OwnHammer Beta Cab IR Comparison Clips

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
As a Fractal Audio owner, you get used to paradigm shifting changes when Cliff gets an epiphany.

Kevin at OwnHammer has been working his butt off on some epiphanies of his own for some time; the results of are somewhat showcased here.

I've been working with this and feel - honestly - this is a real honest paradigm shift here. IR's have been the key to good tones since the beginning, I've been a believer in that and have said it a thousand times. The key is the IR. I've shared ways that I work with existing IR's extensively. These new processes and approaches by Kevin are some of the best and more importantly more accurate and usable right out of the box.

Recorded direct via USB. PRS Custom 22, Fractal Axe-FX II, Bogner Red amp model, Cab block, reverb block. ZERO pre or post processing.

Download FLAC for reference level audio (link is on the Sound Cloud site)

1) OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 1-9 Mix
2) OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 3-6 Mix
3) OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 5
4) OH Stock V30 w/ SM57

5) RW Stock V30 w/SM57

Here we go...

FLAC Download Link: Click Here!

And more dynamics exhibited, lower gain. Same setup but with a Division13 CJ amp model (new IR only on this clip):

FLAC Download Link: Click here!

Last edited:
Wow, that's really cool and really impressive. It's almost embarrassing for the RW when you get to the end. I'm really looking forward to this.

Nice!
Thanks Scott.

Now the wait.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

those new IRs sound fantastic! What do you mean by 1-9 mix? Is that a blend of multiple IRs that you made Scott?

those new IRs sound fantastic! What do you mean by 1-9 mix? Is that a blend of multiple IRs that you made Scott?

Yes, it is a blend of the IR's. It's a 1:1:1:1 etc. mix of the new IR's from positions 1 - 9 all together; and then different groupings are possible depending on how/what you want from the speaker cab. Need a darker version of the cab? Mix some of the darker positions, etc.. Same for brighter.

Or you can keep it simple and just use one of the IR's. I used the center position 5 for the third clip.

very cool! I feel like the amps are pretty damn good in the axefx and that speaker cabs seem to have way more influence on tone in the end. I can change between 10 high gain amps and the results are similar, but change the cab and it's like night and day with each one.

very cool! I feel like the amps are pretty damn good in the axefx and that speaker cabs seem to have way more influence on tone in the end. I can change between 10 high gain amps and the results are similar, but change the cab and it's like night and day with each one.

I tell this to my friends, my online buddies, my clients and my bandmates - if you run direct-to-FOH/FRFR, then it's ALL about the IR.

The amps are 'there'. They've been there for a long time; the level of accuracy in both timbre and feel/dynamics is at a stunning level. The key, and emphasis on this point, the key is the IR.

How would someone with comparatively little experience (to your's) know how to select the 'appropriate' IR for a given sound? Each of your samples sounds interesting in its own way. Yet people speak of them in what seems to be a 'this is soo much better than that' and 'its obvious' sort of fashion.

I tell this to my friends, my online buddies, my clients and my bandmates - if you run direct-to-FOH/FRFR, then it's ALL about the IR.

The amps are 'there'. They've been there for a long time; the level of accuracy in both timbre and feel/dynamics is at a stunning level. The key, and emphasis on this point, the key is the IR.

Exactly.

I hear you on this. But, being there are different kinds of FRFR speakers to choose from does it not vary the best IR for the FRFR speaker choice? My EV ELX115P speakers using the same IR as you Scott with your RFC NX12-SMA will not be exactly the same. Correct?

Well that'a just great. Just bought be some IR's from OH and aomDSP last week. Man it bugs me when this happens. OH well... For the positive, the beta/new IR's do sound very nice.

Well I didn't like the sound that much and particulary when pushed hard... hm... but I don't know if it's the amp/guitar and/or the IR. Sounded tiresome to me, even though I am definitely no rocker I can like really distorted sounds. I am somewhat puzzled what's so great about it... maybe it's not my kind of sound and because of that my ears don't work?

Back
Top Bottom