OS X Driver Issue

Chris, first of all thanks so much for all your posts on here - your videos and advice have helped answer a lot of questions for me!

The filename does not have the .txt extension, it is .hex.... In the directory I see axefx2load, axefx2load.hex and axefx2.unload... under the "Kind" column tho the other files are unix executable files, and the .hex file says is a document (?). I did use Safari to download... I will try to download again...

yeah, it will say "document."

if you are in the regular folder view, it may not say .txt, but going to Get Info will reveal it actually has the text extension on it. Safari definitely made it a text file for me.

same thing - downloaded with safari and it saved as axefx2load.hex.txt extension. I removed the .txt and got the warning about changing the extension but now i'm pretty sure it is .hex...
Just to confirm - you see the Axe show up (once) in MIDI Studio and Audio Devices?
thx

I went and reinstalled the July 2012 driver again, and now once again see the two AXE-FX II audio devices - and Audio Out (0 in /2out) and Audio In (4 in/0 out). So I'm wondering if this is related to OSX 10.6.8? You're probably more up to date than me?
thx

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but somewhere between 1 and 2 hours of use, the bit crush is there. :(

Apple's implicit feedback algorithm sucks. The clock is slipping. I will increase the buffer size in the Axe-Fx to compensate but Apple really needs to look into this rather than giving us the brush-off. I've gotten nowhere with them. They keep giving me lame excuses and urging me to "mark the bug ticket closed" which I refuse to do since it's not fixed.

Apple's implicit feedback algorithm sucks. The clock is slipping. I will increase the buffer size in the Axe-Fx to compensate but Apple really needs to look into this rather than giving us the brush-off. I've gotten nowhere with them. They keep giving me lame excuses and urging me to "mark the bug ticket closed" which I refuse to do since it's not fixed.

And rightly so Cliff. FWIW, I'm sick to death of Apple's business and design strategies. I'm seriously considering moving to a Hackintosh for half the price.

I've doubled the size of the buffer for the next firmware. This should "fix" (or rather mask) the problem but latency can increase. There's no reason to need a 2K buffer for USB audio but if that's what it takes...

Hi i am on windows..and i can not go lower than 256 on the buffer on my i7 pc running cubase 7,with Axe fx 2 as soundcard.
Will the increase in buffer size in the Next firmware,do so i must og for 512 or 1024..??

This thread is about OS-X.

I get the same problem with my Yamaha 01v96i that does USB audio (with a Yamaha driver) so definitely apple's fault here. Maybe get someone more famous-er to tell them :)

my issue is definitely repeatable in OSX 10.6.8. If I paste the July 2012 driver version of the .hex file and reboot the Axe, I see two Audio Devices - an Audio In and Audio Out. If I paste the new updated .hex file and reboot the Axe, they disappear - no Axe audio devices show up.

Increasing the buffer size should prevent it from happening but it's not really the ideal solution. The problem I'm seeing here is that the aggregate transfer rates are matched over a very long time but there is short-term drift between the input and output rates. IOW, if the Axe-Fx sends 10 million samples to the Mac it gets 10 million back but in the short term there can be significant mismatch, e.g. if the Axe-Fx sends 100K samples it receives, say, 102K back which can overrun the input buffer. So I have to increase the input buffer to handle this short-term mismatch. I'm guessing the filter on the software clock PLL is too stiff and perhaps underdamped.

my issue is definitely repeatable in OSX 10.6.8. If I paste the July 2012 driver version of the .hex file and reboot the Axe, I see two Audio Devices - an Audio In and Audio Out. If I paste the new updated .hex file and reboot the Axe, they disappear - no Axe audio devices show up.

From the manual:
Mac Minimum Requirements:
OS X: 10.7.4 or later
CPU: Intel Processor
Memory: 512MB minimum
USB 2.0 Support required

From the manual:
Mac Minimum Requirements:
OS X: 10.7.4 or later
CPU: Intel Processor
Memory: 512MB minimum
USB 2.0 Support required

Sure wish you could find some way to make the Axe-II's USB drivers backwards compatible to at least OS 10.6.8.
Based on my two previous attempts to use Mountain Lion on my system (never tried Lion) there are all sorts of good reasons not to update the OS from 10.6.8 which is totally stable in all other respects.
There are a great many people out there using Macs for music who will not upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion.

Back
Top Bottom