OwnHammer Beta Cab IR Comparison Clips

So I guess the point of this is I wouldn't suggest users spend lots of time looking for the perfect "best" IR. Figure out your application, where your guitar should fit in the mix for the style of music you're doing and work from there. And ALWAYS audition at the appropriate volume level.

This has been my experience as well, sometimes i find IR's the sound perfect in my studio monitors, but when loud with a PA they don't sound like I expected, of course every PA system will sound a bit different, but I ended up getting a 3 way full range, half way decent PA just to check my patches at home, the results are much better for me with patches translating to most PA's.

Hey Scott, does sound really nice! The second clip, what song is that you're playing? Also, are you splitting the humbuckers for that tone?

IMO there aren't so much "good" and "bad" IR's as there are different IR's for different applications. My general rule of thumb is I go for brighter IR's in studio mix use and darker IR's for live use.

Obviously, the OH IR's are brighter in your example Scott. However, I can tell right away that IR would NOT work for ME personally in a live context because it would be way too harsh and ice picky in the highs at gig volume. When you get to the RW V30 IR it obviously sounds dark and muffled in comparison. But again, I know from experience that the same IR that seems dark and muffled in my bedroom might be perfect for a gig.

I was recently fortunate to work with a big name Fractal artist and do IR captures of his live cab setup for him. When combined with an amp match we had his rig REALLY matched well. However, one day when jamming with headphones in the hotel he tried out some factory IR's that were much more "clear" and he said they were "blowing away" the IR matches of his real cabs. He wanted to switch all his gig presets to that IR. However, what sounded great at bedroom volumes was way too harsh through the PA and he immediately switched back.

So I guess the point of this is I wouldn't suggest users spend lots of time looking for the perfect "best" IR. Figure out your application, where your guitar should fit in the mix for the style of music you're doing and work from there. And ALWAYS audition at the appropriate volume level.

Adam, I entirely don't disagree with running 'dark' live; but I use what you hear both live and in the studio. Personal preference; horses for courses and artistic choices. I do what I do because... that's what I do. Doesn't mean that's how you should run, nor that it's what you do. I can tell you from running this live over 4 full sets... it was transcendent. I loved it.

But... you can use darker positions from the IR's or mix them (I like the darker mix of positions 6, 7, 8 and 9 for instance) for brighter amps or just overall darker timbre's. At the same time you could *just* as easily dial up the amp to simply be darker. Again, personal preference.

One caution is to take out and form an opinion of what something is based on a clip (or two) without checking them out yourself. The 'purity' (for lack of a better term) of these IR's is IMHO, honest, obvious and apparent from the get-go.

This got buried. I should just buy the OH but...

What's the position x-y stuff you list? Are those mic positions that come with each cab pack from OwnHammer? When you say "OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 1-9 Mix" does that mean you mixed two positions (1 and 9) or nine positions (1 through 9)?

This got buried. I should just buy the OH but...

What's the position x-y stuff you list? Are those mic positions that come with each cab pack from OwnHammer? When you say "OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 1-9 Mix" does that mean you mixed two positions (1 and 9) or nine positions (1 through 9)?

I mixed up everything and kept what I liked. Position 1-9 mix means I mixed all nine mic positions. I did them in a 1:1 ratio across the range (or 1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1).

BTW, if I had a dog in this fight I'd most certainly lose.

This is my dog.

687722574_CkAfq-X2%20%28640x427%29.jpg

His only attack techniques are drooling and licking you.

Great dog Adam, he seems great!

OwnHammer, I must say that although I loved the 3D quality of the samples Scott posted I was thinking along the same lines as Adam from a FRFR live perspective. However, once I heard your WAV file of the darker IR I could not stop smiling and got very excited at the possibilities for live (for recording what I heard was excellent).

To be perfectly honest I have not bought any IR package before because I never felt the differences were so huge to warrant the cost. I was always able to find good stuff in the ones that came with the axe but if this is the paradigm shift I'm going along for the ride and will gladly buy in both to the new concept and financially.

Looking forward to Friday.

Everyone's tastes are different. I for example work almost entirely in the context of full mix recording for thick, heavy music. For this my traditional style IR's, which are used in this example, are appropriate as they sit impeccably and appropriately with the rest of the music. The use and application of IR's has grown out of that box, and I have adapted, for behold, today's FB post:

Public-Beta-Preview-%28Nebula-Portion-Analysis%29.jpg

Fat and Warm will do wonders for the FRFR, non commercial recordist user. There will be something for everybody, and it will come with greater depth and fidelity than anything else yet made available on the market, trust me. ;)

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here? (Regarding the two frequency responses) Are "fat" and "warm" just Nebula settings or would they be useful inside the Axe FX?

I tell this to my friends, my online buddies, my clients and my bandmates - if you run direct-to-FOH/FRFR, then it's ALL about the IR.

The amps are 'there'. They've been there for a long time; the level of accuracy in both timbre and feel/dynamics is at a stunning level. The key, and emphasis on this point, the key is the IR.

I would agree with you 100% on that; I've spent more time on the IR end of things with the Ultra/II than with any other 'module'....it really is all about the IR for FRFR applications.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here? (Regarding the two frequency responses) Are "fat" and "warm" just Nebula settings or would they be useful inside the Axe FX?

These are plots provided by VST Analyser (Christian's Blog » Measurement). The one on the left plots the frequency response, the one on the right plots the harmonic saturation level. The plot on the right the key thing to look at is the Klirr Factor percentage, as it denotes the amount of harmonic content within the sound as percentage in relationship to the fundamental. In the Nebula GUI, the DRIVE function relates to an equation that relatively raises and lowers the volume of the harmonic audio kernels - in this case harmonic orders 2 through 8 - while keeping the fundamental (audio kernel 1) at the same volume. In the default setting, I liked it best around -10 dB, which results in a Klirr Factor percentage of roughly 7%. On average, normal hardware EQ and preamps typically float from about 1%-15%, with the majority of the solid state ones landing around 2-3 percent at nominal input and output levels.

Harmonic saturation as it is supplied by my libraries is limited to the Nebula version only. Convolution Reverb is not capable of conveying this and other non-linear behavior as a technological restriction. One can write a loading program that adds this (of which there are no DAW based plugins that I am aware of that do this, however I am under the assumption that there may be something of the sort in the Axe II cab block) in addition to the IR, but is not based on the captured audio, just estimated as a generalization.

Fat and Warm are treatment options available for all formats. My Nebula implementation simply has the added convenience of interpolating the values between the set sample points on the fly without the need to mix separately - built in mixing capability I guess you could say. Much of this will make more sense when I have everything compiled, packaged, and finalized, which I still need about another day and a half to do properly. :)

These are plots provided by VST Analyser (Christian's Blog » Measurement). The one on the left plots the frequency response, the one on the right plots the harmonic saturation level. The plot on the right the key thing to look at is the Klirr Factor percentage, as it denotes the amount of harmonic content within the sound as percentage in relationship to the fundamental. In the Nebula GUI, the DRIVE function relates to an equation that relatively raises and lowers the volume of the harmonic audio kernels - in this case harmonic orders 2 through 8 - while keeping the fundamental (audio kernel 1) at the same volume. In the default setting, I liked it best around -10 dB, which results in a Klirr Factor percentage of roughly 7%. On average, normal hardware EQ and preamps typically float from about 1%-15%, with the majority of the solid state ones landing around 2-3 percent at nominal input and output levels.

Harmonic saturation as it is supplied by my libraries is limited to the Nebula version only. Convolution Reverb is not capable of conveying this and other non-linear behavior as a technological restriction. One can write a loading program that adds this (of which there are no DAW based plugins that I am aware of that do this, however I am under the assumption that there may be something of the sort in the Axe II cab block) in addition to the IR, but is not based on the captured audio, just estimated as a generalization.

Fat and Warm are treatment options available for all formats. My Nebula implementation simply has the added convenience of interpolating the values between the set sample points on the fly without the need to mix separately - built in mixing capability I guess you could say. Much of this will make more sense when I have everything compiled, packaged, and finalized, which I still need about another day and a half to do properly. :)

Thanks Kevin for a very clear and informative reply.

You better get back to work then!

:)

For those who are familiar with (and really sick of listening to) the website demos, I took literally a couple minutes to half way remix the Hard Rock track. I recorded the original track 3 years and a computer ago so all I have right now are the group stems, so the drums sound a little janky:

SoundCloud compression destroys anything you pass through it, so here's the 320 kbps mp3:

http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/OH-Hard-Rock-Remix.mp3

Additionally, this won't drag out much longer. I have almost everything prepared, I just need time to write up some quick instructional documentation, prepare my short speech, adjust a couple things on the website and I should have this up in the next 12 hours if I'm not overly interrupted. :)

Last edited:
I have almost everything prepared, I just need time to write up some quick instructional documentation, prepare my short speech, adjust a couple things on the website and I should have this up in the next 12 hours if I'm not overly interrupted. :)

Hee hee! Looking forward to it. Best be prepared for increased demand for more cabinets in the new format! You may have created a monster.

... so we're gonna be able to get all this in a package tomorow?! ...

Yup. Not a very verbose one just yet, but it doesn't have to be because it isn't going to cost anybody anything... for now... :p

Best be prepared for increased demand for more cabinets in the new format! You may have created a monster.

I sure hope so, I've certainly put my time in on this one, haha. :)

Gig on saturday, I hope I have time get these new IRs up and running in time for that :) Should be sweeeet!

Should be able to easily, while providing more options the sound is so plug and play it's disturbing. Definitely post back with your results!

Back
Top Bottom