Overdrive worry

andyp13

Power User
Hi guys
I am currently a TC G-System user, and about to pull the trigger on an Axe FX 2 XL and MFC-101 controller.
The thing I love about the G-System are the loops to enable me to use my own overdrive pedals - I use the Xotic AC (and love it). I do think its a real shame that the AXE FX does not have loops available for pedals as it would be the perfect unit if it did.

And this is my biggest worry about crossing over. I intend to use a 4CM with my Boogie MK V and 2 x 12 Cab. But I am a little worried that I will not be able to recreate the sound of my Xotic AC, and as a result lose the lead tone that I love.
I also use an Xotic RC before the AC (drive on full) to kick even more drive out of the AC when needed, would I be able to do that?

I do like the G-System but I am disgusted with TC for completely ignoring its customers - I payed £1000 for the unit and they offer no support what so ever, the supply faulty software for editing and they ignore all emails, so Im finished with them.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help/advice about my dilemma.

Regards to all

Andy.

Yes you can set up effect loops in the axefx and if,you're not quite sure about going that route but want something similar and better than the TC, check out the new FX8 by fractal.

How do you mean I can set up effects loops in the axefx?
I don't want the FX8, as I really want the axefx and 101 pedal, I will be using some of the 101 switches to send MIDI CC to switch vocal harmonies on/off etc....
So are you saying I could put my Xotic in a loop of the zxefx and switch it in/out on the pedalboard?
Would I have a spare loop if I'm using it via the 4CM? or would I need to use the whole unit in front of my amp?

Andy

How do you mean I can set up effects loops in the axefx?
I don't want the FX8, as I really want the axefx and 101 pedal, I will be using some of the 101 switches to send MIDI CC to switch vocal harmonies on/off etc....
So are you saying I could put my Xotic in a loop of the zxefx and switch it in/out on the pedalboard?
Would I have a spare loop if I'm using it via the 4CM? or would I need to use the whole unit in front of my amp?

Andy

If you are using the 4 cable method, put drives in the fx loop would not be ideal. I would not go that route. If you need pedals midi switchable, you would probably want to use something like an effects gizmo or some other switcher. I use the effects gizmo for my drive pedals into the front of the Axe-fx, it works well.

That sounds like a good option (though more expense), Did you not find the axefx overdrives to your liking? is it not as good as using pedals...

That sounds like a good option (though more expense), Did you not find the axefx overdrives to your liking? is it not as good as using pedals...

I use it for 2 fuzzes I really like, a Zveks Fuzz factory and Stomp Under Foot Violets Ram's Head. The Fuzz Factory isn't emulated on the Axe-fx, and the Violet Rams Head has a different flavor to it than the Big Muff on the Axe-fx.
I also use a POG 2 up front. For all other drives I use the Axe-fx. I probably have ~ a dozen really nice drive pedals I could use, but the Axe-fx sounds as good as most of them.

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up, I have seen a G-Lab midi switcher that would do for two pedals and it's only about £60, so if I cand get the AC sound I want, then I will get that and put it in the rack with the AC and RC.

That's good to know, thanks for the heads up, I have seen a G-Lab midi switcher that would do for two pedals and it's only about £60, so if I cand get the AC sound I want, then I will get that and put it in the rack with the AC and RC. ��

That ought to work fine. With AC and RC emulations, do not try to copy the hardware settings on the emulations, just use your ears. Also, experiment the with FET Boost instead RC emulation, you may like it more than the RC emulation (or not ;) ).

for what it's worth, i used the Ac plus and bb plus as my main drives for a long time...and the Axe nails them, to my ears. haven't for one second wished that i had the "real" pedals...

I came over from the G-system as well. I can happily say I have no more need for any pedals.

1 Guitar
1 Axe FX
1 MFC101
1 Mission Expression Pedal

setup takes about 5 minutes with no more worry about pedals, batteries or heavy equipment. You will Love it!

I came over from the G System as well, and a Mark V amp, I don't miss it at all and haven't looked back. It's been about 5 months now. User support is phenomenal, and the community support in the forums is unmatched anywhere. Fractal is the one company and tries, and succeeds, in getting it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also came from a G-system and pedals. I do NOT miss the hiss, hum, buzz, tone suck or massive weight of my G-system rig. The distortion pedals in the Axe sound great, with the added bonus of additional tone-shaping in each drive block. "Back in the day", I often had to rule out certain pedals because they lacked the eq control I needed (especially to roll off some low-end). With the Axe you get some eq control both before and after the "pedal" to really dial it in if needed, without even having to add eq or filter block(s) unless you want some more radical eq-ing.

I agree with Java above.......

You do not put the OD pedals in the loop of the AxeII.
I was a G-system owner for years also and left pretty much for the same reasons you state above. I own the AxeFXII and an MFC101 and use them in 4CM 98% of the time when playing live. You could look into using the drive blocks within the AxeFX to suite your needs for those specific pedals. Or, as stated above, if you want to incorporate your current pedal lineup you will need to use a third party solution (ex. effects gizmo, rack gizmo from RJM music)

When I am feeling strong :) and am playing a larger venue where I can easily roll my 12u rack into the place....I have a RJM Rack Gizmo setup with pedal(s) drawers and run the AxeFX in 4CM with the Rack Gizmo and use the MFC101 to change presets as well as the rack gizmo presets I have with pedals.....works great and sounds awesome!

I do think its a real shame that the AXE FX does not have loops available for pedals as it would be the perfect unit if it did.

The Axe II does have an FX loop. It uses output 2 and input 2 as the FX loop send and receive respectively. All you have to do is put an FX loop block on the grid wherever you want the pedals inserted and use input and output 2 to patch in the pedals.

Do you have to put an amp block in when you use the 4CM method?
IV had a play with the axe fx plugged into the Boogie return but even with the amp switched to bypass in the global menu it still has a massive influence in the sound, if I remove it the volume drops significantly, so I have to put it back in?

Back
Top Bottom