and harmonics, but, I'm sampling like a mad man right now and don't really have time for clips. These are the only commercial cabs that have the same speaker in them, in this case the V30-EN-16 (the OG's). The IR was the "Mix" IR.

Bogner:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/kevin-cant-djent_bogner.mp3

Mesa:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/kevin-cant-djent_mesa.mp3

Sunn:
http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/kevin-cant-djent_sunn.mp3

What is actually HILARIOUS to me, is that low frequency resonance I was talking about with the Sunn. I mentioned Veil of Maya. Some if not many would argue their most popular song is "It's Not Safe To Swim Today". If you take the frequency response of the Mesa cab with the Raw Modern 06 IR, set that as the reference response, then plot the same IR in the Sunn cab against it, I kid you not, the differential in that resonance actually makes a f**king shark fin:

its-not-safe-to-djent-tonight.jpg

So f**king metal.

Last edited:
Lol you should use the JAWS Theme for that :shock

The Sunn sounds awesome to my ears, in which of your IRs can i find them again ?!

Kevin, would you consider adding a M160 IR, or a darker sounding R121, to your librairies ? When doing mixes with your cabs, I'm often wanting to add some warm low mids, and have to use IRs from other sources… Thanks for the V3 IRs, that's the best cabs you ever released !

What you did there.......I see it [emoji3]

Heyyyyyy. ^This guy^ He got it. Was waiting for somebody to pick up on that... :lol

Kevin, would you consider adding a M160 IR, or a darker sounding R121, to your librairies ? When doing mixes with your cabs, I'm often wanting to add some warm low mids, and have to use IRs from other sources… Thanks for the V3 IRs, that's the best cabs you ever released !

When I was coming up with the mic choice I originally was messing with the M160. I ended up having the same problem with it and the M88 I have always had, which was a nasal and dull midrange I just couldn't work with, so I took it out of the equation. I don't plan on adding anything else to these, but have you tried messing around with the included 414? I set that mic up as my "beef" mic, perhaps high pass filtering that mic may pull out some of the sub lows and leave you starting out with the low mids you're after? Or, perhaps blending in the 414 of a different speaker than the one the primary IR's are from? Also, maybe just a dab of 180-250 Hz centered frequency bell curve EQ post cab? I know an amazing rock engineer that tickles 240 on an SSL to add warmth to the guitars if they are lacking a little there. Not sure if any of this helps given the answer to both of your questions were "no", but, making an attempt. :) Glad that you're digging these, sans a little low mids!

Very welcome!

Also, if I recall correctly you seem to be drawn to Mesa type IR's, and thus one would assume more mid to high gain tones with V30's. The "M-SB-75" actually pairs wonderfully with the V30-EN speakers to add low mid girth without being dead sounding (as the M75 also has some bite on top of those low mids) like many others with big low mids tend to be. This pairing is pillowy, full, and characterful. In addition to seedoftheday's post earlier here that shows the M75, justinjcm900 also just posted a clip recently of the M75 IR's. In this one they're on their own I believe, but you may be able to hear what I'm referring to:

The V30/M75 pairing is something I had many customers mention not only with the Studio Mix Marshall cab, but even this past week I have spoken with multiple in private conversation who have done this and loved it.

I've picked up a couple v3 packs, cool stuff! The creamback/mesa cab is pretty cool!

How does the mesa v30/mesa cab v3 pack compare to the HGE mesa v30/mesa cab pack? I'm still using the HGE for my main v30 sound, just wondering if the v3 Mesa v30/Mesa cab is worth picking up or if I would just be duplicating what I already have.

Back
Top Bottom