OwnHammer Beta Cab IR Comparison Clips

Kevin,

My apologies if I have missed this elsewhere; are you planning any Celestion Blue or P10Q IRs for this new generation?

Really looking forward to the release - and an opportunity to pay for it!

Regards,

Dan

Kevin,

My apologies if I have missed this elsewhere; are you planning any Celestion Blue or P10Q IRs for this new generation?

Really looking forward to the release - and an opportunity to pay for it!

Regards,

Dan

No worries, these threads have been pretty busy lately, I'm having some difficulty on keeping up with them (and other areas of communication) lately mysefl.

Celestion Blue is a definite, not really sure about the 10"ers at the moment. Eventually? Sure. Anytime soon? Probably not. The Jensen P12N and Jet Alnico Blackbird (12") in an open back Bogner Shiva cab are very high up on my to-do list, however, and both should be out in the next six months though after a couple of high priority 4x12's.

Just got the AOM and am working on mixing. There are only six slots for ir's to sit in. How do you add the other three to mix all nine?
Scott
Just a note to let you know there is a new release of AOMdsp available which has nine input slots. Actually now the default is nine, but you can set it as high as 25 in Settings (for windows) or Preferences (for Mac).

I also added a function that checks to see if an update is available each time you start the program, unless you turn it off in Settings/Preferences.

...Actually now the default is nine, but you can set it as high as 25 in Settings (for windows) or Preferences (for Mac)...

Crap, in the Newsletter I just mentioned 9 instead of that it can go from 9-25. Next time I need to RTFM! :)

25 slots. Some of you IR mixing junkies will be in heaven!!!

Crap, in the Newsletter I just mentioned 9 instead of that it can go from 9-25. Next time I need to RTFM! :)

25 slots. Some of you IR mixing junkies will be in heaven!!!
In the manual it points out (uselessly) that it can be set from 3 to 25. :evil

How would someone with comparatively little experience (to your's) know how to select the 'appropriate' IR for a given sound? Each of your samples sounds interesting in its own way. Yet people speak of them in what seems to be a 'this is soo much better than that' and 'its obvious' sort of fashion.

I think you just have to use your ears. I have worked with many of the 3rd party IRs and think they sound great, however, I also think many of the IRs that come stock with the Axe sound great. The Tweed 2X12 IR that Cliff graciously ported over to the Axe II for me is still my favorite for my Fender tones and I've tried A LOT of other cab IRs to take its place. Remember, the brain generally regards louder and also brighter (within reason) sounds as initially "better". I've spent the better part of the evening working with the OH IRs monitoring through my Genelecs, NS-10's and live FRFR cab...they sound very good...however, with a bit of EQ I can get nearly indistinguishable results with some of the stock Axe IRs. Will listen with fresh ears tomorrow again, but I don't think that rushing out and getting new IRs is the answer for everybody...no offense to anyone. Of course mixing different IRs...near-field & far-field can produce results that you won't get from a single close-miced IR. But if I start down the IR mixing road I'll never get anything else done! LOL

Last edited:
From what I've Tried of the Beta Bogner Cab (Man I wish I was in Town when the JumpStart was Released) these New Cabs really have the Sound I love.
So do you think the Old OwnHammer and RedWirez still stack up against these? I hear Game-Changer Being Tossed around a lot.
Obviously the OwnHammers will get updated as they are updated... But how about RedWirez? Would these Pale by Comparison Now?

From what I've Tried of the Beta Bogner Cab (Man I wish I was in Town when the JumpStart was Released) these New Cabs really have the Sound I love.
So do you think the Old OwnHammer and RedWirez still stack up against these? I hear Game-Changer Being Tossed around a lot.
Obviously the OwnHammers will get updated as they are updated... But how about RedWirez? Would these Pale by Comparison Now?

I make a conscious effort to not be in the hype game, so I personally never used the 'game changer' terms. I do feel these are a very different animal than the prior/current offerings available because they include the mic/preamp timbre as part of what is offered. I hear/feel/notice and enjoy the difference greatly.

I find the sonic qualities and overall timbre far more musical and pleasing at any volume, but more so at actual gig volumes.

That said, you can take the original OH and RW IR's and make them work with EQ, Low-Cut/High-Cut just as many (most?) have been doing for years.

The major advantage here is that it takes all of that work, expertise in EQ and knowledge and distills it into an IR that is essentially a 'plug-n-play' after you choose your flavor of ice cream. Find the IR that works and go. If want more of this or that, it's often just choosing another version of the same IR and you can go further by mixing different IR's but that is - and remains - more of the advanced type of approach.

I make a conscious effort to not be in the hype game, so I personally never used the 'game changer' terms. I do feel these are a very different animal than the prior/current offerings available because they include the mic/preamp timbre as part of what is offered. I hear/feel/notice and enjoy the difference greatly.

I find the sonic qualities and overall timbre far more musical and pleasing at any volume, but more so at actual gig volumes.

That said, you can take the original OH and RW IR's and make them work with EQ, Low-Cut/High-Cut just as many (most?) have been doing for years.

The major advantage here is that it takes all of that work, expertise in EQ and knowledge and distills it into an IR that is essentially a 'plug-n-play' after you choose your flavor of ice cream. Find the IR that works and go. If want more of this or that, it's often just choosing another version of the same IR and you can go further by mixing different IR's but that is - and remains - more of the advanced type of approach.

That is probably why I like them so much... I know only a little about proper Mic'ing and EQ'ing. So they "Speak to Me" cause they're getting me where I want to go...
I didn't get to do any Live Playing Since Firmware 6 and only had Lower Volume mixing going to 7 and then 8.
Since then I one of 2 things happened to my Favorite Preset the Mesa Boogie Vintage Orange that Started from a Factory Version I tweaked.
1) My New Patches with the JVM+Greenbacks, and my Diezel+Bogner Beta OwnHammers just sound so good it is overshadowed.
2) Changing from 6 to 7 then 8 changed the Mesa Vintage Orange.

I am not sure which it is, but when I hit the Band Room my Mesa Patch was doo doo... Just really muddy...
So I am looking maybe for a whole IR Pack... Maybe for A select Few IR's... Not Sure.
Maybe I need a better V30 Cab???
Any Suggestions?

That is probably why I like them so much... I know only a little about proper Mic'ing and EQ'ing. So they "Speak to Me" cause they're getting me where I want to go...
I didn't get to do any Live Playing Since Firmware 6 and only had Lower Volume mixing going to 7 and then 8.
Since then I one of 2 things happened to my Favorite Preset the Mesa Boogie Vintage Orange that Started from a Factory Version I tweaked.
1) My New Patches with the JVM+Greenbacks, and my Diezel+Bogner Beta OwnHammers just sound so good it is overshadowed.
2) Changing from 6 to 7 then 8 changed the Mesa Vintage Orange.

I am not sure which it is, but when I hit the Band Room my Mesa Patch was doo doo... Just really muddy...
So I am looking maybe for a whole IR Pack... Maybe for A select Few IR's... Not Sure.
Maybe I need a better V30 Cab???
Any Suggestions?

I'm using the OH 412 Bogner V31 MA200 3M for my Recto stuff.

Back
Top Bottom