Options for 44.1K recording only

mattseed

Inspired
Hi guys, I want to record some tracks onto existing songs that were all done at 44.1K.

Now I know the Axe a FX is 48K output only on the USB but is that the same for a SPDIF connection. I'm not to familiar with how SPDIF works technically speaking?

I also don't really understand what an AES cable is, it looks like a mic lead to me but is that a digital connection ? My RME fireface400 has the ability to accept an AES so is this preferable to SPDIF for any reason ?

I need a run of about 4 to 5 metres ?

Thank you for any help.
Matthew

Damm ! Out of interest why is it set at 48K I know it's one option but so is 96K and from my years of reading sound on sound etc most folks use 44.1 K in home studio setups anyway ?

Damm ! Out of interest why is it set at 48K I know it's one option but so is 96K and from my years of reading sound on sound etc most folks use 44.1 K in home studio setups anyway ?

I have used both 48k and 44.1k Not sure what the big deal is though, if you use 48k and then go to 44.1k, or just leave it at 48k, yeah it's an extra step which I can see as being annoying, but what other negatives are there? I am asking because in the few years I did the 48k to 44.1k I never noticed any so maybe I missed something hahaha. I do now use 44.1k when doing collaboration projects because it is easier to keep everyone at 44.1k but on solo projects I still don't see or hear any difference in either.

Yeah that's my view that 48k over 44.1K ain't worth writing home about. And of course CD's or any other format of commercial release is 44.1K so it's gonna end up that way in the end. Shame the axe fx out of all the options it could have picked it picked that one. I don't really get it......all this said I'm not the most techy in the world so maybe someone or even Cliff could explain the choice. Not that this would change anything but hey. My only snag is I now have to use the D>A convertor in the Axe to go to an analog cable into my RME to use it's A>D to get into logic. Shame really.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question. There are no real negatives to what you said. My problem is I have about 16 songs all half way done that need some guitar parts layering and they are all in 44.1 ! I am told you can't just make them 48K so I'm stuffed.

Totally man!!!! That I can relate with, had that happen a few times hahaha. I am using Reaper these days and if I do have 48k files, and I change the project to 44.1k from what I have noticed "not a Reaper expert" I don't notice a difference even then at least in the project, I do end up dithering and so forth most projects with Izotope and all seems to work out, I have no idea if it works on other DAW's this way, would be cool if it did.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question. There are no real negatives to what you said. My problem is I have about 16 songs all half way done that need some guitar parts layering and they are all in 44.1 ! I am told you can't just make them 48K so I'm stuffed.

You can convert the projects or files to 48khz with a larger number of programs. Most daws can do it or a decent audio editor can batch convert the raw files.

Yeah,i do this with old songs i have on my PC,using Cubase 7.5
I just set the Old .. to 48khs.. and cubase does the JOB ;)

I was a bit scared,but it is so easy.

Or as some say,use the line out of the axe fx. (rocking old style)

The big difference is that the 44.1 files that are for CD are only 16bit and when compare 48kHz 24bit vs 44.1kHz then the difference is significant. The other thing is that a large portion of digital hardware is 48kHz by default. But the big thing with the AxeFXII is that the DSP is hardcoded to a 48kHz clock and cannot be changed. Hardware SRC's are very pricey for a quality device and Cliff has stated that software does a better job in his experience. The added cost for nonoptimal quality was something that he opted not to pursue.

Thanks guys, I use Logic Pro X I am not sure if you can convert with that? I also use UAD plugins, if I run at 48K will this mean I will get less instances of plugins? No Andrew I record at 44.1 at 24bit. Cheers.

Logic converts as you drag files into the project. So if the project is set to 48, dragging the 44.1 files in will convert them on the fly as they are opened in the project. Makes no discernible difference that I have ever noticed to performance for plugins but I only use AU stuff.

Thanks Vinny, do you mean then the best way is to create a new song in 48K then drag from 44.1K song each track into the 48K and it will convert them. P.s are you the Vinny who plays/played with Gary years back ? Matt.

Thanks Vinny, do you mean then the best way is to create a new song in 48K then drag from 44.1K song each track into the 48K and it will convert them. P.s are you the Vinny who plays/played with Gary years back ? Matt.

I have only done this the opposite way round as all my studio runs at 44.1 and is clocked from an Apogee Big Ben. When dragging 48k stuff in, it just changed them all to 44.1k as it imported them so it will be the same the other way round. So yes, create a 48k project and drag the 44.1k files in.
Yes, Matt it's me :) I left Ten in about 2000. maybe a bit later. Cant remember, it's that long ago haha. Still see him occasionally when we are playing the same gig etc.

... also, since you are using a Mac, the aggregate device editor allows you to correct for 'drift', which easily handles the AFXII 48K into a 44.1 project.

For my current project I've bounced all the tracks in 44.1k to a 48k single mp3 and used it as a guide track in a seperate 48k project just for guitars. Then I imported that project into the original.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

well all the modelling runs at that, so if they used 44.1 the signal out of the analog outs would be of a lesser quality. 96k would be great, but maybe its too intensive

Here is info on converting the project and existing files to 48k in Logic Pro X:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13448

You could do this to a copy of the project to record the Axe tracks and export that recording as 44.1k to import into the original. Or, just use 48k going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom