IRs OwnHammer Guitar Cabinet Essentials

Third-party impulse response pack

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
Hi everyone!

I'd like to announce the OwnHammer Essentials impulse response libraries, the first of which has just been made available on the OwnHammer website in the Wave Audio section. For future reference - as this serves as a master thread for this series of product entries - I will post the links to currently available products of this type that can be used in Fractal Audio Systems devices here as they are made available:

412 EDVH
412 ORNG
412 RECT
Classic Rock
Low Tuned
Modern Progressive

First and foremost, a small contingent of these libraries will supplant the bulk of the current wave audio catalog over time. From a feature set standpoint, these libraries are somewhat of a combination of elements and ideas from the Player Packs, (r)Evolution Bundle, and Moabi Custom, for those who may be familiar with these OwnHammer offerings. There is a condensed set of tried and true mics and mixes to greet you upon first inspection, with a couple of deep dive folders that expand on options in a less technical and more organic way for those whom may be interested in exploring further. Breaking it down into numbers, this equates to each wave audio format library containing 10 single mic files, 10 core mixes, 80 (r)Evolution mixes, and 90 mic pair mix permutations, with a Summary folder containing one mix IR per cab type for those that want to keep things REALLY simple.

Kicking things off is the 412 RECT, a familiar name but in this case a completely new set of sounds, so far as the OwnHammer gear inventory and product catalog and are concerned. This particular piece is a new acquisition and has never been sampled before or shown up as an OH IR product, and has a very unique but incredibly identifiable sound that only appears in an extremely narrow space of time in the T4335's production. The low end, while still full and resonant, is very tight without whomping or thumping excessively. The mids are very prominent, authoritative, and forward sounding giving the overall tone excellent definition and focus. The highs are on the smooth side, but with just enough bite to cut through a dense modern mix. All together, the sound is very balanced, which makes it incredibly versatile, and useful for a broad range of applications and genres.

That said, so much of early 2000's heavy guitar based music centered around the use of these kinds of cabinets as the final filter for the tone, and for those familiar, it can safely be noted that this one NAILS the tone on 'Shadows are Security' as a comparative sonic reference. While its own thing and not trying to reemphasize that observation, below is a sound clip using the "High Gain" mix IR in the signal chain:

Sonic Drive Studio has been kind enough to do the following overview video demonstrating sounds and features for this first library, as well as discussing some inherent elements for future offerings in this product subset:

I hope everyone who picks this up digs it and finds a place for it in their tone arsenal, and that everyone has a great day! :)

Last edited:
LOVE these new IRs! I made a review/demo as you can see in the OP. Not only do these IRs sound great, the feature set is amazing too! Great work Kevin!
Bought them after watching your video. Haven't had time to check them yet, but already owning a couple of OH packs I know they will be great.

Interested in that cab and speakers since hearing Nolly craving about that period of early 2000s.

I bought this pack and the Moabi pack, both are absolutely amazing. Just what I have been looking for to find that sound in my head. Just like John's video, I don't have to do very much tweaking on any of the amps. I found some of the other brands have some weird humps in the lower mids that I have to eq out on some models, these cabs don't need that treatment. Looking forward to getting the next packs.

412 RECT has quickly become my favourite set of IRs for rock and metal tones.
It even handles 8 string perfectly because of the low end control.
These are very balanced sounding IRs, I haven't heard better.

Keep em coming, I'm keen for more!
Seriously so so good! Thanks Kevin!

Bought the new Recto Essentials pack because my favorite 4x12 at home is an early 2000's Mesa OS "straight/slant" cab with the T4335 flavor of V30.

I can't believe how close the "Balanced" preset in the Summary folder sounds compared to my IRL cab. Congratulations on pulling off an IR pack like this @ownhammer , it sounds and feels incredible.

Just downloaded it.. Can't wait to try it out😊
snagged it! thanks for what you do!!
Immediately thought it was @Guitarjon in the demo, and the description confirmed it! Great song. Hoping to pick this up soon.
Bought them after watching your video. Haven't had time to check them yet, but already owning a couple of OH packs I know they will be great.

Interested in that cab and speakers since hearing Nolly craving about that period of early 2000s.

Thanks kindly, all! Hope you dig it when you dig in! :)

I bought this pack and the Moabi pack, both are absolutely amazing. Just what I have been looking for to find that sound in my head. Just like John's video, I don't have to do very much tweaking on any of the amps. I found some of the other brands have some weird humps in the lower mids that I have to eq out on some models, these cabs don't need that treatment. Looking forward to getting the next packs.

Thanks very much! Looking forward to shooting more gear, and very glad that the Moabi and RECT were to your liking and easy to use! Less futzing and more playing/creating is definitely a good thing!

412 RECT has quickly become my favourite set of IRs for rock and metal tones.
It even handles 8 string perfectly because of the low end control.
These are very balanced sounding IRs, I haven't heard better.

Keep em coming, I'm keen for more!
Seriously so so good! Thanks Kevin!

Awesome to hear! Really appreciate the kind words, and glad that these are working over a range of varied instruments and styles! When I was auditioning the dozen or so Mesa 4x12's I have to figure out which one to shoot to represent them in this particular section of the OH product catalog, and intermediary "balanced" sound was definitely ideal, so very glad to hear that that intention came through. :)

Bought the new Recto Essentials pack because my favorite 4x12 at home is an early 2000's Mesa OS "straight/slant" cab with the T4335 flavor of V30.

I can't believe how close the "Balanced" preset in the Summary folder sounds compared to my IRL cab. Congratulations on pulling off an IR pack like this @ownhammer , it sounds and feels incredible.

Glad to hear that these hit the spot of familiarity for you! I know for me personally it's a feeling of relief when a piece of digital gear really nails the sound of a piece of analog gear I love. While the physical item certainly has the nostalgia factor going for it, the digital option definitely feels like both a security blanket and a massive convenience; glad to be a part of that for you!

Available now in wave audio format for those who may be interested is the 412 ORNG Essentials impulse response library.

This particular collection of captured sounds is based around the use of the stock 16-ohm V30's from this cabinet, in differentiation from 8-ohm variants (found in the 2x12 cabinets from this brand) that were chosen to be a part of the Heavy Hitters I. This yields a sound that has a little more bite than that previous set, in addition to the inherent overall sonic changes from OwnHammer V4 to V7 procedures. "Chonky" is an appropriate way to describe the sound of this one, retaining the unique character these cabs are known for while still being balanced enough to be versatile in use and genre application.

Again, Sonic Drive Studio has been kind enough to create a run through of the features and sounds:

Enjoy! :)

Available now for those who may be interested is the 412 EDVH Essentials impulse response library.

A completely new set of sounds compared to any previous OwnHammer IR library featuring this cabinet type, this first year production 2006 specimen (public release of the 5150® III was mid 2007) has a sound analogous to analog tape: dense, punchy, and forward while tight in the low lows and smooth in the high highs. Thick and in-your-face all at the same time, while paradoxical, is how I'd sum it up shortly. The early revision T5600 speaker set loaded in this enclosure is more solid and less raspy than the later T5670 that would supplant it, allowing this IR library to fall in the more "rare" category for the gear it seeks to recreate the sound of.

Sonic Drive Studio goes over the sound and features of this library in the following overview/demonstration video:

Enjoy!

My go to cab for rock hi gain stuff in the Axe III is mostly the legacy #124 5153 mix 1. To my ears this cab just sounds right so was a no brainer to purchase the 412 EDVH Essentials library. For me this IR library is amazing, they sound incredible. Only purchased it a few days ago but a few favourites are, Vintage,Extreme,Fire and Balanced. Thanks Ownhammer.

I picked up the EDVH cab recently and am liking it a lot. In addition to higher gain stuff like in Jon's demo, it seems to pair really well with Marshall amps and the BE100, making it pretty versatile. The low end in this newer capture method is really tight and clear. I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes out in this series.

Back
Top Bottom