OwnHammer Beta Cab IR Comparison Clips

BTW, if I had a dog in this fight I'd most certainly lose.

This is my dog.

687722574_CkAfq-X2%20%28640x427%29.jpg

His only attack techniques are drooling and licking you.

Basset Hounds are great dogs!!!! Grew up with one and she could hunt down a piece of bacon in a hurricane from 10 miles away! :)

I am highly excited about all this. Like "HOLY *@_!" excited. Going to be a fantastic thing all this. Thumbs up for Kevin busting his arse on this. Mixed up some more of what's going to come out - can't wait to share the 'formulas'.

Scott are you using these new offerings in the DAW or the AXE2?

Wow! That sounds fantastic! I feel like we're gonna take the governor off the axe fx with the addition of your new IR's Kevin. You should have more than enough sales to cover that axe II when the package comes out. I know I'll be first in line. If I can preorder sign me up too (extra bonus cab for pre orders maybe? ). ;-)

Just got the AOM and am working on mixing. There are only six slots for ir's to sit in. How do you add the other three to mix all nine?
Scott

Just got the AOM and am working on mixing. There are only six slots for ir's to sit in. How do you add the other three to mix all nine?
Scott

"only"? Would you in real life ever consider placing more than six mics for a cab? ;)

"only"? Would you in real life ever consider placing more than six mics for a cab? ;)

Yea, I had asked Scott about that up above, what he meant when he said 1-9, and that's what meant: all 9 mic positions mixed together in equal amounts.

ny10547: I'm pretty sure Scott is doing a sub-mix and then re-mixing with more IRs. Mixing 1 through 6, bouncing that down to an IR and than mixing that bounce with positions 7, 8 and 9.

Scott

Easy. Mix 5 in one pass. Mix the next 4 in another. Mix the two results. Done. ;)

Because you can. LOL. Doesn't mean it's good, or better. Just worth trying because... you can. :D

Because you can. LOL. Doesn't mean it's good, or better. Just worth trying because... you can. :D
let's be real here... it IS a bit of an overkill, isn't it :) ! I did an album a few years back were the producer used eight mics on the same cab. but they were all different mics in different positions and he used what he needed sound-wise for the mix but never all of them on at the same time. it sure is an easy way to get lost in the IR space :)

let's be real here... it IS a bit of an overkill, isn't it :) ! I did an album a few years back were the producer used eight mics on the same cab. but they were all different mics in different positions and he used what he needed sound-wise for the mix but never all of them on at the same time. it sure is an easy way to get lost in the IR space :)

One of the aspects of this whole sort of thing is that you can do it without phase issues. In real life? Doing that (mixing 9 mic's in at the same time) would be irrationally difficult if not just flat impossible. Here? Easy to do, easy to try, zero phase issues and you can just see/hear what happens.

The key isn't to get lost in those sorts of rabbit holes; the key is to have a goal or a reason to ask why or why not and just try it.

I ended up with the first clips I did with just 2-3 IR's as my fave. Since, I've gone on to favor just one from the SM-57 (normally Position 5) and one from the TC30 (normally Position 1) mixed 1:1 and I'm very satisfied with it. Need it darker or brighter? Just adjust what IR you use from the SM-57. It cuts, it has color, it has character, it needs zero PEQ or low-cut; there are no frequency anomalies to overcome or deal with.

IMHO - these IR's are winners. I truly and strongly believe Kevin is onto something very pure and very right with this approach and these IR's. I cannot wait for him to do his other range of speakers using this "V2" approach.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was more or less interested in how he mixed all nine....not that I would want to do that. I agree that would be a bit much. Just wanted to understand the program. I personally do only two to three...unless of course I am trying one of those cool mix recipes. All nine would probably kill me trying to figure out what to do. Again thanks.

Okay, I bought AxeOMatic and tried out the new IR's a bit last night. I confess that those cabs and speakers would not ordinarily be ones I'd choose for the core tones I prefer (Dumble, Trainwreck, mid-gain Fender). But I made a couple of slots so I could compare the new versus old versions of the same cab.

Right off the bat, they seem to take care of some of that issue in the low end I've had trouble with. A good high pass filter is still helpful, but the lows and low mids seem much less congested. The highs seem almost too crisp by comparison, but at that point I had not adjusted presence or anything on the amp block.

I seriously look forward to what you come up with in the future!

Last edited:
Can someone explain how you blend IRs, I downloaded the "Axe-O-Matic" app but I don't see a place to do a custom IR blend?

Can someone explain how you blend IRs, I downloaded the "Axe-O-Matic" app but I don't see a place to do a custom IR blend?

You can't blend IRs with the free version -- did you buy AOM DSP or download the free version? Only the $20 AOM DSP will blend IRs for you.

Back
Top Bottom