Options for 44.1K recording only

You don't need to convert in Logic X. It can do real time sample rate conversion. It can automatically convert the Axe-fx's 48 to 44.1.

For my current project I've bounced all the tracks in 44.1k to a 48k single mp3 and used it as a guide track in a seperate 48k project just for guitars. Then I imported that project into the original.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I always track guitars, vocals and bv's like this by making a virtual 'slave reel' in Logic (without the sample rate conversion as I don't need that). Makes working on the project much quicker for me. I know they originally did this to save wear on the master tape but I find using this method, there is less clutter to deal with. Just the backing track mixed down to stereo and what you are actually working on.

You don't need to convert in Logic X. It can do real time sample rate conversion. It can automatically convert the Axe-fx's 48 to 44.1.

I am sure I could do this within my Apogee Big Ben too but not sure. Everything in my studio is clocked to that at 44.1k

I always track guitars, vocals and bv's like this by making a virtual 'slave reel' in Logic (without the sample rate conversion as I don't need that). Makes working on the project much quicker for me. I know they originally did this to save wear on the master tape but I find using this method, there is less clutter to deal with. Just the backing track mixed down to stereo and what you are actually working on.

I do the same thing, using stems in Pro Tools. A lot times I print the reverb returns as a separate stem too.

Thank you all for the help. Looks like converting my songs is an option after all, I don't mind recording at 48 moving forward if it's not a major drain on my host DAW or my UAD plugins. And the axe would be the only reason I'd be doing it as my end result is CD at 44.1 so I don't see the point. I have read many articles over the years in SOS magazine on this subject, about big studios recording at 96k 24bit. If you record something at 96K 24bit then convert to 44.1 16bit for CD is that better than recording at 44.1 16bit to start with ?

Vinny, nice to hear from you. You probably won't remember me but we met a few times back in the day. I think the last time was at Gary n Zoe's house talking about......well....guitars of course. Glad to hear your still in the game and Gary is, saw you guys a few times back then. Cheers.

Being someone who works in math everyday, I would say it is because of accuracy. This is how I look at it....

Think back to your math and science classes in school. If you are working on a problem that has many steps, and if you round your numbers after every step your final answer will eventually be pretty far off from where it should be. You have introduced inaccuracy by losing accuracy/resolution through every step. It is MUCH better to never round and keep all the accuracy you can until the very end. Only round once at the very end of the process.

If you keep higher precision/accuracy/resolution through the entire project and only round at the end, your final result will be more accurate to what you started with.

Thank you all for the help. Looks like converting my songs is an option after all, I don't mind recording at 48 moving forward if it's not a major drain on my host DAW or my UAD plugins. And the axe would be the only reason I'd be doing it as my end result is CD at 44.1 so I don't see the point. I have read many articles over the years in SOS magazine on this subject, about big studios recording at 96k 24bit. If you record something at 96K 24bit then convert to 44.1 16bit for CD is that better than recording at 44.1 16bit to start with ?

Vinny, nice to hear from you. You probably won't remember me but we met a few times back in the day. I think the last time was at Gary n Zoe's house talking about......well....guitars of course. Glad to hear your still in the game and Gary is, saw you guys a few times back then. Cheers.
Yes, I remember that. Long time ago haha.

48khz to 44.1khz samplerate conversion is definetely in my wishlist for the drivers even if there is "other/better solutions" out there. On-the-fly conversion would improve my workflow imensly.

Back
Top Bottom