OS X Driver Issue

The Axe Fx would stop being recognised by Axe Edit after about 10 minutes or so of being connected and I couldn't find ANY reason why. I eventually managed to replace the old banks with the latest ones and that fixed the issue, I dunno if this helps anyone haha but I hope it does :)

Apple is too busy with their iPhones and iPads products and something like a USB driver fix usually takes them awhile. I use Logic Pro 9 and they take a long time to upgrade! For example, my video card is not recognized by Logic Pro 9 when using 64 bit mode.
It's been a year and they still haven't fixed the issue! The Film and music industry to them ,is like a mistress's stepchild! Lol!

I am using a Macbook Pro OS X 10.7.5 with 2.8ghz Intel Core I7, and 16gigs of RAM. My DAW is Logic Pro 9. I have two issues that manifest only after a length of time, sometimes 45 mins, and other times more than 90 mins while attempting to use USB for tracking. They are the "vinyl crackle/pops/ticks" and the other phenomenon, is where a 1 second latency occurs. I strum a chord, and I don't hear it through my monitors instantly anymore. I have to close the session turn off the Axe and restart the Mac to fix it.

I can't say with certainty, if simply closing the Logic session and reopening it, would fix it, or if doing that AND restarting the Axe FX II would solve it, but I do all three steps.

I was able to stop hearing bit crushed/distortion by recording at 48K instead of default 44.1K

+1

Similar set up: Macbook Pro. Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7. 8 GB of RAM. Logic Version 9.
Similar experiences: 1 second or longer latency after some length of time working with the system and crackles/pops. Mac and Axe-FX restart required to fix.

My iMac is also a pain to use with axe edit. Fractal robot luckily works and i can upload new cabs etc. to my axe. The good thing is, that i've learned to tweak Axe fx from the front panel very well.

Regarding the USB problem, mine simply goes silent every once in a while, typically once or twice during a 2-3 hour session of litening to YouTube videos and playing. Turning the AxeFxII off and back on brings it back. My Digitech GSP1101 never did this over 4 years. This is to a MacBook Pro 10.6.8 and AxeFx 10.02. Still have never used Axe Edit or downloaded any presets. Still sounds great though, just waiting for the fixes.

My iMac is also a pain to use with axe edit. Fractal robot luckily works and i can upload new cabs etc. to my axe. The good thing is, that i've learned to tweak Axe fx from the front panel very well.

I don't think the problems with Axe Edit have anything to do with OSX's USB drivers.
Axe Edit simply doesn't work properly with the Axe-FX II and is known to not work properly.
We've all been advised not to use it and to wait until the new replacement for it is out.

The OSX USB problems are a separate issue.

You will need a new driver for your Mac. We need to package and sign the driver so it will be a while. I also want to test it more fully first.

Fantastic !!

If you need someone to test it, would be happy to oblige. (Testing stuff is part of my day job, so am used to the risks.)

Thank you cliff.

FYI it's not the USER Library, it's the root Library folder. (You might only see Axe-Edit in the user Library folder.)

and if you download it with Safari, it forces it into a .txt file - you need to remove that extension in the Get Info window, or just download it with Firefox instead.

20 minutes in and it's working great. i'll keep testing.

wonder what needed to be changed?

Last edited:
Well - mixed results for me so far on OSX 10.6.8. Updated Axe-Edit patch for fw 10.06 and downloaded this .hex file and copied to the correct directory. Rebooted the iMac and Axe FX II.
I see the Axe FXII in MIDI Studio, but not under Audio Devices (with the previous driver I saw two Axe FX II instances here, one out and one in - now none).
I fired up Fractal Bot and it connected to the Axe FX II ok. I have had the Axe Edit 1.9 beta window open for 20 minutes or so farting around with it without any issues. (although I've noticed scrolling through presets in Axe-Edit also updates the presets on the front panel of the Axe FX II, but not the other way around - maybe this was always the case tho? Don't want to muddy the waters here.)
I cannot test recording in Pro Tools tho as there is no device showing up.

Just passing along the info. Quite possible I am just missing something. I will keep trying things here.

thanks!

did you delete the old .hex file?

select the new file you added and press Command+I (Get Info). in the middle of the new window under Name & Extension (you may have to twirl down that arrow) does the filename have a .txt on it?

i think the file wasn't "installed" properly so you aren't experiencing anything new yet.

Back
Top Bottom